You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Weiland identifies with Axl - RollingStone

Sky Dog wrote:

the record stands as is. I am listening to Whipping Post right now by the Allman Brothers. It is credited to Gregg Allman only because he wrote the song and had the basic idea for it. However, the song obviously needs the guitar licks of Duane and Dickey to make it what it is.In the writing credit process, lyrics and melodies hold more weight than the instrumental. It is just a fact of the industry and is not specific to Axl Rose and Gnr. Everything just seems to be some big conspiracy that Axl stole everything from the rest of the band. It is silly and it is permeating every post in every thread these days.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

The Axl bashing has to slow down at some point.....he's a jackass, but GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE, he wrote the majority of lyrics which will always get credits.

my posts are not inteded to be bashing...i think axl is an amazing talent...hes fuckign brilliant...i just wish that the linere notes could have read :

All songs written and performed by Guns N Roses except LALD (written by paul mccartney) and KOHD (written by Bob Dylan)

and it sucks to see people give 100% credit to Axl for his parts but the rest of the guys didnt do shit...i mean c'mon here...they were a band and they all pulled their own weight....even adler (you dont know how much that just hurt me to type 16 )

Sky Dog wrote:

read my post above your last Neemo..of course great music is made in a collaborative effort. But, that has little to do with writing credits.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Locomotive and Coma are all Axl lyrics. Please, those songs are made by the great lyrics

I totally disagree with that.

The lyrics are damn good, don't get me wrong.  I don't mean this as "Axl bashing" at all, but those are two of the best instrumental tracks in the history of Gn'R in my mind.   On every level what everyone brought to the table on those two songs is brilliant.  Even the parts that are fairly simple for the most part (the bass line in Coma for example) are exactly what the song called for.

Those two songs (and I would argue those two albums) are a great example of a band clicking on all cylinders to me.

Were there arguements/disagreements about things... absolutely.  I'll tell you what though, after reading Slash's book, I would love to hear the mix of them without all the layers of synth that Slash talked about.  I dig the albums as they stand, but I'd like to see what that was all about.

Edit:I read Madagas's post a few above mine now, and see where he's coming from, but I still don't agree with it.  The best example I could give is the simple fact that Slash deserves a writing credit for Estranged.  That solo is basically a melody.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

read my post above your last Neemo..of course great music is made in a collaborative effort. But, that has little to do with writing credits.

i read it...but i dont agree with it personally, even if it is the accepted protocol...lyrics without music arent much fun to listen to...at least in my opinion 19 look at the AFD and Lies liner notes...thats when they were on the same page and they all took credit for all songs thats the way a band should be in my opinion 22

and Axl is a dick for insisting on that system of acreditation and the rest of the band are stupid for allowing it to have happened...i'm not placing the blame on any one person here they all fucked up 16

Sky Dog wrote:

Listen, I don't understand how they do it either (industry wide) and I agree that Slash should have definitely got something for Estranged. Jorge, my words on Coma and Locomotive were a bit over the top because those are obviously great great rock instrumentals-two of my all time favs. But, I love the effects and lyrics that Axl put to Coma. I truly think it was his shining moment lyrically. And, I just love it when those chicks are bitchin at him and then the last one goes "I love You." Being a Pink Floyd fan as well, I dig over the top production and effects.....sometimes!:peace:

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

But, I love the effects and lyrics that Axl put to Coma. I truly think it was his shining moment lyrically. And, I just love it when those chicks are bitchin at him and then the last one goes "I love You." Being a Pink Floyd fan as well, I dig over the top production and effects.....sometimes!:peace:

i totally agree madagas...the lyrics are brilliant in coma...buyt the song itself was Slash's baby...but the outro lyrics of the song are some of my all time favs 22 but without slash Axl wouldnt have gotten the ispiration...and with estranged and NR the same is true....they needed each other to make those masterpeices 22

Ya live your life like it's a coma
So won't you tell me why we'd wanna
With all the reasons you give it's
It's kinda hard to believe
But who am I to tell you that I've seen
any reason why you should stay
Maybe we'd be better off without you anyway

You got a one way ticket
On your last chance ride
Gotta one way ticket
To your suicide
Gotta one way ticket
An there's no way out alive
An all this crass communication
That has left you in the cold
Isn't much for consolation
When you feel so weak and old
But if home is where the heart is
Then there's stories to be told
No you don't need a doctor
No one else can heal your soul

Got your mind in submission
Got your life on the line
But nobody pulled the trigger
They just stepped aside
They be down by the water
While you watch 'em waving goodbye
They be callin' in the morning
They be hangin' on the phone
They be waiting for an answer
When you know nobody's home
And when the bell's stopped ringing
It was nobody's fault but your own
There were always ample warnings
There were always subtle signs
And you would have seen it comin'
But we gave you too much time
And when you said that no one's listening
Why'd your best friend drop a dime
Sometimes we get so tired of waiting
For a way to spend our time
An "It's so easy" to be social
"It's so easy" to be cool
Yeah it's easy to be hungry
When you ain't got shit to lose
And I wish that I could help you
With what you hope to find
But I'm still out here waiting
Watching reruns of my life
When you reach the point of breaking
Know it's gonna take some time
To heal the broken memories
That another man would need
Just to survive

just fucking awesome 9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Damn, talk about taking us on a trip down memory lane....

*searches for crack pipe, bag of red bud, and taking a stroll downtown for stoner chicks pretending like its 1991*

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
Seven wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Seven wrote:

Getting to know you....

Huh?

Reach.....for the abstract...

A reference to the lyric in the King and I perhaps?

Their separate ways have shown sides of everyone previously unknown...thats all it meant... sorry will try not to be so vague in the future... Time to go vote....Can't  help on clarification there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland_(film)

Sorry I did not realize conversations were to be dictated by what you considered relevant on this site....

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Listen, I don't understand how they do it either (industry wide) and I agree that Slash should have definitely got something for Estranged. Jorge, my words on Coma and Locomotive were a bit over the top because those are obviously great great rock instrumentals-two of my all time favs. But, I love the effects and lyrics that Axl put to Coma. I truly think it was his shining moment lyrically. And, I just love it when those chicks are bitchin at him and then the last one goes "I love You." Being a Pink Floyd fan as well, I dig over the top production and effects.....sometimes!:peace:

Naah, I was pretty sure I got where you were coming from, but I felt like it had to be said, especially with the two songs you mentioned....  just one of those things.

As far as industry wide, you're right.   I remember Newstead bitching about the same thing with some Metallica songs.  Not every band does it, but a shitload do, and I disagree with it most of the time... 

Maybe that's just because it's coming from a drummer though.  Ha.

Board footer