You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

Re: Elmir presents the best of South African Rock...VOL 1....

elmir wrote:

considering its pretty quiet on the forums, I figured i might as well do the James/MIA thing, and bring your attention to some rock acts from my neighborhood...i have a feeling most of you would relate to the sound here, and because of the stupid ass position of this place, it is hard for these guys to break it onto the international scene....

first of the lot, is one of my favorites....WONDERboom....a "classic" rock act, they're best described as a South African version of the red Hot Chilli Peppers in terms of sound....very funk rock at times, but pretty serious at others....the lead guitar, mr. Martin Schofield is SA's version of a slash/bucket/robin for local rock fans because of his very good technical skill and ability to write great melodies at the same time...

it also helps that they're close mates of mine, so i always get free tickets to shows and gigs, and merchandise...which always helps...

you can check out their website at http://www.wonderboom.co.za and have a listen to some tracks...they also have a forum for those of you who really like them...and if anyone wants, i can organise some tracks to be sent to them also...

some media quotes as well:

Wonderboom is a band that needs no introduction. Their crazy colour painted all the stages of South Africa with their funky tattooed muscle flexing energy.
They've become a stalwart of SA music. You cannot say Wonderboom without sinful and sordid images of flesh bound men frolicking bare chested in front of millions of screaming fans, wearing the snake that some so commonly misrepresent as evil?

Wonderboom are a Johannesburg-based gang of funk rockers who know how to have a seriously good time. Fronted by sex-god, stage demon, Cito, they have based their eclectic appeal on a frenetic live show, oodles of cheek and some straight up and down funky grooves. Wonderboom's music is a wild combination of solid rock-based-on-funk grooves with the added curve ball of some township swing and pizzazz. Cito Otto, the band's energetic frontman, isn't scared to pull out all the stops for the sake of a good show.

The rest of the band consists of Martin on guitar and back-up vocals, Wade on bass, and Danny on drums. The back-up of these three solid players give Cito the latitude to be the wild man up front.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Is that the band you gave me a few tracks from last year? Yeah, it was pretty good stuff. Lost it on my Dell comp when it took its last shit.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

gave them a listen last night. i like their serious songs better that the funk ones. but those are also pretty nice.

i liked "great to be alive" "best side" "brain" and i looked around the videos part a bit and "smile pantsula" and "night falls..." are also very nice.

that's just a few songs i got to listen in a hurry. very nice all around 3

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Is that the band you gave me a few tracks from last year? Yeah, it was pretty good stuff. Lost it on my Dell comp when it took its last shit.

yeah, its those guys....i think you may enjoy the Vol 2 of my installment a little bit more....i'll post it soon...

Board footer