You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Guns N' Roses launching iTunes promotion: 'Ides of March' hint?

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:

While I agree the album should've been dropped years ago, since apparently it's the same material.  I don't agree that there's a plan B to the Rock Band release.  I don't see how GNR could get away with announcing on all major media outlets that a new song would be featured on the game and then go around and make it a classic GNR tune.  I mean I know this is GNR, and nothing ever goes to plan.  But why would they even post on their website about the song if there was even the slightest possibility that the song(s) could be switched?  I know the website is hardly ever updated, but that supports my point even more.  They could've said nothing about it, then they'd have an easy out.  They've commented on it, and we're all expecting it, I don't see how they could back out at this point.  Maybe I'm naive.

Why would Axl announce a tentative release date for an album that is more than 10 years in the making only to not mention it again for a year and half almost 2 years?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:

While I agree the album should've been dropped years ago, since apparently it's the same material.  I don't agree that there's a plan B to the Rock Band release.  I don't see how GNR could get away with announcing on all major media outlets that a new song would be featured on the game and then go around and make it a classic GNR tune.  I mean I know this is GNR, and nothing ever goes to plan.  But why would they even post on their website about the song if there was even the slightest possibility that the song(s) could be switched?  I know the website is hardly ever updated, but that supports my point even more.  They could've said nothing about it, then they'd have an easy out.  They've commented on it, and we're all expecting it, I don't see how they could back out at this point.  Maybe I'm naive.

Why would Axl announce a tentative release date for an album that is more than 10 years in the making only to not mention it again for a year and half almost 2 years?

The band, or the article on www.gunsnroses.com didn't say that "Shackler's Revenge" was tentatively gonna be on Rock Band 2. 

I know what you're saying, but there is a difference.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

This in no way similar to Oh My God. I think everyone involved is done testing the waters. Especially since nine songs have leaked off the album, they're not going to throw one we haven't heard out there on top of it.

Plus, this is being treated completely different than Oh My God.

What do prior leaks have to do with Shackler itself? Nothing.  Its one song being used to promote a product. Thats what Oh My God was, and thats what this is.

The only way its being treated differently is Axl is giving zero info about the track, and I don't consider that much of a good thing. Hard to promote a song when the composer of it doesn't give two shits and the singer isn't interested in talking either.

Why the hell would they need a "test the waters" track, especially since almost all mainstreams rock mags and critics have reviewed the leaks already? They've already tested the waters. Shit, some of the songs have already charted on radio. That makes no sense to have a "test the waters" track when they already know what the reaction to the new GNR sound is going to be. I don't see smart people like Axl's management team blowing their load on a NEW GNR song, never heard before, knowing what the reaction to that would be, just to test the waters.

And wasn't Oh My God released without his permission?

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:

The band, or the article on www.gunsnroses.com didn't say that "Shackler's Revenge" was tentatively gonna be on Rock Band 2. 

I didn't imply that SR was said to be tentatively on RB2 but it's still the same thing.  If U2, Metallica, Bon Jovi or any other big popular bands announce a tentative release date for an album.  You can bet your ass that almost 2 years later that album WILL HAVE been released.  Her we are a year and a half and more than that after he released that statement on his website and not only he hasn't released the stupid album but he barely or hasn't mentioned it since.  And you say you would be surprised if SR isn't in RB 2?  I'll be surprised if IT IS RB2.  I wouldn't be surpirzed that it isn't in the game and that they don't mention anything about this ever again.  And this is another department where Azoff has failed.  By now he sould've made Axl hire better PR people.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

This in no way similar to Oh My God. I think everyone involved is done testing the waters. Especially since nine songs have leaked off the album, they're not going to throw one we haven't heard out there on top of it.

Plus, this is being treated completely different than Oh My God.

What do prior leaks have to do with Shackler itself? Nothing.  Its one song being used to promote a product. Thats what Oh My God was, and thats what this is.

The only way its being treated differently is Axl is giving zero info about the track, and I don't consider that much of a good thing. Hard to promote a song when the composer of it doesn't give two shits and the singer isn't interested in talking either.

Why the hell would they need a "test the waters" track, especially since almost all mainstreams rock mags and critics have reviewed the leaks already? They've already tested the waters. Shit, some of the songs have already charted on radio. That makes no sense to have a "test the waters" track when they already know what the reaction to the new GNR sound is going to be. I don't see smart people like Axl's management team blowing their load on a NEW GNR song, never heard before, knowing what the reaction to that would be, just to test the waters.

