You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?

Von wrote:

As was said, I'm not to keen on the "Most Dangerous Band in the World" returning as a Wal-Mart exclusive. Fuck that. Fuck Wal-Mart and double-fuck Best Buy. The industry painted itself into a corner and this isn't the way to turn the best profit, it's the way to alienate customers and merchants. I will lose a lot of respect for my hero, Mr. Rose, if this were to come true. I was pissed the new Priest vinyl was a Best Buy exclusive, but at least that was only the vinyl format, not the album itself. I was pissed when the Crue jumped into bed with Best Buy (and everyone else). GN'R was supposed to mean more than all of that. This is coming from an old school, "I can't believe I'm hearing Iggy Pop in a cruise line commercial" type fan. I've come to terms with an artist struggling to make money in today's music industry by licensing out their music to certain commercial properties. As long as they were music based or music related, it didn't really bother me. Guitar Hero Aerosmith makes sense and is a blast. iPod commercials make sense, too. Wal-Mart exclusives don't. Wal-Mart is everything wrong with consumer America. A rebel, road warrior band shouldn't be butt buddies with them. Period. Not GN'R. Not ever.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

These store exclusives are lame. They are hurting the little guy to line their already overflowing pockets. Not to mention I am sure something like this has to hurt sales at least to some degree.

I'd rather see them do what Oasis is doing and bleed their hardcore fans dry by release a super deluxe version of the album. I'd bitch about the price, but I'd buy it anyway. 20

AxlsMainMan
 Rep: 1 

AxlsMainMan wrote:

I'll still buy it from Wal-Mart but I REALLY hope they go for Best Buy instead.

Wal-Mart are as crooked and corrupt as it gets.

I just can't see Axl going for Wal-Mart..

Von

Von wrote:

If you think Best Buy is that much better, you're missing the point.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am not saying I like the idea-for the record. I just see why they would do it under the circumstances. And, like James said, I am in for anything that will get Axl to release music.:thumbup: For that matter, I hate video games to and hate the fact the first release comes from a game.:headbang: but, after 14 years of waiting, I'll take what I can get.

Von

Von wrote:

But such is the industry at this point that these rhythm based, music games are the primary exposure a band receives. I'm sure people were initially turned off by the concept of an MTV (and some still are). I see them as nothing more than the next step in (interactive) music videos.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
machine24 wrote:

First week all cds are 9.99 at best buy. U cant beat that. With Amazon, after u pay the shipping on a CD, u arent saving anything and at Best Buy you get the CD the day of.

The $9.99 is actually pretty hit and miss.  If I'm getting something 1st week I'll usually go to Best Buy, because that does happen sometimes, but it doesn't happen every time.

Sky Dog wrote:

and Von, such is the industry at this point that exclusive distribution deals are made...:smile: can't talk out of both sides of your mouth!:haha:

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Haha. Perfect. You people amaze me. They are not the most dangerous band in the world anymore. Axl is pushing 50 years old. Sorry to say it but those days are over. This is the smartest move for the label and the band. They will sell BIG numbers with this kind of deal. The Eagles shifted over a million in their first week only selling in Walmart. Guess who else is doing this deal? AC/DC.

And they wont edit out words just cause of Wal-Mart.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
machine24 wrote:

First week all cds are 9.99 at best buy. U cant beat that. With Amazon, after u pay the shipping on a CD, u arent saving anything and at Best Buy you get the CD the day of.

That's why you buy $25 or higher worth of merchandise from Amazon and you get free shipping. Plus even if you pay shipping, it's around the same price as the SALES TAX that Best Buy charges (something Amazon does not do for most states). Another thing, if you are anticipating a CD, all you have to do is pre-order it from Amazon. They give you a price guarantee that if the price drops between the time you pre-order (sometimes months in advance for CD's/DVD's), they will refund your credit/debit card the amount that the price dropped. And in many cases, the initial pre-order price is a lot better than the actual price on the day the item is released. For instance, back in 2005 I pre-ordered Batman Begins 2-disc DVD months in advance at a price of $15. But by the time the thing was released, Amazon and everyone else (Wal-Mart, Best Buy) was selling it for $25-30. The cool thing about pre-ordering from them is that you'll usually get your item delivered the day it's released in retail stores. That's exactly what happened when I pre-ordered that Batman Begins DVD.

Board footer