You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?

war wrote:
machine24 wrote:

First week all cds are 9.99 at best buy. U cant beat that. With Amazon, after u pay the shipping on a CD, u arent saving anything and at Best Buy you get the CD the day of.

but it costs 5 dollars to drive to best buy
14 14 14 14 14

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
von wrote:

As was said, I'm not to keen on the "Most Dangerous Band in the World" returning as a Wal-Mart exclusive. Fuck that. Fuck Wal-Mart and double-fuck Best Buy. The industry painted itself into a corner and this isn't the way to turn the best profit, it's the way to alienate customers and merchants. I will lose a lot of respect for my hero, Mr. Rose, if this were to come true. I was pissed the new Priest vinyl was a Best Buy exclusive, but at least that was only the vinyl format, not the album itself. I was pissed when the Crue jumped into bed with Best Buy (and everyone else). GN'R was supposed to mean more than all of that. This is coming from an old school, "I can't believe I'm hearing Iggy Pop in a cruise line commercial" type fan. I've come to terms with an artist struggling to make money in today's music industry by licensing out their music to certain commercial properties. As long as they were music based or music related, it didn't really bother me. Guitar Hero Aerosmith makes sense and is a blast. iPod commercials make sense, too. Wal-Mart exclusives don't. Wal-Mart is everything wrong with consumer America. A rebel, road warrior band shouldn't be butt buddies with them. Period. Not GN'R. Not ever.

i don't think it is up to the front man of "the most dangerous band in the world" any more.

Incognito
 Rep: 0 

Incognito wrote:

Is something wrong with the chat right now or is it just me?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I'm just happy the fucking things finally approaching its release date

Hopefully i won't have to go to Asda to pick it up as there's not one around me

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

The physical album being released at Walmart has nothing to do with iTunes. If you think Chinese Democracy won't be on itunes you are mistaken.

There's nothing at all to worry about.. the album is coming out. Seriously. And to think we would only get the clean version is ridiculous

That is an incorrect assumption. Garth Brooks' music is not available on iTunes. You can only buy it at Wal-Mart.

Garth's music WAS only available at Wal-Mart. Their deal is over. Now that it is, his music is on iTunes, it wasn't prior.

I just searched for him on iTunes and his stuff is NOT on there. It's a bunch of tribute band crap. You are correct that his deal is over with Wal-Mart because Amazon has plenty of his stuff available to purchase new instead of used.

DbeDz
 Rep: 1 

DbeDz wrote:

If GNR intends to make any money off of the 'deluxe' editions of CD, they sure as Hell won't be sold at Wal*Mart - surely GNR.com will be selling these or at least point you to where they will be, right?

I'm not sure if that violates exclusivity agreements or not when bands sell their own shit, but I'm not gonna buy some neutered edition from Wal*Mart either.

The whole story kind of reeks of bullshit anyway.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You are sorely wrong DbeDz.

My father has worked there part-time for many years, and Wal-Mart is FAMOUS for doing big deluxe special limited edition box sets of their 'big' signed artists right around the holiday season. They usually push it big time on 'Black Friday' the big selling day after Thanksgiving.

Last year they had a huge 2-CD/1-DVD set of Garth Brooks greatest hits, along with a DVD of all his videos for only $11.96. They also were selling The Eagles double-disc new album for only $11.96.

If this is true, GN'R might be legitimately tying some kind of promotion into Wal-Mart and the holiday season. AC/DC is already signed up this year too. Last year they pushed Brooks & The Eagles, i'm wondering if this year will be GN'R/AC-DC and next year... someone else, etc.

Totally plausible, if true this will make GN'R, Universal & Wal-Mart ALL a TON of scratch this holiday season.

I'm just hoping it's like a 6-disc box set calling CD I-IV, GN'R-revisted (remixes), and a disc of axed songs & demos.

I hate Wal-Mart, if I got to be honest, with this music stuff - they go BIG with it.

DbeDz
 Rep: 1 

DbeDz wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

You are sorely wrong DbeDz.

My father has worked there part-time for many years, and Wal-Mart is FAMOUS for doing big deluxe special limited edition box sets of their 'big' signed artists right around the holiday season. They usually push it big time on 'Black Friday' the big selling day after Thanksgiving.

Last year they had a huge 2-CD/1-DVD set of Garth Brooks greatest hits, along with a DVD of all his videos for only $11.96. They also were selling The Eagles double-disc new album for only $11.96.

If this is true, GN'R might be legitimately tying some kind of promotion into Wal-Mart and the holiday season. AC/DC is already signed up this year too. Last year they pushed Brooks & The Eagles, i'm wondering if this year will be GN'R/AC-DC and next year... someone else, etc.

Totally plausible, if true this will make GN'R, Universal & Wal-Mart ALL a TON of scratch this holiday season.

I'm just hoping it's like a 6-disc box set calling CD I-IV, GN'R-revisted (remixes), and a disc of axed songs & demos.

I hate Wal-Mart, if I got to be honest, with this music stuff - they go BIG with it.

I just have a hard time seeing Wal*Mart having anything to do with something as niche as vinyl (in the event that Axl wants to please the super diehards with a REAL boxset - y'know just as a reward for those who have waited too damn long for this thing to just pick up next to the M&M's at the checkout counter.)  Axl wouldn't be outdone by Reznor's fancy box sets, would he?  Maybe that will follow in the months after CD release.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I see what you're saying, but it just doesn't sound like ANYTHING Axl would do. The website, even though updated far more than the old, is still a ridiculous joke. They barely update or give fans exclusive NEWS, let alone any kind of studio material for purchase.

Even when they were touring in 2006, being a member of the 'fan club mail list' was ceremonial. It meant nothing.

Board footer