You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Who's your dream replacement for Robin?

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Just for the record, it wasn't marketable with Robin either.  He's not a difference maker...well, not in a good way at least.  He's where he belongs...

He was marketable in the sense he had a LONG tenure in the band and was there for the duration of Chinese Democracy. Could have gave some killer interviews during the promotion.

Whats the new guitarist gonna say? He's just there for touring. What's Bumble and Frank gonna say? Two guys got tired of waiting so Axl removed them from a few tracks and let us be on it?How about Fortus? Claimed he was doing lead and rhythm on the album since 2002, yet six years later still hasn't been heard and not likely to be on many tracks.

How can a 2008 touring lineup promote the record? The history of the album dates back too far.

James

James wrote:

I just now realized I'm having the same conversation in two threads.

Yay....

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:
DCK wrote:

Buckethead would be obvious..

Problem being, you're trying to hire a new guitar player for the guitarlead slot before the album is even out. It means playing the riffs and the songs of the former guy who used to play the riffs and songs of the former guy before that. It's hilarious.

GNR got a major problem on their hands regarding this. People compare it to Izzy in 91 or what the fuck but this is not the same. GNR are trying to launch an album as a band (whatever that might mean) and the guitar player for 10 years isn't there anymore. So you potentially have to get a new guy to play Robin's parts and you already got Bfoot playing Buckethead's parts. Im sure a lot of people would jump at the idea of copying Robin and Slash's stuff, but if I wasa guitar player driven on at least some idealism, I would think twice about it.

That is not problem, guitar players do that in NIN all the time

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

GNR is nothing more than a business

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

John 5 would be a good fit if Bucket  doesn't come back and Fortus isn't promoted to lead.

Ideally though, Fortus would get promoted to lead, and Paul Tobias would come back to keep some semblance of the original CD-era lineup.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

tobias would be a disaster

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:
Slashisvr wrote:

Not if he was just brought in to do rhythm and the occasional lead work (like the slide solo on Rocket Queen) - I never saw the problem with him in 2001. He's not the BEST player in the world, but he has history with the band,  and is probably all over the album regardless (playing wise and song writing wise.)

James

James wrote:
Slashisvr wrote:

I disagree. He's not a disaster on any of the leaks, so I don't see why he would be a disaster on 2008 shows. Hell, he was a member of the 2001 lineup which will always be the high point for the CD era.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Why not go back to the beginning and get Tracii Guns. He's not bad; no worse than Robin. Plus, he's an asshole. Should get along well with Axl. I actually like Tracii's playing a lot.

Board footer