You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

Re: More leaks soon?

bucketfoot wrote:

While I understand people's viewpoints, I have to respectfully disagree. While I don't think the final "Chinese Democracy" album will cure cancer or solve world hunger, but like russtcb said..many feel that the new songs live up to the GN'R Legacy. That's very telling in and of itself.

Personally, I think that the songwriting is some of the best ever notably on "The Blues" and "Madagascar".

The point is, very avid music fans like my main man Jimmy Lofton probably won't care that much about "Chinese Democracy". But as for avid, rabid GN'R fans and the mainsteam music audience, this album is nothing short of a revelation.

It's like a movie like "WALL-E" or "The Dark Knight". They satiate the hardcore base with something of substance but also show casual fans that there's more to be had than fluffy, cotton candy, fast-food type movies.

When GN'R was out there touring in 2006, the buzz was incredible. Not just by us GN'R fans, but by the casual crowd. People had a bad taste in their mouth about 2002 Botox, Mickey Mouse Axl and then they saw videos from places like Download and Rock Am Ring and were won over.

The leaks are just demos. We need to remember that. While certainly some of the songs won't change that much, the final versions will have stronger vocals and be much more organic. Then there's songs like "Shackler's Revenge" that blew our minds.

So, the mystery is still there. And I think that mainsteam audiences will eat the album up whenever it's out.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Then there's songs like "Shackler's Revenge" that blew our minds.

Wait, you heard Shackler's Revenge??!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

James, David Wild from Rolling Stone said it sounded like Led Zep remixed by Trent Reznor.....I personally hear some of that in Maddy,Rhiyad, and Irs.

Well,I don't remember where every single hyped comment comes from. I know the other Zep references were made by band members, although don't remember which ones.

Yeah,there's a bit of Zep influence. Pitman is channeling John Paul Jones in a few places. Would I go out on a limb and claim its Zeppelin II or Zep mixed by Reznor? No. However, if that one particular comment is from a journalist, I'll pass the salt around.

Riyadh sounds like Zeppelin? Sounds like Praxis to me....

Just because Tommy says something is epic and earth shattering doesn't mean I agree with him.....but then again he just may have heard the other 30 purported tracks that exist that we have no idea about. I believe he was involved pretty heavily in the project.:cool: Now, as I have said before and will say again, earth shattering and epic to Tommy is anything more than 4 minutes with more than bass, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and drums.....he is from a very minimalist background. What don't you understand about that?

So because Tommy has "low standards"(don't take that out of context), my standards are supposed to change? He should have elaborated more on this issue when he was hyping it every ten seconds. My thinking would be more like yours if he had. Yeah, this stuff is more complex than anything he did in the past, but are you insinuating he is close minded musically and has to compare everything to what he recorded in the 80's?

And to Fortus' comment, name me one hard rock group out there today that could pull off the diversity in the leaks we have heard? Seriously, nobody is doing all that stuff because most modern singers aren't that eclectic...just talking hard rock here. What band is playing solos like Bucket's shit on the radio today? Nickelback-puhhhlease?

I'm no expert on new rock, so I'll have to dodge the question. Fortus didn't say "hard rock". You're elaborating for him. He made a bold statement and that check cant be cashed. Love it or hate it, M.I.A. and Switch sat in a studio for a few months and created something much more groundbreaking, "mind blowing",etc. than these guys did in a decade.

When Fortus makes such statements, I'm not taking the easy way out that benefits him and compare it to Nickelback. I'll compare it to music thats actually fresh and relevant, and Fortus failed that test.

Oh, and NOBODY solos like Bucket. Not even anyone in GNR now.

The fact that he could pull off a Simply Red track then flip to something as nasty and angry as Silkworms tells me something.

Oh I agree there. While these sessions look to be a mess, it does show the wide range of talent he had in 2000-04 to work on this album. While it may sound like I'm ragging on the material, I'm not. Its just having trouble meeting the expectations that were set for it.

I am standing my ground on this issue James and we will go toe to toe till the cows come home.

I wouldn't expect anything less.:thumbup:

Personally, I read so many critics reviews and other bands reviews of their forthcoming albums that I really only focus on what I think.

Oh I agree, but when its the artists themselves making comments, I'm not gonna ignore it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The point is, very avid music fans like my main man Jimmy Lofton probably won't care that much about "Chinese Democracy". But as for avid, rabid GN'R fans and the mainsteam music audience, this album is nothing short of a revelation.

What in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

does anyone have a scan of the Fricke/RS review they could post?:buckethead:

Sky Dog wrote:

1. The vocals in Rhiyad are VERY Zeppelinesque..specifically Immigrant Song
2. Tommy's standards aren't low...he just came from a polar opposite background to what he is playing now.
3. Zep II refernece came from Brain. Other Zep reference was the Geffen A&R guy Jim Barber I believe who said the album sounded like the best moments of 70's Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.
4. There are obviously plenty of popular, critically acclaimed artists with more diverse backgrounds and catalogs than Axl. Radiohead and Thom Yorke being my favorite. However, their direct competition for airtime in their radio genre will be hard rock.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

What in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Settle down there Jimmy Jims, I meant it in a good way. You listen to a lot of different music and like you said a page ago, you weren't really as bothered about it because you have other stuff to listen to which helps pass the time.

misterID wrote:

Wait, you heard Shackler's Revenge??!

No, I meant the title itself. There's been like tons of pages of discussion about the title itself and the fact that it was a Buckethead song.

People are very excited about the song just because of the title.

The point is, just because we've heard a good chunk of the material, doesn't mean that there isn't mystery left.

Sky Dog wrote:

Bright Eyes, here is what Fricke said...don't have a scan

"Three big, dark, snarling new songs from the longest-awaited album ever."

"'Chinese Democracy is nearly here - based on these nine tracks, reportedly in final mastered form - and its deeply weird, in epic-reach and fuck-your-expectation ways that make me want to hear the whole thing pronto, in something better than this pinched-digital fidelity.  Of the new songs, "Rhiad and the Bedouins" is the closest to the snarling-guitar rumpus of Appetite for Destruction.  "If the World" and a third, untitled number are - like the previously leaked "There Was a Time" - midtempo, big production orgies, the former with a dusky Seventies-R&B flair, the latter cresting in an hammering chorus with singer Axl Rose at the peak of his shriek.  The effect is bleak and brawling, like Elton John's Madman Across the Water reset in a ravaged hard-rock Hollywood."    - David Fricke

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

One thing that is surprising me, and this is just my point of view please don't go off on me for this, but how can any of you make any of these comments on 11 out of 70 songs? We haven't even heard a quarter of the songs and already people are saying it's nothing groundbreaking, or earthshattering. Can't you see? This is earthshattering! This project has used up 15 mill! 14
Seriously though, None of us have heard some of the more epic songs from this. For all we know(Axl said it and I believe it) this is FILLER  Show me a few albums that have filler as good as these songs.

Board footer