You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

Re: YouTube Ordered To Hand Over User Details!

BurningHills wrote:

YouTube ordered to hand over user details
----------------------------------------------
Last Updated: Thursday, July 3, 2008 | 11:24 AM ET Comments31Recommend41
CBC News

A U.S. federal judge has ordered Google Inc. to hand over to media giant Viacom the records of every video users have watched on the video-sharing site YouTube, records that include users' names and IP addresses.

Viacom is suing Google for not doing enough to keep its copyrighted videos from television shows such as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report off the popular website YouTube.

Viacom, which owns several U.S. television networks including MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and Spike TV, alleged in $1-billion US lawsuit launched in March 2007 that almost 160,000 unauthorized clips of its programming are available on YouTube. Those clips have been viewed more than 1.5 billion times, Viacom charged.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008 … oogle.html

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BurningHills

BurningHills wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I saw this story on Attack of the Show the other day and was pretty bummed about it.

The implication is that they'll try to go the route the RIAA did with p2p networks. So basically, if I think a Viacom product is funny or entertaining and I want others to see it, I share it and get sued. Awesome.

But how is streaming video anywhere near the same as P2P? Sure, there's ways to download stuff from Youtube, but it's fairly uncommon. There's no real financial gain in it, so why bother?

It's just another case of a dying conglomerate taking one last step in desperation at the very people who have kept it on life support time after time. It sickens me, really.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I support this. I have had people impersonating me on youtube for years(I do NOT post on that site), and if youtube starts cracking down on its own content, someone working there will finally do something not just about official material, but the psychotics who post there.

BurningHills

BurningHills wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I support this. I have had people impersonating me on youtube for years(I do NOT post on that site), and if youtube starts cracking down on its own content, someone working there will finally do something not just about official material, but the psychotics who post there.

In that case, it's a good thing - but the main concern is that this is such a huge invasion of privacy, and that it looks like many are going to be sued for simply watching a video on there. That's a MAJOR load of BS.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I don't think so BH. They're not going to sue the individuals for watching it (similar to when they sued people who downloaded 30,000+ songs or whatever). I think they are forcing Google to hand over the information so they will have documented "how many users wathced their clips and how many times they watched them" This would be relevant to the amount of damages in lost advertising Viacom could have had. I agree it's BS, because Viacom didn't have clips up on their own site at the time, or it wasn't very popular at least. However, possibly youtube & Google were making $ off advertising. So say $.05 per play, video played 500,000 times, well you get the idea.

The IP's are requested because advertisers make a difference between views and unique views (ie, not the same person watching it 40 different times). Youtube is a great site, but they need to work with the copywright holders & share revenue if they want to move forward. Otherwise, it's going to end up with a bunch of morons on their cell phone taping themselves & their friends for 40 seconds.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I don't think so BH. They're not going to sue the individuals for watching it (similar to when they sued people who downloaded 30,000+ songs or whatever). I think they are forcing Google to hand over the information so they will have documented "how many users wathced their clips and how many times they watched them" This would be relevant to the amount of damages in lost advertising Viacom could have had. I agree it's BS, because Viacom didn't have clips up on their own site at the time, or it wasn't very popular at least. However, possibly youtube & Google were making $ off advertising. So say $.05 per play, video played 500,000 times, well you get the idea.

The IP's are requested because advertisers make a difference between views and unique views (ie, not the same person watching it 40 different times). Youtube is a great site, but they need to work with the copywright holders & share revenue if they want to move forward. Otherwise, it's going to end up with a bunch of morons on their cell phone taping themselves & their friends for 40 seconds.

That's all well and good, but what happened to privacy? People seem to think it's ok because it's the internet, but really it's nothing different than going through your drawers or opening paper mail.

Viacom may think they're losing money, but what does that got to do with us? Sue google all they want, but stay the fuck away from the users.

Fuckin' multicorporations. They say jump, everybody say 'how high?'. Oh dear, we only made a 100 trillion last year, what a crime!!!

Apoch
 Rep: 0 

Apoch wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I saw this story on Attack of the Show the other day and was pretty bummed about it.

The implication is that they'll try to go the route the RIAA did with p2p networks. So basically, if I think a Viacom product is funny or entertaining and I want others to see it, I share it and get sued. Awesome.

I think this lawsuit is just about people who watch ENTIRE videos and whatnot. There is a rule regarding sampling, which I'm assuming would be the same here. I highly doubt Viacom is going to care if someone posts a 40 second clip of a show that they found funny. It's the people posting whole episodes that gets their goat.

However, technically this ISN'T a breach as far as I have been informed regarding copyright laws. It would be illegal if the programs were available on DVD. Like Daily Show and Colbert, they aren't available on DVD, so fans stream it. Sure you can catch it on re-runs, but the issue is, how are we supposed to see what we miss? That is as far as my understanding goes, but it might be a bit dated. Been two years since I spoke with a lawyer regarding that issue.

So yeah, you can share, but not the entire freakin' episode haha.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree with you polluxm, and wasn't trying to defend the invasion of privacy. I was just stating that they probably were not going to come after individual users with lawsuits like they did with the big-time song downloaders.

Apoch that lawyer you spoke to needs to go to night school for a couple classes. It's blatant use of copyrighted material without authorization, and worse yet, youtube was making money off of advertising. Its not the users Viacom will go after, but youtube & google. As polluxlm said, wahhhhhhh we only made $100 million dollars this year, wahhhhhhhh...

I don't feel bad for Viacom, but at the same time you & I can't just start up a website repeating last nights Daily Show episodes either...

Board footer