You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

My test for the leaks is as follows:

Step 1: Take the 3 songs you consider "worst" off UYI 1+2 (I wont list names because one thing I know is that everyone has different concepts of what/if any the 'filler' tracks are).

Step 2: Take the 3 songs you consider "best" of the leaks. (Again..it seems there is no consensus among fans as to what this is...some love a song some hate it..so choose your own).

Step 3: Make a new verison of UYI 1+2 with the 3 tracks you selected in  step 2 substituted into the places of the tracks you picked in Step 1.

Step 4: Listen to it back. Is the new album drasticly worse or better than it was before? My guess is around about the same, and possibily better depending on how much you dislike the songs in step 1.

So what you're saying is that you think the leaks are as good as (possibly better than) the worst on UYI? Then I suppose we agree, but we do have different standards that this album (CD) has to live up to.

monkeychow wrote:

I mean old gnr is a magic that may never be repeated. But I feel the leaks show CD has a chance at being a decent stand alone album, just as in my opinion, Slash's solo work outside of GNR is descent. Whenever I hear either of them without the other I miss the other one - but they still have enough talent to survive on their own for sure smile

That's the difference between us then. I actually believe that Slash's output is of considerably higher quality than Axl's. Sure, he has the numeric advantage as well, but that's just another of Axl's shortcomings. I rank IFOCS above the UYI's, by the way, so that might indicate something about my musical tastes smile. I'm just a rock kinda guy, but I though you were too?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:

That's the difference between us then. I actually believe that Slash's output is of considerably higher quality than Axl's. Sure, he has the numeric advantage as well, but that's just another of Axl's shortcomings. I rank IFOCS above the UYI's, by the way, so that might indicate something about my musical tastes smile. I'm just a rock kinda guy, but I though you were too?

Ahh ok...i'm not sure I can really rate them against each other personally as I like them for different reasons. So I personally can't really see Axl or Slash as being of a better quality than the other - although i'll grant you Slash seems to turn on the magic far more often/easily than Axl does. But I don't really look at it as one is better than the other. Where we will agree is about how awesome Slash is. I'm always awed by him, especially live, but he stands out...even a throw-away (in the sence its routene for him to do this kind of thing) guest peformance like on the new Alice Cooper song "Vengance is Mine" is pretty damn impressive. Great outro solo!

Anyway...yeah...IFOCS is one of my favourite albums of all time. I think its head and shoulders above anything else as Slash's best guitar work to date (just my opinion). I'm not sure if i'd rank it over UYI in general in terms of the entire band (with vocals) - as that's a hard match - for one because its like 14 songs vs 30 songs. Although I think my favourites on IFOCS are better than much of UYI - but maybe not all 30 songs. Guitar wise i think snakepit has the edge...but I do miss axl's vocals and lyrics. I dig the snakepit vocals on about 1/2 of the record..but there's some tunes that i'd be lying if i didn't think would have been made better if Axl had accepted that record as GNR and added his lyrics.

I think the anti-slash ism comes mostly from people who are only familiar with VR. VR has some great songs...but slash was clearly going for a more modern style than in Snakepit 1...and i guess it wasn't for everyone.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Ahh ok...i'm not sure I can really rate them against each other personally as I like them for different reasons. So I personally can't really see Axl or Slash as being of a better quality than the other - although i'll grant you Slash seems to turn on the magic far more often/easily than Axl does. But I don't really look at it as one is better than the other. Where we will agree is about how awesome Slash is. I'm always awed by him, especially live, but he stands out...even a throw-away (in the sence its routene for him to do this kind of thing) guest peformance like on the new Alice Cooper song "Vengance is Mine" is pretty damn impressive. Great outro solo!

Anyway...yeah...IFOCS is one of my favourite albums of all time. I think its head and shoulders above anything else as Slash's best guitar work to date (just my opinion). I'm not sure if i'd rank it over UYI in general in terms of the entire band (with vocals) - as that's a hard match - for one because its like 14 songs vs 30 songs. Although I think my favourites on IFOCS are better than much of UYI - but maybe not all 30 songs. Guitar wise i think snakepit has the edge...but I do miss axl's vocals and lyrics. I dig the snakepit vocals on about 1/2 of the record..but there's some tunes that i'd be lying if i didn't think would have been made better if Axl had accepted that record as GNR and added his lyrics.

I think the anti-slash ism comes mostly from people who are only familiar with VR. VR has some great songs...but slash was clearly going for a more modern style than in Snakepit 1...and i guess it wasn't for everyone.

Just for clarity, I'm not pitting them against each other in some sort of sick celebrity death match (wait...), I just think that a lot of us who are continuously dissing Slash's work, and favoring Axl's are fooling themselves. I just wanted to give that some counter weight. I probably overcompensated as well, but I still stand firmly behind the general gist of my earlier comments.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

This is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG  shot but just imagine.  this was posted on VR's myspace page under pictures:

l_48b6062a504cba20a433d7e55dc32caa.jpg
This guy is a pretty rockin singer!!!!

EDIT:  For those that don't recognize him, thats Robert Plant.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Tommie wrote:

This is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG  shot but just imagine.  this was posted on VR's myspace page under pictures:

http://a763.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/im … c32caa.jpg
This guy is a pretty rockin singer!!!!

EDIT:  For those that don't recognize him, thats Robert Plant.

Holy Smoking Guns.........  wow.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Holy shit. That Plant-Krauss tour is gonna be wrapping up pretty soon.

