You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Earth Shattering and Mind Blowing-pet peeve

Sky Dog wrote:

James, the topic was directed at multiple forum members. No big deal. And, I was just using VR as a symbol of old school, generic knuckle dragging rock and roll.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

James, the topic was directed at multiple forum members. No big deal. And, I was just using VR as a symbol of old school, generic knuckle dragging rock and roll.

I meant that more as a joke. Question though:

Why do you feel the material shouldn't be judged by how it was marketed towards the fanbase over the past 11 years?

As far as VR goes, like you I'm not interested.:butt:

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Seriously, there is a lot of shit going on in these songs. It is not meat and potato rock and roll. It actually is pretty complex on some songs. You have to mix up to 10 different things. This is not three chord generic rock....especially Track 2 and If The World. Now you can say it is too busy, but to me it is not.....outside of Maddy, not at all. I love how If The World and Track 2 have space and atmosphere to the songs.

Yes its a bit "complex", but are we really hearing Dark Side of the Moon or Physical Graffiti mixed by Trent Reznor?

My answer would be no.

Some of the music is really interesting, and in the case of Riyadh, one of the most solid tracks musically in the GNR discography. The band is on fire. However, I can go buy that Praxis album from 16 years ago and get the same effect.

Thats just one example.

I can deal with the direction this record was going, its just a bit surprising it took this detour. The fact it took this detour that early in the sessions while they were pumping it up as something else is disappointing.

One other thing this material has going against it is the short shelf life it has. Time has not been kind to this material, and not one track from it has been released.

I said this many years ago at HTGTH, but I'll say it again:

Chinese Democracy is going to be the band's Hysteria, except the album sales wont be through the roof and it wont be full of hits.

Sky Dog wrote:

For example, I now feel that If The World is pretty "mindblowing" for a Gnr track. I mean, 70's funk with flamenco guitar, chunky metal industrial riffs, a fabulous solo and Axl. Pretty great stuff to me. The Bucket solo at the end of TWAT, to me, is "earth shattering". The sheer diversity of the tracks is "mindblowing" and we have heard probably only a third of the overall music. I don't care if the record sells and don't care if it has any hits. I just want a great album and I now think we are going to get it.

Sure, everything in these songs has been done at one point or another in the history of rock and roll. But, when taken all together, there is no popular hard rock band out there who has this kind of diversity and talent. You use Def Leppard as an example. They couldn't dream of writing a track like If The World or Track 2 or Better or Chinese Democracy. To impress David Fricke like that is a good sign....the guy is a true rock historian.

"and its deeply weird, in epic-reach and fuck-your-expectation ways that make me want to hear the whole thing pronto, "

The other issue is that we have simply listened to the songs so much, we are just sick of them! We have wore them out whereas a normal rock fan hasn't paid attention at all. They will just wait till the album comes out. They will be listening with fresh ears and no preconceived ideas as to what the album should or shouldn't be.:rock::buckethead:

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

For example, I now feel that If The World is pretty mindblowing for a Gnr track. I mean, 70's funk with flamenco guitar, chunky metal industrial riffs, a fabulous solo and Axl. Pretty great stuff to me. The Bucket solo at the end of TWAT, to me, is earth shattering. The sheer diversity of the tracks is mindblowing and we have heard probably only a third of the overall music. I don't care if the record sells and don't care if it has any hits. I just want a great album and I now think we are going to get it.

Sure, everything in these songs has been done at one point or another in the history of rock and roll. But, when taking all together, there is no popular hard rock band out there who has this kind of diversity and talent. You use Def Leppard as an example. They couldn't dream of writing a track like If The World or Track 2 or Better or Chinese Democracy. To impress David Fricke like that is a good sign....the guy is a true rock historian.

I wasn't comparing this material to Def Leppard. I'm not insane. I meant it in the context of how it dates quickly and starts gathering dust in your closet and also the glossy sound, and we haven't even heard it finished.

I agree that there are flashes of brilliance in these tracks, most of them courtesy of Bucket but I give all band members kudos for what they've done. I love the new leaks because the mix allows us to finally hear Tommy, and I was impressed. You also hear other things in the songs. Love that cool sound Bucket does at the end of the IRS solo at the 4 minute mark. While some of the lyrics a bit subpar, he is definitely still at the top of his game in that department.

Yeah, that TWAT outro is outstanding, and will be a travesty if it doesn't close the album.

I dont care if the album sells millions either. I just want to hear the damn thing.

Sky Dog wrote:

we'll get it piece by piece if necessary....:haha:  I bet he tries to get Bucket back. He would be a fool not to.....Brain would come back to.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think the "complex" nature of the songs is a result of the weakness of the material itself and not because the songs are so good that they wrote themselves that way.

Sky Dog wrote:

14 I knew you would chime in at some point. It's all good. To each his own. Needless to say, I completely disagree.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
madagas wrote:

14 I knew you would chime in at some point. It's all good. To each his own. Needless to say, I completely disagree.

no kidding 10
and i agree with you madagas

JPowell
 Rep: 5 

JPowell wrote:

I really don't get the people out there posting about how bad this material is.

1. If it ain't your cup o' tea, go drink your own cup, no reason to piss in everyone else's.
2. By even the second listen of the entire nine songs, it is clear that the material is solid. The writing is fantastic and the performances are completely first rate.

Gimme a break...we got morons running around screamin' about how Axl's lost his high range. Anyone who thinks the recorded vocals on these nine songs point to any loss of vocal ability on Axl's part isn't listening with their ears.

Be bitter about the years lost all you want...there are some of us who are happy to hear this new material and remain hopeful that it may just be properly released someday.

J

Board footer