You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: GNR LP reissues coming soon?

James wrote:

Although analysts and nay-sayers have predicted its demise for the last half-century, the good old vinyl album simply refuses to roll over and die as hi-fi purists, DJ's, young hipsters and simply those with a keen sense of history continue to argue its corner as the most emotionally charged and sonically-rich means of hearing your favourite tracks.

As methods of music carriage grow ever tinier and conceptual - the romance of the album becomes more compelling with the passage of time. The rituals and reminiscences attached'¦ the artwork'¦ the inner sleeve'¦ the sheer size of the package - all take on potency as time passes. The limitations of the format meant that every masterwork had to come in around the 40 minute mark. Because there was no self-programming - the only running order you knew was the one that was painstakingly concocted in the studio. That's why it's impossible to hear '˜Visions' from Steve Wonder's Innervision without waiting to hear '˜Living In The City' about to start. Or getting ready for '˜Blue Condition' to end on Disraeli Gears by Cream so you could hear '˜Brave Ulysses'. If you wanted to skip a track - you had to get up off your backside to move the needle on. And that of course was all part of the love affair. And now, according to Billboard - there is a growing generation who are eschewing CD altogether and plumping instead for a vinyl version and a download instead. s

To celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the long-playing record, Universal Music Group is proud to announce the release of 80 titles (in four batches) on much loved 30cm black vinyl across 2008; starting with the first batch of 20 titles in July 2008. All will be exact replicas of the original packages. Classics of the past sixty-years will be available again!

No mere history exercise for dewy-eyed oldies - each album contains a voucher enabling the purchaser to download MP3 versions of the songs within!

The releases begin July 19th 2008 - it's time to embrace the past - as we march into the future!

Titles in the first batch include classics from Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Kiss, Marvin Gaye, Cream and ABBA - alongside more contemporary offerings from artists such as Eminem and Amy Winehouse.

Future releases are rumoured to include Guns n' Roses, Nirvana, Stevie Wonder, Bon Jovi, John Coltrane, The Who, Sonic Youth and many many more.

James

James wrote:

Was actually gonna start a thread in the Black Hole section about the sudden resurrection of vinyl, but the leaks sidetracked it.

What I hate about this is it lessens the value of LPs. The market is gonna get flooded.

Its gonna come back though. As soon as the college kids start playing LPs in their dorms, its gonna be the trendy thing. Record companies have to be salivating over this.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Crazy.  I saw a 15,000 record player the other day.  They make one too that is over $100,000.  They are perfectly balanced and almost have a floating wheel.  Even if your record is warped it can play it as if it isn't.  This post has no relevance.  Sorry.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I will buy whatever GNR records they release.  9

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Crazy.  I saw a 15,000 record player the other day.  They make one too that is over $100,000.  They are perfectly balanced and almost have a floating wheel.  Even if your record is warped it can play it as if it isn't.  This post has no relevance.  Sorry.

Sure it does. Vinyl is making a comeback, and what makes it hilarious is its happening in this digital age. I'm not knocking vinyl. It definitely gives the music a unique sound that cant be replicated on any other format. Its why vinyl never completely died.

Same with BETA. Think it died when the public latched on to VHS? Not a chance. BETA was standard format in the industry while the public ate up the worse quality format.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I just bought the new Priest album on vinyl. It was a triple LP set and it couldn't be more badass. Most of my old school metal collection I've painstakingly collected on vinyl. I just love the rich, immediacy of the sound and being able to hold that big piece of artwork while I listen. It's something CDs were too cold to replicate and something the digital age is about to see lost forever. I'm looking forward to these releases and this newfound interest in vinyl.

James

James wrote:

Yeah, I bought both MIA albums on vinyl. Kala was my last vinyl purchase actually.

Last year got a sealed copy of Elastica's debut LP.

Will be interesting to see how this develops. It could go either way actually. If it gets huge, you could literally see a massive backlash against Itunes, mp3 format,etc. Will be funny as hell when all the teens are trading in their Ipods for record players.

By the way, if you've never heard the Kiss Unmasked LP, you've never properly heard Kiss.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Unmasked is one of my favorite KISS albums and I'm glad to hear someone else support it. Funny you should say so, most of my vinyl for the longest time was KISS. I love them.

And I love Dynasty. That's right. I said it. "Magic Touch." 'Nuff said.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Packging was the thing where you got ripped off the most when CD's took over.  I agree there is something nice about the massive artwork and innersleeve that comes with LP's.  Plus that "warmth" that you get with the sound, as James said is impossible to replicate.

I love my vinyl collection, bring this trend on I say.

James

James wrote:
von wrote:

Unmasked is one of my favorite KISS albums and I'm glad to hear someone else support it. Funny you should say so, most of my vinyl for the longest time was KISS. I love them.

And I love Dynasty. That's right. I said it. "Magic Touch." 'Nuff said.

I think I was the only six year old kid that had every Kiss album up until that point(1981). Seriously. My dad used to buy me those records.

I also remember having that Kenny Loggins single from Caddyshack. I'd listen to that and then listen to Naked City from Unmasked. Then throw on that huge Bee Gees record. Then some Doobies.

Good times, I must say so.

Board footer