You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Song #2 (Prostitute) is the biggest gun of all IMO

TheMole wrote:

EQ is crap on AFD. Other than that, it's absolutely perfect. A true gem.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
ibelieveinaxl wrote:

you people have no clue about this tune. it's fucking magnificent! stop bitching and hoping for an afd remake. these new tunes kill afd...:rock:

Would you like to show me a post of mine saying i want an AFD remake? 

Just because this song isn't my favorite, doesn't mean i have 'no clue'.  I know what i like and what i dont' like.  Your opinion is no better than mine.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

James Lofton wrote:
ibelieveinaxl wrote:

you people have no clue about this tune. it's fucking magnificent! stop bitching and hoping for an afd remake. these new tunes kill afd...:rock:

Care to point me in the direction of someone here wanting an AFD remake?

Just because I don't like this song has nothing to do with how much "clue" I have.

Saikin wrote:

Just because this song isn't my favorite, doesn't mean i have 'no clue'.  I know what i like and what i dont' like.  Your opinion is no better than mine.

Sigh.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

really really like the song. i get chills at the part where axl sings "i told you when i found you/ if there were doubts you/ should be careful and not afraid/ now they surround you/ (cant make out the lyrics exactly"

somebody said something about the haunting parts of this song and that really described this part perfectly for me.

if i were to look for a weakness, it would be the solos. they start off really strong but dont really have much of a direction.

I really have a lot of hope for these songs on the album. Songs like Chinese Democracy, Rhiad and the Bedouins, and IRS have all been juiced up for the better with new solos since we were first exposed to them. I wouldnt be surprised if anything else has changed for the better since these demos.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
ibelieveinaxl wrote:

Care to point me in the direction of someone here wanting an AFD remake?

Just because I don't like this song has nothing to do with how much "clue" I have.

Saikin wrote:

Sigh.

Holy shit.  Guess that's what i get for not reading page 3 of this thread before posting.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

I love this song. many others hate it or feel it's overproduced.
however on a different note I do think he says prostitute but i don't think the song is prostitute.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the lyrics overall, despite the disputed line, tend to suggest it could be called prostitute...just as the general theme of them is consistant thematicly with that. So i still think it is prostitute...however given many of Axl's new songs have similar themes and lyrical content..it could easily not be too.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

The song doesn't do it for me.  I like the buildup and some of the music during the peaks but overall it's just a very "underdone" song.  I agree with you that said it sounds unfinished.  However I don't see any finishing work that could save this song, to me it's just a bland song.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think the lyrics overall, despite the disputed line, tend to suggest it could be called prostitute...just as the general theme of them is consistant thematicly with that.

I recently remembered this:

Jeff Leeds has spoken to Splat about some '˜new' tracks he encountered during his recent investigations for his GN'R article in the NY Times. The first track, '˜Atlas Shrugged' is described as being somewhere between 70's glam rock and '˜November Rain'. - GNRWire

As for the main themes in Atlas Shrugged:

The main conflicts of the book surround the decision of the "individuals of the mind" to go on strike, refusing to contribute their inventions, art, business leadership, scientific research, or new ideas of any kind to the rest of the world. Society, they believe, hampers them by interfering with their work and underpays them by confiscating the profits and dignity they have rightfully earned. - Wikipedia

Basically, the song could be interpreted to concern an artist who abandons his principal supporters as he has grown to abhor the fortune and fame he's attained. What he's now trying to do is pull through with some sort of explanation ('a message for you'), hoping to provide sound reasons for actions that've been considered irrational and willingly harmful by the ones near him.

So it could be the disillusioned rock star lashing out on his former peers on continuously prostituting themselves. 19

Board footer