You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Weiland identifies with Axl - RollingStone

James wrote:
Seven wrote:

Sorry I did not realize conversations were to be dictated by what you considered relevant on this site....

Conversations aren't being "dictated" here. You've been in this community long enough to know that topics are pretty much allowed to flow in whichever direction they go, within reason of course.

You have to admit that posting nothing but "getting to know you...." in the middle of a discussion is a bit odd. Just because someone didn't get the point or joke you were trying to make doesn't mean someone's telling you what you can or cant say.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the song writing credits on UYI are obviously messed up.

It should go like this - if you're a guitarist and  come into rehersal and someone gives you a song and goes "here is your completed part - just play these notes" then you don't get a writing credit. If you're a singer  turn up and someone goes "here are the words you sing" then you don't get a writing credit. If anything else happens - if either part isn't compelte before you're there - then you helped write the damn song.

Axl SHOULD get a credit on any song he wrote ANY lyrics to. Slash SHOULD get a credit on any song where Izzy/Duff or Axl didn't write the ENTIRE song - solos and all.

Unfortunately that's clearly not what's happening here. Unless you think Axl can play the entire guitar parts and solos on songs like "Shotgun blues"....

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Seven wrote:

Sorry I did not realize conversations were to be dictated by what you considered relevant on this site....

Conversations aren't being "dictated" here. You've been in this community long enough to know that topics are pretty much allowed to flow in whichever direction they go, within reason of course.

You have to admit that posting nothing but "getting to know you...." in the middle of a discussion is a bit odd. Just because someone didn't get the point or joke you were trying to make doesn't mean someone's telling you what you can or cant say.

If you can say what your thinking in one line should you use two? Sounds very institutionalized to me to use two if the reference is fairly obvious...Sometime when you walk a mile in someones shoes you better understand the path... therefore "getting to know U" seemed sufficient a comment to me in this drama that who knows who will write the final lines too. He got the reference and chose to be condescending. Thats not really adding much to the discussion is it? He did not say what does the King and I have to do with it did he? Point taken add more lines....

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:

if you want to blame axl alone then you need to give him alone credit for a couple of albums titled USE YOUR ILLUSIONS cause they were axl's vision and it was axl's vision that slash didn't agree with and that was a big factor in the breakup which started with the recording of these albums when axl took over creative control.

Wrong.  Very, very wrong.  The illusions album were not Axl's vision.  They were a mish mosh of everybody's vision.  Axl, Izzy, Slash, and Duff all had songs on there of their choosing.  It was done in an effort to keep the peace and keep all sides as happy as possible.  Obviously it didn't work, but if you think the Illusions albums were all Axl's vision, you need to go back and listen to them again.

you are proving my point anyways
why would they need to go out of their way to create a "mish mosh" in order "to keep the peace"?
answer: cause axl was already asserting himself and his visions and slash didn't like it.

i am not saying axl is reposnsible for creating uyi's by himself. i am saying his process of being himself on these two albums and as it pertained to being in the band left a huge mark on the albums and, at the same time, helped lead to the band's demise.

I get what you're trying to say, but why do you think Slash is the only one they were trying to keep happy?  Axl was asserting himself and nobody (other than Dizzy...lol) liked it.

Seven

Seven wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think the song writing credits on UYI are obviously messed up.

It should go like this - if you're a guitarist and  come into rehersal and someone gives you a song and goes "here is your completed part - just play these notes" then you don't get a writing credit. If you're a singer  turn up and someone goes "here are the words you sing" then you don't get a writing credit. If anything else happens - if either part isn't compelte before you're there - then you helped write the damn song.

Axl SHOULD get a credit on any song he wrote ANY lyrics to. Slash SHOULD get a credit on any song where Izzy/Duff or Axl didn't write the ENTIRE song - solos and all.

Unfortunately that's clearly not what's happening here. Unless you think Axl can play the entire guitar parts and solos on songs like "Shotgun blues"....

