You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: KICKASS preview of Bach's album

found on htgth

Exclusive Sneak Preview - Sebastian Bach: Angel Down

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=3199

by Paul Cashmere - October 21 2007

There has been a lot of anticipation for Sebastian Bach's 'Angel Down'. Skid Row's last album was 'Subhuman Race' from 1995. Bach's last solo album was 'Bach 2: Basics' in 2001.

I can tell you that without a doubt, the wait will be worthwhile. 'Angel Down' is the metal album of the year, if not the 21st Century so far.

This has been my high rotation record for the weekend.

What makes the record even more newsworthy is the appearance of Axl Rose on three of the tracks. When you hear them, you will wonder, like the rest of the world, why Guns 'n' Roses 'Chinese Democracy' has still not been released.

Axl is switched on big time on 'Angel Down'. If he is this hot on Bach's album, I cannot wait to hear 'Chinese Democracy'. The release of 'Angel Down' might just be what Axl needs to get the confidence to release his long-awaited album. This is the album you want 'Chinese Democracy' to be. (Incidentally, Bach recorded backing vocals on one of the tracks from 'Chinese Democracy').

'Angel Down' features bach's touring band, "Metal" Mike Chlasciak and Johnny Chromatic on guitar, Bobby Jarzombek on drums and Rob DeLuca on bass.

The album kicks ass right from the first track 'Angel Down'.

Here are a few first impressions of the tracks from the album:

'Angel Down' is a more than an opening track. It is a statement. Bach has been away from recording for half a decade. The opener will kick your teeth in with the message "bach is back".

'You Don't Understand' sounds like it will be a great live song. Going through the album from start to finish, Bach could pull songs off this record out of a hat for his set-list. This one is a hook-driven rocker. It's a lesson for the newbie rockers - a little melody will go a long way to long-term acceptability.

'Back In The Saddle' is the first of three songs (in a row) with Axl Rose. What a corker of a cover. This is the old Aerosmith song. Aerosmith meets Guns 'n' Roses meets Skid Row - metal heaven. Bach only sings the first new lines on this one. The lead vocal is Axl.

'(Love Is) A Bitchslap' is the one they chose as the single. Co-written with producer Roy Z., it is another rocker with a hook. "I'm just having a goodtime" Bach and Rose sing on this one. That just about sums up the entire album.

'Stuck Inside' is again with Axl. We are getting to the heart of this album and this is one hell of a beating heart. In fact, the four-play of 'Stuck Inside', 'American Metalhead', 'Negative Light' and 'Live & Die' are the heaviest tracks on the album. 'American Metalhead' slaps those winey little punk wannabes across the face. 'Negative Light' gets dark and moody but builds to rival Metallica. 'Live & Die' doesn't waste a second. It burns from the first note.

So, after the guitar angst driven midsection, Bach quietens the moment (for a moment). 'By Your Side', co-written with Roy-Z, is one of two power-ballads that grace the album. Bach can pull off the ballad convincingly without it coming across as girly. 'By Your Side', and later in the record 'Falling Into You', give the album depth.

Don't expect our pal Mr Bach has gone too soft on us. 'Our Love Is A Lie' will get you out of that romantic diversion with another punch in the face rocker.

'Take You Down With Me' has an air of classic metal to it. It could be a great Black Sabbath song. Even that vocal, is Sebastian channelling Ozzy?

'Stabbin' Daggers' continues the disorder. 'We are 12 tracks into 'Angel Down' here and every song so far has been a killer.

'You Bring Me Down' again borrows from the sounds of the 70s. Sebastian Bach knows where to base his influences and isn't afraid to drawn from them. Like the great rock acts, he is capable of borrowing from the past and updating with his own sound.

'Falling Into You' is an interesting one to end with. This one was written by Desmond Child and Bach is obviously going for the feel that Child created for Aerosmith on 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. The track is the odd one out in the context of the record, but stand it aside as a single or throw it on a Bruce Willis movie and we are talking number one hit here.

Sebastian Bach's 'Angel Down' will be released on November 20 through EMI on Merovingian Music.

wow i'm starting to get pretty excited for this cool

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. Thats an incredible review. Thats a bold statement claiming its the metal record of the decade. Since its being reviewed it will leak within days, maybe a week.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

My anticipation for this just rose big time. Back In The Saddle sounds great, Axl on lead vocals too. Hopefully the reviewers right and Axl will take confidence from this and get CD out.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

That really is a shining review!   I hate to say that first and fore most I want to hear the songs with Axl, I don't mean any disrepect to Baz but I really want to hear Axl on some finished, mixed, released studio tracks.   9

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

OMG...and i thought i was already chomping at the bit to hear this stuff...now its going to be pure pain to wait....Axl on lead vocals...oh yeah....

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

There's no chance that this album lives up to this review.  None.  There's no chance that an 80s singer that couldn't write lyrics comes back and has some fantastic album 20 years later.  Axl on there is a publicity stunt and should tell you everything you need to know about the quality of the material.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

Axl on lead vocals?!

BRING - IT - ON!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There's no chance that this album lives up to this review.  None.  There's no chance that an 80s singer that couldn't write lyrics comes back and has some fantastic album 20 years later.  Axl on there is a publicity stunt and should tell you everything you need to know about the quality of the material.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well I agree to an extent I highly doubt this album will be widely recognised as the best metal album of the century. I think the reviewer got carried away there but there's no reason it can't be solid or even great album just cos he's an 80's singer.

Board footer