You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Re: GNR LP reissues coming soon?

Dreamline wrote:

I'm usually a sound quality snob, but to be honest albums are just too much of a pain in the ass for me.  Worrying about scratches, having to flip sides, etc is too much work.  With lossless digital formats like FLAC these days and hard drives becoming cheaper and smaller to the point where you can have a whole collection of music on a portable device, even CDs are getting to be inconvenient.

Would be cool to have some albums for display/collection purposes though.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

I must be the only person in the world that actually fucking loathes vinyl. I just don't see the point.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I guess you gotta be "old school" to get the appeal.

You'll see if the new school revolts back to the old.....

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I guess you gotta be "old school" to get the appeal.

You'll see if the new school revolts back to the old.....

I was born in '85 - grew up with tapes and quickly graduated to CDs. I can barely work a turntable, and with my OCD, I'd be too worried about scratching a record in the first place.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

LPs, if properly maintained and on a good system sound better and more real than CDs.  Digital media has drowned the music industry... I need a new record player.  Then I need to get my LPs shipped out here.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Another article with graphs depicting the rise so vinyl:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature … zz&mag=esq

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I have vinyl records and a player. Prob one of the few people in their early 20's too have them. Well at least around me and from people that I know.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Same with BETA. Think it died when the public latched on to VHS? Not a chance. BETA was standard format in the industry while the public ate up the worse quality format.

OT: Beta is still one of the main-stay formats. Of course, nowadays people are more inclined towards the DigiBeta, which is the improved big-brother. Beta/DigiBeta remain among the most useful storage/master copy formats as unlike DVD, they do not compress the image.

The public always gets the shorter shrift, because the first-gen copy needs to be as good as possible, but it's always painfully expensive to replicate for mass consumption as is. Now that HDV gear is hitting the consumers, the next best thing in the same field is already around the corner and making rounds in productions.

I liken vinyl to 8mm film stock, when it comes to the consumers. There's an undeniable 'feel', that can never be wholly complimented by any amount of digital preprocessing, this sort of strangely human element. It's almost a flawed, distorted representation of the content, adding a distinct fingerprint to it.

Like a broken mirror, the faulty image of reality is oftentimes better than anything that crystallizes the real thing.

Board footer