You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: you know what would be awesomebeing played live, i could se

Von wrote:

Not all of us believe it's "music from the '90s" and not all of us are as apparently down on it as you. This is exceptional material that stands a good chance, if presented in the right way, of connecting with a new audience. I'd like to know what '90s music you listened to that sounded like this, because I'm sorry I missed out on it.

Sky Dog wrote:

buzz, my point is Axl has always used influences from all decades.....saying the new Gnr music sounds like the 90's is the same as saying the old band's music sounds like stuff from the 70's....no difference. If you don't hear Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Skynrd, New York Dolls, Iggy and the Stooges, Rolling Stones influence in the old band then you obviously don't listen to anything that came out of the 70's. The original band was straight up a 70's retread act. The difference being they had great great songs and put their own original spin on things. The new band is doing the same thing but the influences are different. Got it.....

and ps, I am sick of people saying the music sounds dated or sounds like the 90's or the 80's or Queen or NIN or whatever. It is a stupid argument used by people who are just looking to cut down the band. It's real simple, you either don't like the music or you do...everything in hard rock is "dated" and has all been done before. If you think it sucks, just say it sucks and move on.

pss, I agree with you on Shackler's.....I personally don't think it will go over well. Why? Cause it is a bit abrasive and not strong enough melody wise as compared to the prior Gnr catalog.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Are you serious?  What were you listening to in the 70s, or better yet, what were you smoking when you were listening to music in the 70s?  They may have had influences that went back to the 70s (and even earlier), but they didn't sound like any of them.  If they sounded like 70s music, they'd have gotten played on MTV without any problems.

The classic version of GNR was nothing more than a ballsier and more talented Nazareth. Go listen to Hair of the Dog and Expect No Mercy, then listen to AFD.

I am sick of people saying the music sounds dated or sounds like the 90's or the 80's or Queen or NIN or whatever. It is a stupid argument used by people who are just looking to cut down the band.

So Axl is looking to cut down the band?:haha:

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The classic version of GNR was nothing more than a ballsier and more talented Nazareth. Go listen to Hair of the Dog and Expect No Mercy, then listen to AFD.

Or Aerosmith, The Stones, Stooges, Led Zeppelin etc...

Of course it doesn't sound the same. They were influenced, not copying.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, maybe he knew Finck was leaving.....and was looking for another excuse as to why some of his songs suck! Finck made him go industrial....see it's all here in a new Kurt Loder interview coming out next month in Rolling Stone....

Rose :
I originally wanted to make a traditional record or try to get back to an "Appetite [For Destruction]" thing or something, because that would have been a lot easier for me to do. I was involved in a lot of contract negotiations for Guns N' Roses so I didn't have a lot of time to try and develop a new style or re-invent myself, so I was hoping to write a traditional thing, but I was not really allowed to do that.

Loder :
What prevented you from doing, like, a traditional rock record?

Rose :
Robin.   16:laugh::thumbup:

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

madagas wrote:

buzz, my point is Axl has always used influences from all decades.....saying the new Gnr music sounds like the 90's is the same as saying the old band's music sounds like stuff from the 70's....no difference. If you don't hear Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Skynrd, New York Dolls, Iggy and the Stooges, Rolling Stones influence in the old band then you obviously don't listen to anything that came out of the 70's. The original band was straight up a 70's retread act. The difference being they had great great songs and put their own original spin on things. The new band is doing the same thing but the influences are different. Got it.....

and ps, I am sick of people saying the music sounds dated or sounds like the 90's or the 80's or Queen or NIN or whatever. It is a stupid argument used by people who are just looking to cut down the band. It's real simple, you either don't like the music or you do...everything in hard rock is "dated" and has all been done before. If you think it sucks, just say it sucks and move on.

pss, I agree with you on Shackler's.....I personally don't think it will go over well. Why? Cause it is a bit abrasive and not strong enough melody wise as compared to the prior Gnr catalog.

Usually I'm complementing them when listing an influence on the track. James may be insulting them when he mentions Simply Red, but when one of us says Riyadh is like Praxis or Shackler's is like Zombie/NIN or If The World is like Faith No More those aren't insults. Fucking great bands Axl is channeling on some tracks. Of course it's all his music. His stamp goes without saying and it doesn't need mentioning, it's the part that isn't Axl or classic Guns that needs recognizing. Obviously Faith No More wouldn't have made If The World because the parts that are Axl are distinctly Axl and could never be Patton (although he's one of the coolest vocalists ever). But that doesn't mean a it can't have a strong FNM influence and still be a great song.

Dated to me doesn't apply to the notes, licks, or lyrics of a song. Dated comes from the producing and tones of the instruments. The versions of CD songs we have, except Shackler's (probably because it's finished and the others aren't), usually sound like something that would've come out in the 90s. It's not that there are industrial synth sounds in the song, it's how high they are in the mix that make it seem dated to me. I don't know, I'm not making much sense, but maybe you get my point even without it being explained well.

Sky Dog wrote:

I gotcha....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I am most certainly not insulting Axl when I use the Simply Red label.

Board footer