They might just be poking fun at the singer search with that pic, but then again......they might not.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

16 guys relax

that shot was taken earlier this year when plant's son opened for VR in England

VELVET REVOLVER Hanging Backstage With ROBERT PLANT; Photo Available - Mar. 23, 2008 

VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum has posted the following message regarding the band's March 22 concert at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall in Wolverhampton, England:

"After the last couple of days and all the craziness, [we] had a really cool surprise: Robert Plant [LED ZEPPELIN] came into our dressing room and we had a nice sit-down with him for a least an hour. It's so weird, even though here I am playing in bands for all these years and meeting so many famous musicians and people. This was really a highlight. What a great guy. [i] have met him before when I was with THE CULT. He came to a show at Manchester Apollo. As well as last time with VR there. Tonight was just cool and more intimate, I guess. We just shot the shit. A few road stories and he told me he wrote 'Black Country Woman' about a girl that was from the area we were playing in called Wolverhampton. Wow, trivia from the man himself. His son was in the opening band and Dad was playing roadie for the night. The band is called AURA and they were young and rockin'. Very blues-based '” a lot like ZEP. Also on the bill is Scott Ian's [ANTHRAX] band with his girl Pearl, another kid of rockstar Meat Loaf. Awesome singer and great performer. Cool to hang with Scott; good friend and cool dude. So pretty cool night all in all. Got more good news from L.A. after getting on the bus on the way back to Birmingham. Mike Inez from ALICE IN CHAINS went in my new clothing store and bought one of my leather jackets. Like I said, keepin' the rock alive and very well."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/Blabbe … emID=93461

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
TheMole wrote:
madagas wrote:

outside of a few nice solos, I don't think Slash has done anything beyond mediocre since 1991.

I'm friggin' sorry, but that's the biggest bullcrap I've ever read.

I mean, IFOCS blows every Axl demo out of the water, every single one of them. My gf cringes each and every time a nuGNR demo comes up on the car stereo, literally (to quote her: "Axl's vocals are annoying and the songs are boring"). Stop pretending as if it's the best thing since sliced bread, it isn't. What the rest of the boys have put out in the mean time is miles and miles beyond what Axl has done.

See, I wouldn't mind the endless waiting if the result was any good, but none of what we've heard up until now can even hold a candle to some of Slash's songs in the past 17 years. I tried soooooo hard to like this stuff, I actually used to be an Axlite (I actually fooled myself into thinkinh Oh My God was any good), but that ship has sailed long ago.

Neither Can I, Beggars, Dime Store Rock, Take It Away, Always On The Run, Serial Killer, Landslide, Big Machine, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Get Out The Door, Messages, Don't Drop That Dime, ...

all way better that any of the nuGNR demo's. "Is it comparison time yet" was the title of a post on the GNR forum here when the three new songs leaked. I'd say no, give Axl another decade or two to stop him from looking stupid.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm growing increasingly fed up with the anti-Slash brigade on here.

Want to reword this now that we have Shackler's? 

That song blows anything Slash has done post-GNR out of the water.  Nothing VR or Snakepit have done is as good as that song.  Period.  bucket

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Saikin wrote:
TheMole wrote:
madagas wrote:

outside of a few nice solos, I don't think Slash has done anything beyond mediocre since 1991.

I'm friggin' sorry, but that's the biggest bullcrap I've ever read.

I mean, IFOCS blows every Axl demo out of the water, every single one of them. My gf cringes each and every time a nuGNR demo comes up on the car stereo, literally (to quote her: "Axl's vocals are annoying and the songs are boring"). Stop pretending as if it's the best thing since sliced bread, it isn't. What the rest of the boys have put out in the mean time is miles and miles beyond what Axl has done.

See, I wouldn't mind the endless waiting if the result was any good, but none of what we've heard up until now can even hold a candle to some of Slash's songs in the past 17 years. I tried soooooo hard to like this stuff, I actually used to be an Axlite (I actually fooled myself into thinkinh Oh My God was any good), but that ship has sailed long ago.

Neither Can I, Beggars, Dime Store Rock, Take It Away, Always On The Run, Serial Killer, Landslide, Big Machine, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Get Out The Door, Messages, Don't Drop That Dime, ...

all way better that any of the nuGNR demo's. "Is it comparison time yet" was the title of a post on the GNR forum here when the three new songs leaked. I'd say no, give Axl another decade or two to stop him from looking stupid.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm growing increasingly fed up with the anti-Slash brigade on here.

Want to reword this now that we have Shackler's? 

That song blows anything Slash has done post-GNR out of the water.  Nothing VR or Snakepit have done is as good as that song.  Period.  bucket

Wow, that's quite the rant by The Mole.  Since when did his girfriend become the dictator on what good music is?  Maybe she could clue me into what I should be listening to these days, apparently I have no idea since I think all the leaks are great.  I know this really isn't the time or the place so I'll stop right now.

I liked Contraband, Libertad didn't exceed or even reach my expectations but it was still a good album.  I thought Slash did much better work on the first album, he seemed underutilized on the second.  Maybe with a new singer they can reach new heights.  Weiland wasn't exactly a slouch though.  Not the easiest of shoes to fill, despite what the haters might say.  The guy from Spacehog?  Please!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TheMole wrote:

What the rest of the boys have put out in the mean time is miles and miles beyond what Axl has done.

Yeah, having my tapeworm abortion raped is "miles and miles" beyond anything GNR can come up with.:haha:

The post GNR resume of the "rest of the boys" is extremely dull. The songs all basically sound the same. Slash wouldn't step out of his comfort zone if he had a gun aimed at his head. You can enjoy the safe bland rock, but its not "miles and miles" above anything. In fact, its just the same old shit.

all way better that any of the nuGNR demo's.

A few stale rockers and generic ballads better than CD?? Come on. I'll be the first to admit that CD isn't breaking any new ground, but at least Axl has the balls to think a bit outside the box.

Board footer