You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: More leaks soon?

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I really hope nothing more leaks. If the album is indeed coming soon, and some signs are there to support that...

I'd rather just wait and be surprised when I get the album.

Yeah, I'm a bit torn on that myself. I do want there to be some surprise left. But Shackler's
Revenge is something different, mosty because we're all going to be hearing it in a month anyway.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

It is not the bands fault or the media's fault that you personally were expecting something better or were expecting something different or simply got caught in media hype or simply wanted the music 10 years ago.

We're gonna ride that merry go round again?:haha: Yes, it is the band's fault. They promised unicorns and all that has been unveiled are donkeys. I could refer you to a telephone book sized list of comments from band members and/or producers and other assorted people near the GNR camp, but I have a feeling you would ignore it(again) and then tell me tomorrow its not the band's fault.:haha::smile:

When an artist/band comments on their own material, it isn't to be taken with a grain of salt. When they comment for 10 years, there better not even be a salt shaker in the same room. For some reason you seem to think there should be an asterisk next to Guns N Roses with the saying, "universal law not applied here".

I'm not giving them a free pass just because its my favorite band.

M.I.A. used to run her mouth about Kala before it was released. Even had the nerve to say," I have the most interesting record." Well, when that finally came out, I put it under my microscope. It didn't disappoint, and actually exceeded my expectations. You think I should throw away my microscope because they hyped it for ten years? Please.....

When it was proclaimed "earth shattering", someone forgot to send me the memo that says Simply Red and Praxis outtakes are now earth shattering.

Not many are saying the songs suck. They just aren't earth shattering. If Buckethead joined Simply Red tomorrow, we'd have twenty If The World's by Wednesday.

Thanks for the info Incognito(and MSL). As you know, you can post that type of info here and not have to  deal with trolls.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Where I can stand with madgas on this is that it's up to the fan to decide whether or not to take
comments with a grain of salt. All artists are going to say their next record is their best. I've never
heard one artist say their next release was lame, no good, okay or just "Eh.."

Bands always make outlandish claims, and I have to say, I never once heard Axl feed into this. He
was always very wary about describing it. Even to the point of saying it's not going to sound like
a typcial Guns record and people should like at least a few songs on CD. That's not exactly claiming
its "earth shattering."

The biggest hype came from people outside the band, not so much the band themselves.

Do they share some blame for the hype? I guess you could say so if you were so inclined, but its
not their fault people bought into it. I think everyone should approach an album with a skeptics eye
or more times than not, you're going to be disappointed. That's the fans responsibility not to be
duped by a marketing machine.

Like Prostitute, people built that song up in their own minds, themseleves. I never once heard the
band specifically talk about this song or hype it. People outside the band did and the fans jumped
on it. I don't think it was Axl's fault people were let down because it wasn't the greatest song ever.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

The biggest hype came from people outside the band, not so much the band themselves.

It was the band. Amazing that people are now forgetting this as we hear more tracks.If some reporter had hyped it, I wouldn't give a shit. Hell, a few months ago Fortus said it was unlike anything ever heard. I can safely say he's full of shit.

Band members and those associated with the project hyped this thing. I can honestly say I've never seen a reporter hype it. Its always Stinson, Fortus, Bumble, Dizzy, or someone else. You're right though.....Axl never hyped the record himself. His payroll did.

Not their fault people bought into it? Whose fault is it then? Are we supposed to ignore all opinions on the songs by the people who either recorded them or heard them?

Of course I'm skeptical. The emperor is prancing around in the nude. There's actual music to judge now, not band members saying its the reinvention of the wheel with nothing to stake such a claim on.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember the band blowing this album up. It was
always very vague, even when they were praising it. And again, I have NEVER heard any
other band out there not say what this band has said about their forthcoming album.

When you make music, or anything for that matter, that means something to you of course
you're going to think it's special. That's natural. And you do want to express that and hopefully
get interest.

