You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The X-FILES Thread

PaSnow wrote:

I liked episode 2 as well.  Probably more than ep 1 but you gotta give that a pass due to time needed to be spent explaining the background of the shows premise (to the newer/younger audience), as well as explain they Mulder & Sculley have been up to & why they've reunited after 15 years.

Hard to believe it's been that long, geez. Seems like it only ended 5 or 6 years ago. That said, I think 6 eps is wise. Just more of a mini-series. 13 coulda pushed it and it grown stale or regurgitated, plus I'm sure the actors salaries were pretty high.

Not sure about Gillian Anderson, too much facelift & botox for me. I always liked her as more of the anti-Hollywood, now we see her go this route.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Tonight's episode was classic spooky X-Files. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but both new episodes have pleased me.

This says it all. I HAVE LOVED this revival. Fox is getting good at these, because 24's revived/rebooted 9th Season was really good and classic-24 as well.

What The X-Files is doing is how Dallas should've went. Just get right into it, and pick up where you left off, but in the present. But Dallas was dealing with even more of a convoluted canon, that just confused the shit out of people because it had already been retconned dozens of times in different forms.

What I think has been ACE about this revival is that, they just picked up where they left off. This doesn't feel like a DIFFERENT series. So many shows make that mistake.

Chris Carter revived the show to a T. I mean spot on. The intro, the theme music, the of-kilter dynamic between Mulder & Scully vs. AD Skinner like in the early days, the cinematography, Mark Snow scoring it, taking it back to being filmed in-and-around Vancouver, BC like the earlier episodes, going back and hiring the old writing duo of James Wong & Glen Morgan who were writers/producers on this in the EARLY days of The X-Files. Back when the show was the stuff of legend.

These early Season 10 episodes, feel NOTHING like that abortion "X-Files 2" movie that felt like a lost episode from Season 9.

So far these new episodes have felt like Seasons 1-3. The glory days. Deep Throat, Mr. X, Cig... damn.

What's scary is ALL of the new conspiracy shit they talked about in the first episode is very real and going on right now. Look up Dr. David Jacobs, Global Warming scarcity, FEMA camps... very cool. It's cool Chris Carter merged all the modern day conspiracies, 9/11 hoax, all that shit into the modern revival.

Damn... the conspiracy episode kicked ass (Atari is right tho, dialogue fucking SUCKED with Mulder/Scully, the episode didn't start until Joel McHale & Mulder went Alex Jones on Scully, that's when it KICKED IN)

Then the 2nd episode with the stand alone hybrid thing... that one was EVEN BETTER.

All of my favorite shows have ended or been cancelled. Sons, Justified, Burn Notice, Person of Interest, Dallas, True Detective... only show I have left is The Blacklist.

But having The X-Files back. Like this? It's like going home to meet an old friend. I cannot WAIT for next Monday at 8 o'clock to get here.

FUCK YEAH! 9

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Mulder shaving his beard bumped this show a few notches. Still think it's weird they both sound like they're 85 years old.

Better episode. Doug Savant was a good choice for the guest role. Pretty decent plot.

Is there a meta trend in movies and television now? The previews from the next episode were done in a very self mocking way. Same thing in Star Wars where the characters act like they are fans of the movie.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Mulder shaving his beard bumped this show a few notches. Still think it's weird they both sound like they're 85 years old.

Better episode. Doug Savant was a good choice for the guest role. Pretty decent plot.

Is there a meta trend in movies and television now? The previews from the next episode were done in a very self mocking way. Same thing in Star Wars where the characters act like they are fans of the movie.

Doug Savant is underrated. Because he was on Melrose Place and Desperate Housewives, he isn't taken seriously.

evader
 Rep: 27 

evader wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Tonight's episode was classic spooky X-Files. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but both new episodes have pleased me.

Damn... the conspiracy episode kicked ass (Atari is right tho, dialogue fucking SUCKED with Mulder/Scully, the episode didn't start until Joel McHale & Mulder went Alex Jones on Scully, that's when it KICKED IN)

Then the 2nd episode with the stand alone hybrid thing... that one was EVEN BETTER.

All of my favorite shows have ended or been cancelled. Sons, Justified, Burn Notice, Person of Interest, Dallas, True Detective... only show I have left is The Blacklist.

But having The X-Files back. Like this? It's like going home to meet an old friend. I cannot WAIT for next Monday at 8 o'clock to get here.

FUCK YEAH! 9

I'm loving this reboot also. Polluxlm is right - both Mulder and Scully sound like they are 30 years older than they are. Weird. But both of the first two episodes had my full attention. Been rewatching old episodes on Netflix for almost a month. This new season is off to a good start.

Axlin, The Blacklist is amazing. Love that show. Person of Interest will be sorely missed. It'll be interesting to see if the remaining episodes ever see the light of day. Limitless is pretty entertaining also.

AtariLegend wrote:

For those that loved the latest self-parody episode, just remember that this kind of nonsense in season 7 is when the ratings plummeted. It's absolutely not why I started watching the show and almost killed it back in the day.

johndivney wrote:

Yea terrible ep. I understand why they did it, but they should've resisted the urge & cut that crap. It's only 6 eps ffs they don't need to waste one on shite.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Totally disagree. The humorous episodes were some of the best. Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung, Bad Blood, etc. are classics for a reason.

AtariLegend wrote:

This was no were near as Clyde/Jose episodes and this made Bad Blood look like Sergio Leon's "Once upon a time in Amercica" when it came to  silliness.

The handful of lighter tone episodes (much better written) from earlier seasons weren't the main reason for the shows success. The random Monster of the week episodes and the myth arc (which was done alot better in the earlier seasons) were what the show was known for.

They eventually went away from that by season 7 and turned every other episode into a silly self parody case. It wasn't serious and the show almost ended up cancelled. It was almost like different people were making it tongue.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Watching it now, gosh its bad.  I had to log on here to see if this was really the episode?!  Its terrible.

I agree with only 6 eps theres no time for this. A filler episode in a 24 week season maybe, but not episode 3 of 6. A few tweaks and take it more seriously and it has a chance, but this is bad.

Board footer