Yes they are because of the initial publishing deal they signed they had quotas that were unattainable.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Seven wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Seven wrote:

If you can say what your thinking in one line should you use two? Sounds very institutionalized to me to use two if the reference is fairly obvious...Sometime when you walk a mile in someones shoes you better understand the path... therefore "getting to know U" seemed sufficient a comment to me in this drama that who knows who will write the final lines too. He got the reference and chose to be condescending. Thats not really adding much to the discussion is it? He did not say what does the King and I have to do with it did he? Point taken add more lines....

You're obviously too smart for the rest of us, so you'll have to lower yourself to communicating in a caveman manner (sorry Geico guys) like the rest of us or accept that we're not always going to understand your ultimate wisdom on first take.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I jumped into this thread late. People actually think UYI is "Axl's vision"?

Go check the credits. Almost half of it is "Izzy's vision".

I agree with those that say the project was mainly just everyone bringing there own thing in, and the chemistry between the band was great so they pulled it off.

There was no "vision". It was a band on the verge of peaking, and they knew it. The albums have their faults, but lots of ambition in those tracks.

not "people" just me and my comment was misunderstood and quoted out of it's context and others jumped in afterwards possibly without even reading the original post/s. i think the uyi era is when axl began asserting himself more and his vision. he didn't write the majority of the songs but, for example, began acting more like a dictator; brining in horns and tracy and roberta and implimented a lot of piano work, etc.. these were his ideas and the others did not like them and so this could be attributed to a part of axl, which was both great as it helped make the album/s bigger and yet destructive as it aided in the break up of the band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i think we have just a simple communication breakdown. When you speak of "Axl's Vision" i think some  took that to imply that he was the sole creative force on the record, and thus felt the need to speak up for the obvious and powerful creative imput of Izzy, Slash and Duff.

I think it was just the choice of words, as Axl has many fans who like to assert that in addition to being the sole owner of the GNR brand he is the sole talent in the history of the group - and those folks like to talk a lot about his vision and elevate him to some kind of messiah status. Thus you using that phrase may have made people a bit jumpy.

However perhaps what your saying is just that Axl's influence, while notable on AFD for his awesome voice and singing, is more obvious in UYI as he added in the paino and bigger production/sound effects.

Seven

Seven wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Seven wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You're obviously too smart for the rest of us, so you'll have to lower yourself to communicating in a caveman manner (sorry Geico guys) like the rest of us or accept that we're not always going to understand your ultimate wisdom on first take.

I think I can add a few lines for your benefit, thanks for your concern.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I jumped into this thread late. People actually think UYI is "Axl's vision"?

Go check the credits. Almost half of it is "Izzy's vision".

I agree with those that say the project was mainly just everyone bringing there own thing in, and the chemistry between the band was great so they pulled it off.

There was no "vision". It was a band on the verge of peaking, and they knew it. The albums have their faults, but lots of ambition in those tracks.

not "people" just me and my comment was misunderstood and quoted out of it's context and others jumped in afterwards possibly without even reading the original post/s. i think the uyi era is when axl began asserting himself more and his vision. he didn't write the majority of the songs but, for example, began acting more like a dictator; brining in horns and tracy and roberta and implimented a lot of piano work, etc.. these were his ideas and the others did not like them and so this could be attributed to a part of axl, which was both great as it helped make the album/s bigger and yet destructive as it aided in the break up of the band.

Axl wanted back ground singers...but Slash hired those 2...and the horns were Slash's idea. I dont think that this is when Axl started acting too too crazy...it wasnt til 1995-96 that axl went totally whacky...after slash came back from snake pit...axl just never showned up in the studio when the other guys were there during the uYI recording. from what i understand they were all ego maniacs and strung out, and they were all hard to work with and they all had specific ideas on what they wanted to hear. Izzy was getting clean around then too so he was having a hard time being around a bunch of junkies

Board footer