You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: THE STRANGERS

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It would be an opportunity to use the new spoiler feature 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not even sure its possible to spoil it.:laugh: Nothing much really happens, and thats the whole problem with this film.

We'll pop the cherry on this anyways.....

Hidden Text:

The only semi interesting turn of events is when the guy shoots his friend who comes to visit thinking its one of the 'strangers'. Once he finds the gun, this whole thing is ridiculous. Accidentally killling someone can happen, but when you have a gun, three dipshits in a mask(with no guns) are not going to have carte blanche over your property. Three people break into my house, and I guarantee at least one of them gets shot almost immediately. Other part of this that helps ruin the film is when the guy(already forgot his name) tries to go get help, he leaves Liv Tyler there. NOBODY would leave their significant other at home alone while three killers stalk their property and their friend is already laying there dead.

I was bored to tears during this film, so if I leave anything out, maybe burninghills or saikin can add to it.

The 'strangers' decide to kill the couple by stabbing them. After stabbing them, they leave and head out in a truck. They see a couple kids, one of the chicks says something to him, and then they drive away. Those kids go to the house and see the crime scene. When they go towards Liv Tyler, she sits up and screams.

James

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Did anybody watch this? I had a pretty busy weekend and wound up not going. I'll watch it in the next few days.

I saw it Friday.

It was a breath of fresh air.  It relied more on actual horror and suspense, not gore.  (I'm not talking M Night suspense either):haha:  The best part is how the killers have no motive, as i'm sure you guys have noticed in the previews where they just say, "because you were home."  That's their motive, which makes these guys so much scarier.

Let me tell you, i have never heard a theater jump and scream like this before.  This is the way horror should have been the past decade. 

A little more gore wouldn't have hurt it at all, but it was nice to see a film that tried really to underplay the gore, but still remain such a creepy movie.

Are there two versions of this film in existence?:haha:

Not only was I not scared, the whole theater was comatose. I could have stole everyones purses and wallets and nobody would have known.

The fact they had no motive didn't make it scary to me. Now give those killers a bit of personality, and we've potentially got ourselves a damn good flick in the making. There was no point in each killer having their own unique mask if the film makers don't take advantage of it.

The "because you were home" line isn't effective at all because its one of the only things said by the killers.

As I mentioned in my spoiler,

Hidden Text:

once the gun enters in to the equation

, the film stops being believable.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:

Russ, have you watched Funny Games yet? Doesn't matter whether its the original or the US remake because they are both directed by the same guy. I'd recommend either one of those before this train wreck.

I still haven't watched Ils, which is supposed to be a bit similar to The Strangers. I actually had it at home awhile back, but I needed another disc of the Sopranos and wound up sending it back before watching it. Gonna order it again and should get it within a few days.

James

James wrote:

Someone I know hadn't watched this yet, so I took her to see it the other night. I will eat a turd sandwich before forcing myself to watch this a third time. The second viewing made the blandness and complete lack of originality stand out even more.

Hidden Text:

Liv Tyler's ankle injury

is just so predictable. Its like they had to add that extra obstacle, like having three killers on your ass wasn't a difficult enough task.

Also, the way both victims react isn't based in reality. If people break into your house, are you gonna allow them to chase you around the house, especially when you have a gun during the first part of the chase?

I have one other question:

Why didn't either of these dipshits or the killers turn off that loud music immediately?? If someone breaks into my house and my music is still blaring, I'm gonna attempt to turn that shit off as quickly as possible so I can hear. If I was breaking into someones house, I'd also want the music off. Cant hear what the victims are doing with noise pollution in the background.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Did anybody watch this? I had a pretty busy weekend and wound up not going. I'll watch it in the next few days.

I saw it Friday.

It was a breath of fresh air.  It relied more on actual horror and suspense, not gore.  (I'm not talking M Night suspense either):haha:  The best part is how the killers have no motive, as i'm sure you guys have noticed in the previews where they just say, "because you were home."  That's their motive, which makes these guys so much scarier.

Let me tell you, i have never heard a theater jump and scream like this before.  This is the way horror should have been the past decade. 

A little more gore wouldn't have hurt it at all, but it was nice to see a film that tried really to underplay the gore, but still remain such a creepy movie.

Are there two versions of this film in existence?:haha:

Not only was I not scared, the whole theater was comatose. I could have stole everyones purses and wallets and nobody would have known.

The fact they had no motive didn't make it scary to me. Now give those killers a bit of personality, and we've potentially got ourselves a damn good flick in the making. There was no point in each killer having their own unique mask if the film makers don't take advantage of it.

The "because you were home" line isn't effective at all because its one of the only things said by the killers.

As I mentioned in my spoiler,

Hidden Text:

once the gun enters in to the equation

, the film stops being believable.

Well... looking back on it now, i couldn't really tell you much about the movie, so i guess it wasn't as good as i thought.

Another problem would be that my girlfriend was sick through most of it so i missed some of it, probably missed the really bad parts. 

Thinking back on it, nothing happened in this fucking movie.  I guess i was going more off of audience reaction.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer