You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Weiland identifies with Axl - RollingStone

war wrote:
Neemo wrote:
war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I jumped into this thread late. People actually think UYI is "Axl's vision"?

Go check the credits. Almost half of it is "Izzy's vision".

I agree with those that say the project was mainly just everyone bringing there own thing in, and the chemistry between the band was great so they pulled it off.

There was no "vision". It was a band on the verge of peaking, and they knew it. The albums have their faults, but lots of ambition in those tracks.

not "people" just me and my comment was misunderstood and quoted out of it's context and others jumped in afterwards possibly without even reading the original post/s. i think the uyi era is when axl began asserting himself more and his vision. he didn't write the majority of the songs but, for example, began acting more like a dictator; brining in horns and tracy and roberta and implimented a lot of piano work, etc.. these were his ideas and the others did not like them and so this could be attributed to a part of axl, which was both great as it helped make the album/s bigger and yet destructive as it aided in the break up of the band.

Axl wanted back ground singers...but Slash hired those 2...and the horns were Slash's idea. I dont think that this is when Axl started acting too too crazy...it wasnt til 1995-96 that axl went totally whacky...after slash came back from snake pit...axl just never showned up in the studio when the other guys were there during the uYI recording. from what i understand they were all ego maniacs and strung out, and they were all hard to work with and they all had specific ideas on what they wanted to hear. Izzy was getting clean around then too so he was having a hard time being around a bunch of junkies

the horns are not that important - those were just a couple of examples - there are more but you get the point an i agree axl wasn't out of control quite yet but he was cleaning up, himself. izzy decided to quit the band when he couldn't take the other band members'drug use and axl dealt with it by becoming controlling.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

war

war wrote:

izzy quit after the albums were released but during the uyi tour
people are saying that is when axl took over

i beleive it started a little bit before izzy left but since izzy was a big songwriter his absence left a void in the whole writing and band chemistry and axl may have taken on most of the responsibility after that

this is why izzy leaving hurt gnr so much

Sky Dog wrote:

Izzy left in Nov 91 I believe....2 months after the release of the records.:headbang:

war

war wrote:

sounds right

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

Izzy said that, beside the Slash & Duff drug use, Axl made him leave the band cause Axl acted like a dictator. He even called Axl later a 'mini Hitler'. Axl tried to make him sign a contract to decrease Izzy's money, because as Axl said 'we were friends, but now we're doing business'. That was when Izzy deicided to leave. So Axl began to become a dictator berore the UYIs, but the albums weren't 'his vision'. Some of it... yes... but not the whole. Or not even half of it.
I think those who list the songs' writing credits are often missing important points: first, that Axl (and even Izzy tongue) are over-credited; second that Axl has a lot of credits because he was the main lyrics writer. But it doesn't make Coma, Garden of Eden etc. be 'his babies'. Axl's babies are NR (mostly), the adopted The Garden, Yesterdays, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Estranged (mostly) and My World. Izzy had plenty babies, but most of them needed the Slash incubator or suffered of the lack of Slashness. tongue  Anyway, fuck it, they were great, when you're in a band, you help out your friends with their songs, and they help you out, too. 19

BTW I agree with most of buzzsaw said.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Izzy "over credited"?

Earth to Mikkamakka?

Come in...

GNR hasn't done shit since the moment he walked out the door, so the last thing Izzy Stradlin should ever be called is "over credited".

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

like i said...they should have all been credited equally, Izzy wrote alot of the songs rhythm parts, Slash laid down killer solos, Duff provided great bass riffs, Axl had amazing lyrics and Both Matt and Steven did their part to make the songs they worked on stand out with memorial drum lines

without the sum of all parts none of the songs would be what they are hmm so why the individual credits...i'll tell you why, cuz they didnt want to give adler anything and after Adler left they didnt want any new members to the partnership

war

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

Izzy said that, beside the Slash & Duff drug use, Axl made him leave the band cause Axl acted like a dictator. He even called Axl later a 'mini Hitler'. Axl tried to make him sign a contract to decrease Izzy's money, because as Axl said 'we were friends, but now we're doing business'. That was when Izzy deicided to leave. So Axl began to become a dictator berore the UYIs, but the albums weren't 'his vision'. Some of it... yes... but not the whole. Or not even half of it.
I think those who list the songs' writing credits are often missing important points: first, that Axl (and even Izzy tongue) are over-credited; second that Axl has a lot of credits because he was the main lyrics writer. But it doesn't make Coma, Garden of Eden etc. be 'his babies'. Axl's babies are NR (mostly), the adopted The Garden, Yesterdays, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Estranged (mostly) and My World. Izzy had plenty babies, but most of them needed the Slash incubator or suffered of the lack of Slashness. tongue  Anyway, fuck it, they were great, when you're in a band, you help out your friends with their songs, and they help you out, too. 19

BTW I agree with most of buzzsaw said.

it looks like you think you are disagreeing with me but everything you've said so far is exactly the same as i feel.

other than izzy being overcredited on songwriting credits but i hadn't posted on that yet

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
Neemo wrote:

like i said...they should have all been credited equally, Izzy wrote alot of the songs rhythm parts, Slash laid down killer solos, Duff provided great bass riffs, Axl had amazing lyrics and Both Matt and Steven did their part to make the songs they worked on stand out with memorial drum lines

without the sum of all parts none of the songs would be what they are hmm so why the individual credits...i'll tell you why, cuz they didnt want to give adler anything and after Adler left they didnt want any new members to the partnership

they all played there part but  the one part of this formula that seems to get underestimated and run over regularly (deleted at HTGTH) is that Ax never recorded a note for these records that West Arkeen was not in the studio.....Now in terms of where we are in the process of the new records that should be somewhat clarifying as to exactly what ingredient is missing.

Board footer