You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Earth Shattering and Mind Blowing-pet peeve

Sky Dog wrote:

Slight Rant, I am quite sick and tired of hearing people use these phrases to somehow judge the album. "It's a good album but it is not "mindblowing". The entire band did NOT describe the songs like this and Axl has NEVER said anything to this effect. Tommy said these quotes in 2004. My problem is that all of this is subjective, including his opinion. To him, a guy who came from a very minimalist punk, singer songwriter band, songs with 32 piece orchestras, 2 keyboard players, three guitar players and Axl may be "mindblowing". Seriously, there is a lot of shit going on in these songs. It is not meat and potato rock and roll. It actually is pretty complex on some songs. You have to mix up to 10 different things. This is not three chord generic rock....especially Track 2 and If The World. Now you can say it is too busy, but to me it is not.....outside of Maddy, not at all. I love how If The World and Track 2 have space and atmosphere to the songs. Every second does not have to be covered by Slither type generic rock riffs. Let the song breath ......let's listen to other instruments.

David Fricke, one of the most respected critics in rock and roll has a pretty nice outlook on these tracks and I, myself could not have said it better....

"Three big, dark, snarling new songs from the longest-awaited album ever."

"'Chinese Democracy is nearly here - based on these nine tracks, reportedly in final mastered form - and its deeply weird, in epic-reach and fuck-your-expectation ways that make me want to hear the whole thing pronto, in something better than this pinched-digital fidelity.  Of the new songs, "Rhiad and the Bedouins" is the closest to the snarling-guitar rumpus of Appetite for Destruction.  "If the World" and a third, untitled number are - like the previously leaked "There Was a Time" - midtempo, big production orgies, the former with a dusky Seventies-R&B flair, the latter cresting in an hammering chorus with singer Axl Rose at the peak of his shriek.  The effect is bleak and brawling, like Elton John's Madman Across the Water reset in a ravaged hard-rock Hollywood."    - David Fricke

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

I agree and I got the new cold play album which is getting great reviews, let me tell you, untitled and if the world are better than anything on that album and I am a huge cold play fan but the new cold play album isnt that great and those two leaks could easily fit on that album since they are in the same vein as the CP album and the CP album gets great reviews. If those two songs were by cold play more critics would love them

Sky Dog wrote:

"The effect is bleak and brawling, like Elton John's Madman Across the Water reset in a ravaged hard-rock Hollywood."    -

who did the strings for Madman Across The Water? You guessed it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_Across_the_Water

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Slight Rant, I am quite sick and tired of hearing people use these phrases

Couldn't this just as easily been a private message sent to me since thats obviously who its directed at?:haha:

I'll judge the songs how I want to judge them. Yes, band members did make those remarks periodically over all these years. You know that even if you want to downplay it. Tommy, Dizzy, Fortus, Brain, and BBF consistently said such things, and Axl hangers on like Baz, Merck,etc. also said those things.

THEY put it to this test. Not me. If you as an artist want to proclaim your work "earth shattering" year after year after year, you damn well better expect for it to be judged to the standard that it was set.

No one is saying these are dull VR songs, so not sure where you're going with that. Yeah, there's alot of stuff going on in these songs. That doesn't mean I(we) cant judge the material based on what this band has said for years.

You do make a good point about it being all opinion, and how music is subjective. However, these aren't normal opinions. Its people who were in close proximity to the making of this album, and if they consistently say the same thing, it will be looked at differently than a random forum member saying its mind blowing.

JPowell
 Rep: 5 

JPowell wrote:

Where are you guys getting the title, "If The World"?  I thought it was "If The War (End Today)."

Every time I listen to the song, I don't hear him sing "World"...I hear him sing "If the war would end today...our love slip away"  Not "war" as in any actual war, but "war" in a personal sense, between the singer and another individual.

J

James

James wrote:
JPowell wrote:

Where are you guys getting the title, "If The World"?  I thought it was "If The War (End Today)."

Every time I listen to the song, I don't hear him sing "World"...I hear him sing "If the war would end today...our love slip away"  Not "war" as in any actual war, but "war" in a personal sense, between the singer and another individual.

J

You did an awesome job on the mastering, but yeah you mislabeled the track. On GNR's 2007 tour, a setlist pic leaked and If The World, Riyadh, and Prostitute were on that list.

Welcome to the forum 5 Glad you stopped by.

JPowell

JPowell wrote:

What do I have Prostitute labeled as?

Riyadh...cool...will fix the spelling on my iPod track.

Thanks, boss.

J

James

James wrote:

The actual song title of Track 2 is unknown, although the version I have of your masters it says Message for You. Thats never been a rumored song title, although anything is possible.

World War III is waging in that Track 2 thread about what the title really is.

Some say Prostitute, some say its not.

JPowell

JPowell wrote:

Yeah...someone told me that Message For You is about Slash...I dunno, I don't care either...it's a really good song.  Wonder why GNR keeps spelling Riyadh as Rhiad.

J

James

James wrote:
JPowell wrote:

Wonder why GNR keeps spelling Riyadh as Rhiad.

J

16 Yeah, I've complained about that very thing since the track was first played. There's no such thing as Rhiad(that I know of). I would imagine its some assistant of Axl's who came in last place in a spelling bee.

On that same setlist, there was a typo of Prostitute and it was written as "Prostitue".

Board footer