Shit, some people need to be adults about this. When I go into a diner that has a huge sign
out front that says "The worlds greatest apple pie" then I eat it, but discover my moms is better,
I'm not going to throw a fit about it. These people obviously think its the best pie in the word, and
I'm not exactly ordering the pie to challenge them on it.

Sometimes you just want a good fucking apple pie! It doesn't have to be the greatest.

It's ALL in the eye of the beholder. Personally, what I've heard of CD so far blows the UYI albums
away. But that's my opinion, and no one ever stated that this would be a fact BEFORE I heard CD's
songs.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember the band blowing this album up. It was
always very vague

Its earth shattering.....

Its mind blowing....

Its Physical Graffiti mixed by Trent Reznor.....

Its Led Zeppelin II....

Unlike anything you've ever heard before.....

How is that "vague"?

Shit, some people need to be adults about this.

So I'm a child because I'm holding it to the standard set by those who recorded it?

When I go into a diner that has a huge sign
out front that says "The worlds greatest apple pie" then I eat it, but discover my moms is better,
I'm not going to throw a fit about it. These people obviously think its the best pie in the word, and
I'm not exactly ordering the pie to challenge them on it.

If that diner had told you for 10 years that it was the greatest apple pie in the world, you finally get to take a bite and it isn't, I have a feeling you might say something about it.

Who's throwing a fit? We're talking about the music here.  People who like it but don't think its the greatest are having hissy fits?

If anyone is having issues regarding this, brace yourselves because when its released, not only is it gonna be compared to the comments above(and more), its gonna be compared to the old band's discography, which is a can of worms I haven't even opened yet.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, David Wild from Rolling Stone said it sounded like Led Zep remixed by Trent Reznor.....I personally hear some of that in Maddy,Rhiyad, and Irs. David Fricke from Rolling Stone just gave the leaks a great review as well saying it sounded like a modern day Sunset Strip "Madman Across The Water" (a classic Elton John album). I agree with their take on the leaks-but that is JUST me. Just because Tommy says something is epic and earth shattering doesn't mean I agree with him.....but then again he just may have heard the other 30 purported tracks that exist that we have no idea about. I believe he was involved pretty heavily in the project.:cool: Now, as I have said before and will say again, earth shattering and epic to Tommy is anything more than 4 minutes with more than bass, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and drums.....he is from a very minimalist background. What don't you understand about that? And to Fortus' comment, name me one hard rock group out there today that could pull off the diversity in the leaks we have heard? Seriously, nobody is doing all that stuff because most modern singers aren't that eclectic...just talking hard rock here. What band is playing solos like Bucket's shit on the radio today? Nickelback-puhhhlease? The fact that he could pull off a Simply Red track then flip to something as nasty and angry as Silkworms tells me something.  I am standing my ground on this issue James and we will go toe to toe till the cows come home. Personally, I read so many critics reviews and other bands reviews of their forthcoming albums that I really only focus on what I think.

misterID

misterID wrote:

James, you're taking this a little personal. I didn't call you a child, and of course you can view
this anyway you want to. But imo it is childish to make this thing an issue. I'm sure in the bands
minds they have made something very special. And I guarantee you other fans who listen to it
will agree. Some will think it is mind blowing and earth shattering. And you perhaps won't. But
it is a matter of opinion. I've heard established critics who I respect immensely, like Fricke from
Rollingstone, heap praise on the songs. Just because you don't see it that way, or that you felt
lied to or mislead by your quotes above, doesn't mean everyone will. So this is a pissing in the
wind type of argument.

And reguarding the quotes...  Some of them I recognize as being made by people outside the
band. And I'm sorry, I don't feel they are responsible for those "expressed opinions" of others.
And who am I to say that Fortus and Stinston don't feel like this is mindblowing music? Like I said
before, I'm sure there are going to be many fans who agree with their statements.

People can judge CD on any criteria they feel fit. And its our own personal responsibiltiy to sift
through them and judge it for ourselves. Because a lot of opinions are going to be based in bullshit.
And yes, there will be hissy fit type reactions.

And I'm taking any statement, on a record or apple pie at face value. Because it is someone
elses opinion, one that I might not share.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer