You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: "Chicken Dinner" Shackler's Revenge Leak

monkeychow wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

It also seems pretty obvious that a Top 40 station wouldn't touch this song, even if a single did chart in the Top 40.  Most of the teenage girls and thier Mom's listening to it wouldn't get into it.  Only song getting onto a top 40 station would be a ballad, and not any of the ambitious ballads we've heard so far.

I sort of agree...but then I also remember heading songs like "The Beautiful People" or "the Dope Show" from Maralin Manson (lol i can't spell today) in my top 40 in the past and that's also stuff that would confront the teenybopper radio audience - so you never know.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You're right - they will just change the station.  No need to analyze, just hit a button when a song you don't like comes on.  I guarantee you that there will be a lot of people that don't make it through the first verse.  The only chance of them listening beyond that is if they want to analyze it, otherwise they'll either change the station or think about something else until the next song comes on.

change the station? first of all, this will be played mostly on modern rock stations.  usually there is only one station like that to choose from. MOST people that listen to rock listen mostly to rock and are not gonna change the station to rap or country because they just can't make it through this short song.

secondly, how many poeople at that point are hating the song enough to change it anwyays. whether we like it or not is opinion but this song is obviously fluid enough to avoid annoying people who are rock fans but not into this particular song.

again, you have your opinion, and you are entitled to that but gnr is not trying to impress you - they are trying to impress the masses as much as possible and the people that have heard this song, excluding the really bitter and pathetic die hards that will never be impressed no matter what axl does without slash, are loving this song at about 90 percent and i am reading multiple comments from them saying how "catchy" it is and how awesome it is so i think this song will do well as a single, provided they promote it properly.

My point in every post is that this will never be a commercial success.  If it's only on modern rock stations, the album will fail.  Songs like this will never hit top 40, and therfore the album cannot rely on this song to launch it.  They need to have a song that will appeal to the masses.

GnR better be trying to impress me.  Not only have I been a fan since the first time I heard the band, despite not liking most of what I've heard so far, I'm STILL willing to give it a chance.  My musical tastes are a lot closer to the audience that you seem to think they need to attract, so if I don't like it, it's probably safe the general public's response is going to be the same.  Damn right they need to be trying to impress me.

Let me give you a big middle finger for the bolded part.  You don't know me and you don't know anything about me.  Too many fucking idiots think they know people based on what they write on the internet...you don't have a fucking clue.  Someone needs to provide balance to the people that are willing to cream all over anything Axl touches.  I provide a necessary dose of reality when it's needed.

I've been critical of everybody from Slash, Axl, and everybody in between when it's warranted.  I've also said good things about all those people when it's deserved.  Bitterness left years ago.  Reality can look pretty bitter when it doesn't agree with your point of view and won't back down.

if that last line was intended for me you need to remember that you are not the only looking at this with reality in mind. (what's realistic?) is the first thing i ask myself before i post my opinions and theories.

i am not sure why you are claiming that i said i know you and what you are about and then flicked me off but, as i said, i respect your opinion that shackler's revenge is not a good choice for a single. please respect my opinion even if it is different than yours for the act of respectfully disagreeing and even debating is good for the board.

another thought i had was that welcome to the jungle was the first release off of appetite. now, without starting an uneccesary argument over appetite vs. c.d., i'd like to point out that gnr didn't really get big til sweet child came along. gnr is making a different style of music these days, obviously, but they started with their most ballsy song and that led to the great ballad. we know how that album eventually did. my point being that shackler's revenge may be the song on the album with the most balls. if they kick the album off with it and it gains some momentum slowly but surely just to get the kids' attention they could then drop their bomb song and it would be similar that way.

in some ways gnr is starting all over again and i have been wondering lately if axl has waited to release this material for a time when people have started to forget about the old band and, more importantly, the new and younger rock fans (that haven't ever purchased any gnr cd's) are the largest majority.

in the end i don't know how much difference it will make cause they may choose to get more creative with the release than one single on rock band followed by a standard release of the album.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I think you are putting too little faith in the current radio generation. 

I could see this being a top 40 hit and being played on radio stations.  Of course it isn't going to be played on pop stations, but it will be played on rock stations and i really think it will be a hit.

I could see the video doing great on FUSE as well, assuming there is a music video.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Well, out of the songs we've heard the only realistic single options are CD, Riyadh, and Shackler. The other two songs are ancient and have always been accessible to any fans interested, so they gotta go with Shackler or a song we haven't heard yet.

lol
riyadh isn't a single james.  it's not popular among gnr fans much less casual rock fans.

deep down inside you know the difference between your own personal preferences and reality. very deep down inside. 14

Its the biggest departure from the classic GNR sound yet, and if Axl is aiming towards the future and not the past, its viable as a single.

Other than Shackler, Riyadh is the only song that doesn't scream UYI III.

I agree that it is the biggest departure from the classic sound which is why I personally think it would make the worst choice for a single. I think anyone familiar with Guns wants something that at least resembles classic GNR yet with a modern sound. I think Riyadh would get a OMG type of reaction. Plus  for me it's a largely forgettable song. Not something you'd want as a single.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Riyadh could be an awesome single. It would need to be cleaned up (mixed/mastered better) and maybe it could use a few more poppy guitar licks (which Ron could handle easy) but other than that I don't think I would be too mad if they chose it.

The song structure and ideas are great, they just need to give it a bit more edge and clean it up.

However, I think SR is definitely a better FIRST single. The first single is KEY because to the general audience its "Axl spent 15 years on this? The other singles people will enjoy if the first single is impressive enough.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

All I know is, THis song kicks the living shit out of anything else out right now. It is mean and has HUGE balls.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
machine24 wrote:

All I know is, THis song kicks the living shit out of anything else out right now.

Santogold stomps all over this track.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
machine24 wrote:

All I know is, THis song kicks the living shit out of anything else out right now. It is mean and has HUGE balls.

Fuck yeah I've been listening to it on repeat!

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I really don't mind the tune at all, I'm generally not much for the industrial stuff but all things considered, this would sound great on the album. I love the chorus where Axl sings (bolded part) "I don't believe there's no reason (I DON'T... BELIEVE!)"; I think that really brings it all together. With all the good tracks being leaked, there's no reason this album should sit on the shelf and if portions do, they may as well release an "official bootleg album" like some other artists have done because a lot of people are going to want a lot of the stuff that's been released should it not make it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't think SR will set the world on fire, but unlike what Buzz thinks, there will be a big fanbase
for this song and rockband is a good exposure to that group.

I don't see it being a failure at all. It's not going to appeal to 12 year old girls or their parents, but
I see college kids and young men digging the hell out of it.

Board footer