You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Bucket found a collaborator in the CD sessions?

sic. wrote:

Something just dawned to me while listening to Bucket's exquisite Enter the Chicken. All the songs are credited to (at least) Bucket and the engineer, mixer and co-producer Dan Monti. That made me jog my memory.

egwsg0.jpg

From Village Recording Studios, taken in the happy days of Universal Music Group -funded recording sessions, 2003-4. As Mysteron stated, there's CD Pro-Tools man Eric Caudieux in the far left and main engineer Caram Constanzo on the far right. Right next to Axl is Dan Monti.

Mysteron identified Monti as a Village employee. However, check out his more recent track record:

Bucketheadland 2
Island of Lost Minds
The Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell
Enter The Chicken
Kaleidoscalp
Inbred Mountain
The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock
Crime Slunk Scene
Pepper's Ghost
Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot

He's been producing, mixing, engineering, programming and writing for Bucket since 2003, and he's still doing it. He's also played bass for Bucket in a live setting, with Brain in the drums. It's certainly intriguing to think that Monti met Brain and Bucket at the Village while they were still recording with GNR, and, in A Perfect Circle -twist of events, ended up ducking out of the project in one quick swoop, along with Axl's main man. Dan Monti is, in that sense, no different from Billy Howerdel, who spent his last days as a guitar tech with Axl, before jumping ship with Josh Freese.

The co-writer of Nottingham Lace is right there next to Axl, all smiles. In case you're wandering why Axl doesn't seem that happy, you probably need to check out one or more of the albums listed above. The mind boggles even more when considering the overall talent factor that has passed through the project over the years.

But Monti seemed to be a good fit for Bucket, which is all the more reason to get excited about the fact that Axl promised to share his Dr Pepper and that Shackler's Revenge, a bona fide Bucket track, is still in the cards to be a big one for GNR.

bucket

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

VERY interesting. Nice find. I remember that pic from a few years back.

Its so fucking bizarre how the people associated with Chinese Democracy created all these spin off projects.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its so fucking bizarre how the people associated with Chinese Democracy created all these spin off projects.

Really? All of that time to kill and expensive gear at their helm without any sight of the leader must have given birth to a plethora of projects, ideas and connections

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Yeah, this is old news to hard-core Bucketers, but the best thing that ever happened to him was meeting Dan Monti. Some of Bucket's best work has been done with him.

I've seen them live together twice, and lemme tell ya, Monti is a kickass bassist.

Here's a cool video of them doing Michael Jackson's "Human Nature." Monti sings.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You know, if he could have just bypassed 2002 tour, concentrated on the album,
that time frame in that picture, Axl and GNR could have been huge again. It's sad.
It feels like whatever we get now is going to be a "What could have been."
sad

Nice find though. Even though you made me depressed! wink

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

Damn.  Bucket looks 12 feet tall in that clip.  Thanks for posting that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
sic. wrote:

The co-writer of Nottingham Lace is right there next to Axl, all smiles.

Was that written before or after Bucket was involved with GNR? Just interested smile

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Personally I would love it if Axl was able to bring back Bucket into the fold.  And here is why.  When GNR started they were a dangerous band and they looked dangerous.  I'm sorry but back in the 80's there is no way in hell I would've let those guys in my house.  Axl's band now including Axl himself don't look dangerous not one bit.  They try to act dangerous by starting late and all but I just don't buy it this time around.  Axl doesn't do rants anymore, doesn't interact with the crowd, basically they look like normal people.  In comes Buckethead.  This guy looks anything but normal and could pass out as being dangerous by rock n roll standards.  I'm sorry but if my daughter would come home telling me she wants me to meet her new boyfriend and the boyfriend ends up being Bucket.  I am not a happy camper at all.  Plus Bucket much like Slash has guitar god like talent and if Axl actually accepted to release new music, people would come to realise that and appreciate it.  So while Axl and the rest of the band looks nice and normal, having Bucket in the band would tell people that he can still hang with the baddest of them.  In my opinion Buckethead is THE major factor to bring Axl back on top of the world.  He has the look and talent to do it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
sic. wrote:

The co-writer of Nottingham Lace is right there next to Axl, all smiles.

Was that written before or after Bucket was involved with GNR? Just interested smile

Bucket started playing it in concert before recording it. The earliest boot it shows up on in my collection is 3.31.04 from the Rave in Milwaukee (yes, that is all from my memory). So that's right after leaving, right? If so, I'd geuss it got its start in the CD sessions. Imagine that as a GNR tune?!?

On a side note, I'm convinced also that Soothsayer was meant to be a GNR epic. It fits the bill.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting...i was just thinking you know how Axl accused bucket of using GNR for his own personal gain on side projects or something like that, and generally I've always thought it was bullshit cos its not like bucket runs around talking about his time in GNR to promote himself. But maybe Axl ment collaboration wise? Like he used his time in GNR to make friends then went off and recorded solo tracks...just a theory. I'm not saying Axl is right or wromg, just i've never undersood how he could even figure that happened...maybe this is how. Like I can see why axl would be jealous of stuff..like the twat outro is cool and all...but its nothing on that ending to nottingham lace...

Hmmm...soothsayer and notthingham lace as GNR tues....fuck that would gave been some cool as shit. That notthigham lace solo has to be one of the coolest things recorded ever by any guitarist..i'd have loved to see Axl worked in somehow....

Board footer