You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

Re: Random Robin Thoughts

ereeper wrote:

With all that's happened over the last few weeks there has been more bucket talk then Robin which got me thinking...

*Did Robin bail for NIN when he heard bucket was coming back?

*Any chance that this song was recorded w/o Robin or will he be a player on the song?

*NIN is done with the first leg of the tour at a good time for Robin to negotiate.  Does he come back in time for the possible VMA performance/album drop/tour or stick with Trent?

I know there are a fair share of Robin critics.  I've been a fan since he has been in GN'R.  I remember thinking in 02 that I would probably favor bucket live, but Robin stole the show in Chicago.  Not that bucket was poor or bad or anything, I just really dug Robin's stage presence that night when I got to see GN'R for the first time since 1993. 

I loved how Robin took the lead in 2006 and liked the rockstar look better then the Trent's bitch look.  At the time I thought the band could survive just fine w/o bucket, not that BBF was better, but BBF is a good copycat guitarist who can mimick anyone's work.

Now fast forward to 2008...

It would be great to see bucket and Robin on the same stage again.  I think we can at least all agree the band needs one of them to stand on two legs unless 21 is on stage.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think its pretty obvious why he bailed now. Contract expired and he moved on. Its not gonna be promoted as a real band anyways, so his contributions in that regard would have been minimal. He's on the album, and now headed for greener pastures.

GNR is Axl Rose.

Chinese Democracy is Axl Rose.

Why hang around when he could record another album immediately with NIN and go on tour with them?

He's not coming back. He has no reason to anyways.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't see why Robin wouldn't want to come back for a tour when NIN's finished.

Trent gives him the pleasure of doing something right now, but GN'R is where his blood and sweat have been spent for the last 10 years. In GN'R he's a potential star playing his own songs.

In NIN he's really just the live guitarist.

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't see why Robin wouldn't want to come back for a tour when NIN's finished.

Trent gives him the pleasure of doing something right now, but GN'R is where his blood and sweat have been spent for the last 10 years. In GN'R he's a potential star playing his own songs.

In NIN he's really just the live guitarist.

He was never in a band entity while in GNR. Couldn't even talk about GNR on his own website for 10 years. Had to write poetry and draw pictures instead.

He owns none of the rights to GNR. Has not ONE single promo pic in GNR and was in the band from 1997-2008. Not even any merchandise with him on it or any kudos from the official GNR site.

He joins NIN, two seconds later Trent is praising him and releasing an album(that got massive attention). He gets to do things in his own style and while he doesn't own anything in NIN, it suits him better as an artist.

He gets recognition and respect in NIN, something he never got while in GNR.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

Well NIN starts their second leg on 10-4.  Robin is not promoting those dates on robin.finck.com
He does have the "more dates later", but that has been there for awhile.  That leads me to think that he may be leaving the door open regarding his future which puts him in a good position.  Is the single release an effort by Axl to show Robin that the time is now to lure him back?

James

James wrote:
ereeper wrote:

Is the single release an effort by Axl to show Robin that the time is now to lure him back?

No. Its Azoff doing his job.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's still his hooks and solos in GN'R. It's his.

NIN may be a fun change for the moment and the future, but if he's doing nothing why shouldn't he join the CD World tour if and when it arrives? As it looks now he's free to do stuff like NIN when GN'R is doing nothing. And even now when they're in the process of doing something the door is open for him. There's been no chastizeation (best word I could come up with) from the GN'R camp.

We should also consider that the guy might feel a little guilty if everybody's ready to go but him.

He could return, or he could not. The jury's not even received the notice in the mail yet. Anything can happen.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't see how he could invest so much (70 songs just by 1999) and not want to see everything
he worked on come to fruition. The only reason I could see him want to leave is if indeed Bucket
came back into the fold.

If he's gone I say call up Dave Navarro and move on. That really pains me to say that but at this
point, with everything being as close as it is, I'd rather see the band move on than try and wait for
someone to come around again. There's no doubt in my mind the album has been delayed since
2004 because of trying to get Buckethead back. sad

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
misterID wrote:

There's no doubt in my mind the album has been delayed since
2004 because of trying to get Buckethead back. sad

I agree completely. I mean people try and disprove that by the leaks from 07, but we don't know that those are from 07. For all we know Axl could have had the masters sitting in a safe at his house for the last 4 years. The demos we have could very well be from 2002. Robin, like Axl said, will do what Robin wants, and whether that's 3 for gn'r or trent we'll have to wait and see. Although it would be awesome if bucket did come back I Only see that happening right before a tour.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

My theory (total speculation):

I get the feeling he bailed when Axl and Azoff came to the conclusion that without the 01 line-up they couldn't have a big world tour. And so they decided they would do some promotion with Axl's face alone, and maybe play some late night shows or an awards show, or make appearances on TV instead of playing for months in arenas. Knowing his album work was done, and seeing very little future in Guns, Robin jumped to NIN, where his face is known among fans, where the band's identity is not a lie and a facade, and where Trent gives him the oppurtunity to record and then tour while being in charge of all the guitar sounds.

[end theory]

I think he's always preferred the NIN experience to the Guns one, and if Trent hadn't struggled with addiction, and fallen into a period of silence, Robin would have left Guns for good back in 99.

Besides, even if GN'R were to tour CD after its release, how much bigger could it be? The album would be lucky to hit platinum, the band beyond Axl is still unrecognizable, and how many CD songs do you think they'll play? 6 maybe? They already did that amount in 06 on many nights, and I just can't imagine Axl putting on a Guns show without 3-4 non-single AFD songs. I don't think Robin cares about playing Mr. Brownstone or It's So Easy or Nightrain or Rocket Queen, and those songs, even after an album release, will be played live over and over again.

Board footer