You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saboteur
 Rep: 4 

Re: Velvet Revolver Settle Plagiarism Case.

Saboteur wrote:

We don't know who the next singer of Velvet Revolver will be, but he or she may want to avoid putting the Contraband song 'Dirty Little Thing' on future set lists. The band has reportedly settled a plagiarism case with U.K. rocker Tony Newton, bassist of the band Voodoo Six, that alleged VR stole the riff and melody of 'Dirty Little Thing' from Newton's own 'Cyber Babe,' which he wrote for his previous band Dirty Deeds.

'A couple of years back, a mate of mine in L.A. called me to say he'd heard what he thought was my song on the radio, and that he had been a bit shocked when he realized it was Velvet Revolver,' says Newton. 'When I checked it out myself, I genuinely couldn't believe it, because it wasn't as if it was close'¦ it was basically the same riff. Anyway, I called my publishers to check whether they knew anything '” which, of course, they didn't '” and then basically left it with them. I never really expected to hear any more about it and was as surprised as anyone when I heard that Universal had settled with Velvet Revolver.'

And what a settlement it was: Newton will receive 20 percent of all royalties from Contraband and the single dating back to 2004, plus all future royalties on the song from commercial uses, live performances, digital sales, etc. He's essentially being paid like he's a member of the band, even though he never picked up an instrument for them.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … thy-money/

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Somehow I'm sure this is Axl's fault. Or at least Scott's.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Cheap shot.  Im sure axl and scott arent without their own helping of bullshit...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Contraband will sell very few copies from this point forwards, so he better build himself a nest egg with past royalties.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Somehow I'm sure this is Axl's fault. Or at least Scott's.

Not really. It's the only song the wrote together with the Buckcherry guys tongue

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

this is a bit of a shock sad

i bet slash and duff were like "fuck it...pay the guy and move on"

but in interviews these guys always talked about writing stuff and if it sounded anythign like soemthing else they scrapped it hmm

its prolly like the RHCP/Petty thing...you can only have so many powerchord progressions

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That song really isn't that good imo. But I bet you it's never played by VR again.

It's kind of the same thing as The Rolling Stones having to pay KD Lang because of Anybody Seen My
Baby sounding almost exactly like Constant Craving.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Constant Craving kicks ten tons of ass.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

this is a bit of a shock sad

i bet slash and duff were like "fuck it...pay the guy and move on"

but in interviews these guys always talked about writing stuff and if it sounded anythign like soemthing else they scrapped it hmm

Yeah although I think they said they were always like "dump it" and scott was always like "go for it". Although maybe that's just me blaming scott. I'd say its a case of "there's only so many obvious chords on guitar" mixed maybe with "unconcious influence" where you accidently rip off something without meaning to..cos you heard it in an elevator like 10 years earlier while drinking or soemthing wink

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

20% is a lot though - considering its only 1 track on the album

Board footer