You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Weiland identifies with Axl - RollingStone

James wrote:
war wrote:

not "people" just me and my comment was misunderstood and quoted out of it's context and others jumped in afterwards possibly without even reading the original post/s.

Hey Bri, you've just stumbled upon a nice article to write for the Sun-Times.

Barack Obama posts at GNR Evolution.:haha: Strange that he uses the name war.

A signal to Iran?

Sky Dog wrote:

Here is what Marc Canter had to say just recently about the songwriting process of the original band. He may know a little more than we do. Pretty common sense stuff but it is pretty accurate.

"They were the perfect team of songwriters for that time and place and where they were in their lives. Slash knew what to do with whatever Izzy and Duff came up with and Axl knew what to do with whatever Slash came up with. It was a great team effort. The balance was perfect Slash was hard rock and blues. Duff was punk. Izzy was right in between them and Steven's drums fit well and Axl put his magic to all of it with a lot of lyrics and melodies which was so important in the way the songs came out. Axl was sort of like the producer in the way the songs got finished. "

Now, that sounds very similar to what Tommy said a few years ago about the new Gnr songwriting process. Axl is essentially still doing the same thing now as he was on the Illusions.:peace:

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl tried to take over because Izzy was gone and he knew it was a sinking ship. His best buddy left and his other two friends were complete junkies. Not a very stable environment for making a record.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Seven wrote:

Sounds very institutionalized to me to use two if the reference is fairly obvious...

Who said it was fairly obvious? I didn't know what you were talking about either.

Point taken add more lines....

Thats not the point. You don't have to "add more lines", but on the occasions you happen to post a one liner, don't be shocked if the whole world doesn't get it.

I think I can add a few lines for your benefit, thanks for your concern.

A few more words, yet sarcastic in tone.

Would that be considered progression or a regression?:haha:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

Axl tried to take over because Izzy was gone and he knew it was a sinking ship. His best buddy left and his other two friends were complete junkies. Not a very stable environment for making a record.

Axl may feel he was justified in what he did.  I'm not here to argue whether he was right or wrong.  History indicates he was wrong, but at the time it may very well have been the right decision and maybe Slash and Duff would be dead had he not made that decision.  Who knows for sure.  The point is that his taking over the band destroyed the band.  Again, whether he was justified in doing so is a different debate.

Sky Dog wrote:

heavy lies the crown...obviously Axl overestimated his ability to "lead" and make all the decisions.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

heavy lies the crown...obviously Axl overestimated his ability to "lead" and make all the decisions.

This is just my opinion:

Axl isn't a leader, he's a follower.  By definition, followers don't lead, they can't lead.  Leaders make the tough decisions when they need to be made, but also empower those that they are leading.  Axl could make the tough decisions, but instead of being confident in his decisions, he surrounded himself with people that would support whatever decision he made because he lacked the confidence to take construcive criticism.  Once he owned the b(r)and, anybody that questioned him was out: management, band members, hanger-ons, etc. 

As much as Axl hated being questioned, in retrospect, he obviously needed it.  Being challenged motivated Axl.  I don't remember where I read it, but I think he said he had a hard time writing Coma because Slash wrote this great song and he had a hell of a hard time coming up with the lyrics to match the music.  Ultimately he did and that song is regarded by most fans of the band as one of if not the greatest Guns song ever.  I don't want to start an old vs new debate, but Slash took songs written by other people and took a lot (certainly not all) of them to a new level.  I don't think Slash is a great song writer for the most part.  History bears that out (though there are a few exceptions).  What he does best is taking an existing song and putting down a killer guitar track that compliments the style of that song, but also fits his playing style.  Axl is a great songwriter, but doesn't understand the band element enough to complete a masterpiece by himself.  Axl is a genius at what he does - lyrics and song structures.  Slash is a genius at what he does - killer solos and guitar melodies.  That is the perfect storm from a rock band perspective and I believe a big reason why neither is as good without the other, but both do well enough on their own to get by.

Sky Dog wrote:

wow....can't say I disagree with one word in your post. 22

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
war wrote:

not "people" just me and my comment was misunderstood and quoted out of it's context and others jumped in afterwards possibly without even reading the original post/s.

Hey Bri, you've just stumbled upon a nice article to write for the Sun-Times.

Barack Obama posts at GNR Evolution.:haha: Strange that he uses the name war.

A signal to Iran?

just telling it like it is
but 14

Board footer