Why?  Cause Axl doesn't have the guts to release this album.  And trust me since Oh my God was on the End of Days soundtrack they definitely got his permission.  Or else there would've been a lawsuit.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Go read the encyclopedia sized meaning of the song he wrote while promoting it for End of Days and saying how great it was.

Then after doing that, go check his excuse after the world hated it.

Why the hell would they need a "test the waters" track

I'm amazed you would even ask that after enduring the 96-08 period.

Yeah, and the HD ad didn't say Better would "tentatively" be on the commercial.

We got Paradise City instead.

I remember similar hype during that. Fans saying "THIS IT IT!!!", "they're gonna blow our minds with Better as the 1st single!!", and whadda ya know....

We're rocking out to AFD instead, and about to do so again as its getting a vinyl re-re-re-re-release when their full concentration should be Chinese Democracy.

1999: Oh My God/Live Era
2002: re-emerged with a medley consisting of 2 AFD tracks while announcing CD starts now.
2006: Better about to launch/PC instead

Hard to believe I'm the only person detecting a pattern.

No matter what happens, we always wind up with AFD again.

Lets look at the recent happenings.....

Finck looks for relevancy
Two ancient demos go on sale on Itunes
Shackler gets announced
AFD to be released for the thousandth time(why? It never went out of print) with the Rape cover intact.

Forgive me if I'm not 100% convinced that Chinese Democracy starts now.

faldor

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I didn't imply that SR was said to be tentatively on RB2 but it's still the same thing.  If U2, Metallica, Bon Jovi or any other big popular bands announce a tentative release date for an album.  You can bet your ass that almost 2 years later that album WILL HAVE been released.  Her we are a year and a half and more than that after he released that statement on his website and not only he hasn't released the stupid album but he barely or hasn't mentioned it since.  And you say you would be surprised if SR isn't in RB 2?  I'll be surprised if IT IS RB2.  I wouldn't be surpirzed that it isn't in the game and that they don't mention anything about this ever again.  And this is another department where Azoff has failed.  By now he sould've made Axl hire better PR people.

Hey you might be right but I just don't see it.  GNR is the king of "no comment".  So why comment on Shackler's Revenge if there's even the slightest chance that they might pull back at the last moment.  I guess you're saying they threw out that tentative release date, so now they can throw out this song and we'll never hear it or why it didn't make the cut.  Again, maybe I'm naive, but I give them more credit than that.
We seriously don't know the half of it.  I know it all seems simple to us all that the album should've been released YEARS ago, but who are we to say that?  Maybe they were close with the 2001/2002 lineup, but the departure of Buckethead curtailed things.  They didn't find a replacement till 2006, then Brain left, now possibly Robin.  It's not like everything has been smooth sailing along the way.  Like James stated before, it's gotten to the point where it's hard to market the album.  No one knows who's really in or out of the band at this point, and most of the songs feature guys no longer in the band.  GNR is not Bon Jovi, Metallica, U2, or any other big band.  I think we can agree on that.  They certainly don't go by the book, so to compare them with any other band is useless.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I don't remember the Harley Davidson thing step for step, but I never thought that was finalized by the GNR camp.  Maybe I've been brainwashed and am giving them the benefit of the doubt.  I was under the impression that the ad was supposed to be a go, and then it got leaked early and then all bets were off?  Am I wrong?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

So why comment on Shackler's Revenge

Because supposedly its launching the project, yet this band is as talkative as Helen Keller. Strange way of promoting a "mythical" album to me.

Bands don't wait until product is in stores to promote. They start months in advance of a release. No tours, no interviews, no talking, yet we are weeks away from getting this song.

Are they seriously gonna think the so called mystery will self promote this?

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

So why comment on Shackler's Revenge

Because supposedly its launching the project, yet this band is as talkative as Helen Keller. Strange way of promoting a "mythical" album to me.

Bands don't wait until product is in stores to promote. They start months in advance of a release. No tours, no interviews, no talking, yet we are weeks away from getting this song.

Are they seriously gonna think the so called mystery will self promote this?

Yeah it certainly doesn't seem like the proper way to promote.  They've seemed to have missed the boat on many opportunities over the years.  I wonder if the whole Robin situation has anything to do with it.  It's kind of tough to promote an album when you're lead guitar player is off touring with a major band for the forseeable future.  Nothing's ever easy in the world of GNR.

Board footer