You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Are we at comparison time yet? BEST of VR vs. BEST of New GNR Lineup

Gunslinger wrote:

Every song by New GNR destroys any song by VR outside of Slither.  Just an opinion but a dead honest one.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Now THAT is the way this song should be in the studio.  The quotes should be lower like that, with Bh's solo going at the same time.

That video really makes me miss the 01 lineup.  sad

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Nothing this band does will ever top that.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I was watching the Rio vids just now, and my god Bh was essential to this band being taken seriously in comparisons to the old band.

Not only does Bbf completley fuck up every Bh solo on the new songs, he also destroys Slash's work as well.  (need proof, look up Bbf playing the November Rain solo).  Bh however tears up every song he plays.  His Nightrain solo, Maddy, November Rain, Rhiad, hell even Silkworms.  I would love to hear a studio of Silkworms.

Bh needs to come back for this band to be taken seriously in comparison to the old.  Bbf just doesn't cut it.  He doesn't hold Slash or Bh's jockstrap, that's for damn sure!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Axl has aged a lot since this performance, yet, this is considered a newer performance.  We have been waiting that long...

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I was watching the Rio vids just now, and my god Bh was essential to this band being taken seriously in comparisons to the old band.

Not only does Bbf completley fuck up every Bh solo on the new songs, he also destroys Slash's work as well.  (need proof, look up Bbf playing the November Rain solo).  Bh however tears up every song he plays.  His Nightrain solo, Maddy, November Rain, Rhiad, hell even Silkworms.  I would love to hear a studio of Silkworms.

Bh needs to come back for this band to be taken seriously in comparison to the old.  Bbf just doesn't cut it.  He doesn't hold Slash or Bh's jockstrap, that's for damn sure!

Actually, BBF plays Slash's NR solo pretty much note for note.  Finck is the one who fucks that up. He plays a mean Nightrain too.

Anyway after watching that vid I remember being blown away by it a while ago and now it just doesn't have the same impact.

Sky Dog wrote:

My point didn't have anything to do with BBF....it was about how a song can get castrated in the studio. It happens to a lot of artists. hmm

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think both bands have great moments and weak songs, too. I don't wanna restart the 'Axl N' Slash needs each other' argument, but as I see it, both bands have most of the strength of the iconic figure, but both lacks seriously the element the other icon could bring. But Axl has (had...) a better replacement (BH) for Slash than Slash had for Axl. Snakepit is another case, though (Dover rules and Jacksn can sing everything).
I enjoy both VR and NuGN'R sometimes, although Axl's bad moves (80s synths, cheesy lyrics, bad song construcions, lack of a good starting idea) make more... I don't know... angry? dissatisfied?... but I have problems with Slash's raw and poweful, yet too repetitive and single song-writing style. I'm speaking about VR, musically Snakepit was really great. Anyway, I couldn't say I'm a fan of any band... not the way I used to be a Guns N' Roses fan.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Are we at comparison time yet?

No.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think both bands have great moments and weak songs, too. I don't wanna restart the 'Axl N' Slash needs each other' argument, but as I see it, both bands have most of the strength of the iconic figure, but both lacks seriously the element the other icon could bring. But Axl has (had...) a better replacement (BH) for Slash than Slash had for Axl. Snakepit is another case, though (Dover rules and Jacksn can sing everything).
I enjoy both VR and NuGN'R sometimes, although Axl's bad moves (80s synths, cheesy lyrics, bad song construcions, lack of a good starting idea) make more... I don't know... angry? dissatisfied?... but I have problems with Slash's raw and poweful, yet too repetitive and single song-writing style. I'm speaking about VR, musically Snakepit was really great. Anyway, I couldn't say I'm a fan of any band... not the way I used to be a Guns N' Roses fan.

I agree...

GNR tops
Snakepit both versions 2nd
VR and New GNR 3rd.

Board footer