You are not logged in. Please register or login.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

Re: one thing about AXL vs. SLASH (music)

GNRBABY wrote:

While Slash and VR are content on making straight forward rock albums, that are what we would expect from GNR members, Axl Rose is still out there experimenting and taking RISK with his music. Not unlike when UYI was conceived, Axl Rose continues to explore his craft by writing music that pushes his talents. We have to realize as fans, that this risk taking is what makes Axl so great. He is not like Vince Neil or Baz, or any other singer from his time, but rather a timeless artist, who continues to break ground with every song he writes.

Hats off to W. Axl Rose 5

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

agreed, axl has many musical talents, and he pushes the boat out to try and get the ultimate out of every song....

maybe why thats why slash couldnt cope anymore, well part of the reason, as we know slash likes to lay his stuff down and put the thing out

comparing axl to vince would just be silly in all areas tongue

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Not releasing any album for 17 years menas he's damned afraid of taking any risk, I think. Wanting to make every trend isn't too risky, too. I'm not saying that Slash is taking any risk, but he risked much more when he left GN'R, then Axl has ever done.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

Granted, but the leaks have proved axl has been working on stuff that is out of the ordinary

not releasing the album kind of defies that but, aprantly its on the way :S tongue

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

as has already been pointed out..there are going to be many schools of thought on this one

some stuff we've heard for CD kinda blows me away but other songs are pretty stale...outside the traditional GnR box? sure but slash has also gone away from his comfort zone on much of libertad

there is a counter argument for every statement some peopel even say they would prefer quality over quantity but when do we draw a line? based on the track record there is no way axl will ever come close to all slash has done since he left GnR ..thats the only thing we know for sure..and While Axl wait in hiding for much of his prime years Slash has become a music icon..and i'm almost ashamed to admit it but to the general public Axl has become a bit of a joke for constant delays, cancellations and many years of recording

ultimately, IMO, Axl needs to release CD before any comparisons can be drawn to Slash's post gnr career

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I know it doesn't always come off this way, but I have a ton of respect for Axl musically.  Some of the songs he wrote on UYI are amazing, but I've always felt that his songs are usually complex in the lyrics and the section changes, but lacking a little in the complexity of the music itself.  While Slash favors straight forward rock and roll, look at what he did with NR, Estranged, Messages (just to say he can still do it), Patience (the acoustic guitar under the vocals while simple arpeggios on the surface give a feeling of texture to the song), etc show that he can (when he wants to) adapt his style to fit a style he doesn't prefer. 

The two were gold together.  Now the leaks lack the texture the old songs have, so Axl replaces texture with layer after layer of noise.  VR lacks the guy to set the song structure, so we have simple songs that don't inspire anything (with a few exceptions on both sides - I'm painting with a very broad brush here).  It shouldn't be Axl vs Slash.  They both brought something to the table that when put together created excellence (for the most part...again, a broad brush), but seperately both are missing something to take them to the next level. 

I know this will get the BH posse up in arms and that isn't my purpose.  BH brought a lot to the new band and probably saved it from extinction, but the magic (in the leaks at least) isn't nearly what Axl and Slash created together.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Axl takes no risks. While these leaks kick ass they are not risky. The sound and styles are dated. Hell Shackler is Industrial and even now that stuff is dated. That genre of music was only new in the late nineties and early 00's. That said risk wise Slash hasn't taken that many either.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah, one argument I always field at HTGTH is:

"What has Slash done since leaving GNR"

And u know, it makes me sound Anti Axl and like a hater, but I have to ask them: "What the fuck has Axl done since Slash left"

I think people talk shit about Slash without knowing all the facts. U ARE GUNS N FUCKING ROSES and yet your singer wants to BE like other people.  Slash I think was/is way more secure with what he does,who he is and the style of music he makes whereas Axl wants to be Trent Reznor or some shit but the thing is, Trent can't come close to Axl.

I think Axl doesn't have a lot of confidence and he forgets just who the fuck he is. when u are as big as Axl Rose, u dont try to copy and do other people's styles of music. I havent heard any leak that doesn't sound like a rip of another Genre of music.

I love Shacklers but u can fucking sing Thunderkiss 65 or whatever that song is called over the music etc.

Sky Dog wrote:

To put it simply, out of all the studio quality tracks we've heard from the new band, there is not one track that I don't have some form of "issue" with. I like them and some I like a lot. However, they simply don't impress me the way SCOM, Civil War, Estranged, The Garden and Coma (to name a few favorites) did when I originally listened to those.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
madagas wrote:

To put it simply, out of all the new studio tracks we've heard from the new band (11 QUALITY studio plus Silk and CITR), there is not one track that I don't have some form of "issue" with. I like them and some I like a lot. However, they simply don't impress me the way SCOM, Civil War, Estranged, The Garden and Coma (to name a few favorites) did when I originally listened to those.

Agree. there are different kinds of music listeners though.

There are people who are more vocal/lyric oriented.
U have people who are about the beat and the music
then u got all around listeners that take everything in etc.

I am the latter.

Now if u are someone who just loves great lyrics,vocals,melodies etc. These songs are fantastic even compared to the old, lyrically, vocally, they are right there for the most part.

whats lacking is music.  I've seen some tabs for the leaks and the guitar parts minus the shredding are just ridiculously plain,bland and easy.

I was listening to my running mix again today while running and I was determined to put my finger on what exactly is wrong with the leaks.

I heard Message For You/track2 again and Estranged popped on afterwards.

With Estranged, u have so many changes, so much diversity in the music, amazing guitar fills and solos, the vocal melodies change, the style of singing changes, u have stops, u have breaks, tempo changes, the song builds..... it is epic wit so much greatness.

Message For You, weak horrible intro, piano music with simple guitar lines and orchestration thats pretty  much the same throughout followed by a solo that I like to call the CC Deville.

If u ever listen to Poison, CC is a one trick pony guitar player, he never serves a song he simply uses the solo to show off his wammy bar and speed but it ruins the tone/mood of the song.

With Track 2, the solo just doesnt fit the song and the song is the same tempo,feel, vocal, chord progression throughout.

Its almost like GNR recorded hours and hours of music and Axl went I like that on recording 22, lets paste that with recording 56 and make it work.
the songs just aren't very cohesive and they just aren't diverse like the old school stuff was.

Its like i hear people goin on about TWAT and its solo......... honestly, that solo is maybe and I do mean Maybe on par with the So Fine solo or something but if u really listen to old GNR and TWAT mixed in with old GNR, u would see that solo comes close but just falls short of truly delivering.

Board footer