You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: finally a decent straight forward comment regarding CD

Neemo wrote:

In response to a conversation between Jarmo and Myself, Mysteron piped up and then D joined in

Mysteron wrote:

The album is finished. It's release is being sorted out.

There is no ceremonial middle ground to this process

D wrote:

The big deal is, if it is handed in and they are NEGOTIATING

what does that mean?

What is being negotiated?

If it has something to do with money, we could be in for a huge wait because after all they've spent, Id say they are gonna stand firm on certain monetary issues.

I hope all gets sorted soon and they figure out some cool innovative way to release it.

Mysteron wrote:

"Handed in" only applies to homework. It is a dead argument here. The album is either finished or it is not finished.

Why are there negotiations? I, personally, do not know. What is obvious, though, is that times have changed since the last GN'R release. Universal will be looking to make a profit, as will Axl. The internet now is far more promiscous than during the mid-90's. I am sure lots of you here are downloading mf's, and that in itself makes life more difficult for artists and for record companies to make money in this day and age.     

I concur, though, with your last sentence.

Sky Dog wrote:

In other words, they have not turned the record over to the label. Common sense tells you that. If they are negotiating, then they are not gonna give them the album until the deal is completely done. A few articles simply took it upon themselves to say the record was turned in-no credible sources for that. Beta said the album was done, NOT handed in. You don't give them the only bargaining chip you have.:laugh:

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

madagas wrote:

In other words, they have not turned the record over to the label. Common sense tells you that. If they are negotiating, then they are not gonna give them the album until the deal is completely done. A few articles simply took it upon themselves to say the record was turned in-no credible sources for that. Beta said the album was done, NOT handed in. You don't give them the only bargaining chip you have.:laugh:

Merck said the label wouldn't even talk to GNR until the album was handed in. That would leave us with a stalemate of infinate proportions. The label not willing to talk until it's handed in and GNR not willing to hand it over until the label is willing to talk.

If GNR hand in the album the label can't just run off and release it, cackling as Axl chases after them. I dare say these negotiations were necessary no matter who has the album physically in their posession.

It's been handed in, it's been said from multiple sources and I believe it. Doesn't mean we're closer to a release but I'm confident the label has the album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The album was 90% finished in 1999. It was finished in 2001. Then, it was finished again in 2002. We had rumors in 04 it was finished. In 2005, Merck proclaimed it "the year of GNR". In 2006, Axl eluded to the album's release several times.

I'm sorry, but in 2008 its gonna take more than Mysteron saying "its finished" to make me even consider the slightest possibility of the album's release.

The only statement regarding the progress and/or release to be believed is through Universal, and they've never said a word through the entire saga.

Its in limbo just like its always been.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i was just referring to the part where he said the album was finsihed...where he said they were still negotiating and where he said it was probably about money

we all suspected it but i dont think anyone ever actually came out and said it before... 22

but yeah APE the wait has been long and it may be even longer still..."the ball is in the Record Company's court"...translation..."when you are willing to talk i'm done recording"

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

Beta said the album was done, NOT handed in. You don't give them the only bargaining chip you have.:laugh:

right i misquted the magazine...anyway i agree with this comment...if the label has the album then what is there to negotiate about 22

Sky Dog wrote:

James, like I have said before...handed in, finished, whatever...it is meaningless to the fans unless there is a set release date agreed upon by the band and the label.

Neemo, responding to your comments at HTGTH, nobody has the upper hand in these negotiations. Axl does owe them an album but he physically has all the recordings! What if he got really pissed and just leaked the entire album himself? He has what they want....not the other way around. 16

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

James, like I have said before...handed in, finished, whatever...it is meaningless to the fans unless there is a set release date agreed upon by the band and the label.

Neemo, responding to your comments at HTGTH, nobody has the upper hand in these negotiations. Axl does owe them an album but he physically has all the recordings! What if he got really pissed and just leaked the entire album himself? He has what they want....not the other way around. 16

he cant make money if the album refuses to release it...and he cant officially release another Album unless Geffen says so....they got him by the balls too...proilly more so, Universal has alot more bands under its wing than just GnR.

put this into perspective...my father was the CEO of a company, and when he moved to where the job was they helped him muy a house....he was let go and he took them to court for wrongful dismissal, and moved to another state to look for another job....and he was carrying 2 mortgages and when they finally got an offer on their house the company refused to accept the sale of the house...it eventually bankrupted him...smae with universal here ...they have the upper hand in any future earnings he may want to make on any material he has written since 1991

Sky Dog wrote:

I think it is way more complicated than that....I don't know all the ins and outs but the label is at risk when they advance money. If no official product is finished, then they eat all the advances given. They also bailed on the project in 2004 so the completed album was done on Axl's dime. That muddies the water considerably. And, I would like to see Universal's list of artists with 90 million records sold worldwide with only 4 albums of original material...pretty short one I imagine. They still have to deal with Axl on the back catalog so it is in their best interest to placate him some. It is a huge clusterfuck. However, it is good news to have the band say things appear to be going well. 22 I honestly don't think that was smoke up our ass because Mysteron said that before the Robin thing. I also honestly believe they have a finished album that they want to release. Azoff wouldn't have signed on for nothing. No bullshit this time.:P

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

I think it is way more complicated than that....

no doubt it is...but in my opinion they have axl's future career in their hands...they could force axl to retire basically...if they wanted to, not that they do...i'm just saying

but i agree with you...it appears that Axl is finally ready to move forward with the new band (whoever may be in it 16 ) heres to hoping we hear something from the label shortly

Board footer