You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?

James wrote:

Reznor has his finger on the pulse of the music industry. GNR is run by housekeepers and assistants.

To compare Reznor to this saga is a bit laughable.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl will outsell the last three NIN records in less than a week....pulse or no pulse.....talking worldwide sales. I am not talking artistic integrity, just pure commercial potential.:thumbup:

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Axl will outsell the last three NIN records in less than a week....pulse or no pulse.....talking worldwide sales. I am not talking artistic integrity, just pure commercial potential.:thumbup:

The Slip has been downloaded almost 2 million times since release.

Cant wait to compare CD sales to The Slip in a similar timeframe.

Sky Dog wrote:

downloads don't mean shit....cash on the barrellhead my friend. People love a freebie and I downloaded that lukewarm shit as well. Axl will make out quite nicely with an exclusive deal and it will ship over 2 million worlwide in less than a week.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

downloads don't mean shit....cash on the barrellhead my friend. People love a freebie and I downloaded that lukewarm shit as well. Axl will make out quite nicely with an exclusive deal and it will ship over 2 million worlwide in less than a week.

It'll have trouble reaching gold status first 2 months of release.

Chisel it in stone.

Hell, with whats going on at other sites with the housekeepers shitting on the fanbase, its no longer a guarantee that the hardcores buy it.

Without the hardcores full support this album goes nowhere.

They despise the fanbase, and if you think that's not gonna factor in to everything I don't know what to tell you.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

If Axl/Universal receive a heap of cash for exclusivity, more power to them. My hope is that the price of the CD is at least discounted and in store promotion appropriate for a release of this magnitude. Universal appears to want its money off the top and may not have confidence that there is enough of market to make back overhead.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

madagas wrote:

Are you including Ghosts? Or are you just talking With Teeth - Year Zero - The Slip?

WT is gold in the States (maybe platinum if they checked again), 2x Platinum in Canada, and Silver in the UK. Year Zero did not sell that well but it's almost at Gold in the US right now, and they never toured the album in the States (unlike CD, which has been toured twice in the States. even without the album 16 ). Ghosts, which is an instrumental album and therefore not comparable to a vocal one like CD, sold out its deluxe packages, making $750,000 on those alone. First week sales of Ghosts were about 1.6 million. The Slip, despite the fact it was given away freely (and complete with a booklet and lyrics), hit #13 in its first week of physical release. The Slip and Ghosts made their millions without any major label support either I might add.

CD MAY surpass those in week one in US, but the respect NIN has earned will always beat out GNRs.

Will CD be offered for free with a booklet listing performance credits, lyrics, and artwork weeks before physical release? I doubt it.

Will all the content of the bonus-disc DVD be put up on the net before release? Not with the band's consent anyways.

Will there be an extensive ARG to peak fans' curiousity and give more info about the music? Obviously not.

Will there be 4-5 different ways to purchase the album, at different prices with special incertives for collectors? Doubtful as well.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

I don't think a comparison between Trent and Axl is an effective use of time. One clearly updates his fanbase, focuses on the serendipitous proliferation of new ideas, churns out new material weeks after its creation, and even offers free sample. The only is a very introspective thinker and perfectionist who labors with small details until he believes the work is up to his standard.

Two different artists with two diametrically polar opposite styles.

And only one can have Robin Finck.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I don't think a comparison between Trent and Axl is an effective use of time. One clearly updates his fanbase, focuses on the serendipitous proliferation of new ideas, churns out new material weeks after its creation, and even offers free sample. The only is a very introspective thinker and perfectionist who labors with small details until he believes the work is up to his standard.

Two different artists with two diametrically polar opposite styles.

And only one can have Robin Finck.

I hope personally that Trent wins Robin.  Robin FITS with NIN, his style is perfect for NIN. His style in GNR for me doesnt work. Im not a fan of his guitar playing GNR wise. Its great in NIN but not in GNR.

I like the new band but I am all for a reunion. That for me would be the greatest thing ever.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Why are we comparing NIN and GNR again? Just because both have ties to Robin or because both are hard(ish) rock bands?

GNR is more comparable in style to Avenged Sevenfold than NIN on any day. Disturbed even. Someone explain this to me.

Board footer