You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

James wrote:

We'll pop the cherry on this with the power rankings:

The AFC South has been a pretty predictable place since the league broke into eight four-team divisions in 2002.

The Colts have been the Big Cheese, the Texans have been at the bottom, and the Titans and Jaguars have taken turns being alternately second fiddle or also-ran.

But this year has been different. The AFC South is a remarkable place in 2007, with all four teams at 3-2 or better -- and all four are in the top 10 of our fearless Power Rankings -- including our new/old No. 1, the Indianapolis Colts.

The Colts replace the Patriots (who replaced the Colts in Week 2), who will get a chance to re-earn the top spot by beating Dallas this weekend. It's all splitting hairs, really, the Colts and Patriots are more 1 and 1A than anything else. Choosing between the two is like choosing between a free trip to Paris or a free trip to Rome: they're both pretty great.

But the fact is, the Colts have three wins over Quality Opponents (Houston, Tennessee and Tampa), and have crushed two preseason favorites in New Orleans and Denver. The Patriots have yet to even play a single Quality Opponent, let alone beat one.

And while you can't choose who you play in the NFL, you can't deny that the Colts have already beaten two members of their tough division twice while the Pats have beaten nothing but Patsies.

So it's the Colts going back to the top ... for now, at least.

'¢    1. Colts (5-0)
'¢    2. Patriots (5-0)
'¢    3. Cowboys (5-0)
'¢    4. Steelers (4-1)
'¢    5. Packers (4-1)
'¢    6. Jaguars (3-1)
'¢    7. Titans (3-1)
'¢    8. Redskins (3-1)
'¢    9. Cardinals (3-2)
'¢    10. Texans (3-2)
'¢    11. Seahawks (3-2)
'¢    12. Bucs (3-2)

the rest:

13. BALTIMORE (3-2, previous rank: 15) - WR Derrick Mason is on pace for an NFL record 141 catches.

14. N.Y. GIANTS (3-2, previous rank: 14) - In his last 16 games including playoffs, WR Plaxico Burress has scored 16 touchdowns.

15. CAROLINA (3-2, previous rank: 17) - Wondering how the Panthers are winning games? They lead the NFL with a red-zone passer rating of 126.0. But now Jake Delhomme is out for the season.

16. SAN DIEGO (2-3, previous rank: 23) - TE Antonio Gates has more catches (40) than San Diego's wide receivers combined (31).

17. OAKLAND (2-2, previous rank: 18) - Just Lead The Division, Baby!

18. CLEVELAND (2-3, previous rank: 16) - Browns QB Derek Anderson has thrown at least one INT all eight of his NFL starts, and a total of 15 in those eight games.

19. DETROIT (3-2, previous rank: 11) - The Lions sure know how to lose with gusto; their two defeats in 2007 are by 35 and 31 points.

20. CHICAGO (2-3, previous rank: 27) -RB Cedric Benson is 6th in the NFL in carries (101), 18th in yards (303).

21. PHILADELPHIA (1-3, previous rank: 21) - If coach Andy Reid is really on his way out, it's no cause for Philly celebration; Reid's career winning percentage of .614 in the regular season is six-thousandths of a percentage point behind Bill Belichick's (.620).

22. SAN FRANCISCO (2-3, previous rank: 22) - QB Alex Smith has ripped off more runs of 20+ yards (2) than RB Frank Gore (1)

23. KANSAS CITY (2-3, previous rank: 19) - Chiefs netted 17 rushing touchdowns in 2006, zero in 2007

24. CINCINNATI (1-3, previous rank: 24) - Bengals with an impressive zero arrests during bye week

25. DENVER (2-3, previous rank: 20) - Broncos are the Soviet economy of the NFL: shining models of inefficiency. The Denver offense ranks No. 5 in yards, No. 24 in points scored.

26. MINNESOTA (1-3, previous rank: 26) - Rookie RB Adrian Peterson on pace for 2,196 yards from scrimmage.

27. BUFFALO (1-4, previous rank: 29) - Why are the Bills 1-4? Their defense allows an average of 10 more first downs per game than their offense generates (118 allowed, 68 made).

28. N.Y. JETS (1-4, previous rank: 28) - RB Thomas Jones is not the answer (3.3 YPA, 0 TDs)

29. ATLANTA (1-4 previous rank: 25) - Tackle Wayne Gandy had started 195 of 196 career games before being lost for the season to injury.

30. MIAMI (0-5, previous rank: 30) - The Dolphins have lost eight straight dating back to last year. Five losses were by five points or fewer.

31. ST. LOUIS (0-5, previous rank: 31) - And it gets worse: Four of next five games are on the road.

32. NEW ORLEANS (0-4, previous rank: 32) - Reggie Bush touched the ball 30 times against Carolina. The longest of the 30 went for 13 yards.

James

James wrote:

My week 6 analysis......

Looks like San Diego is attempting to save their season, although a win against the Raiders doesn't prove anything. Its a step in the right direction though. Chicago is collapsing, although at least the game was close. Cleveland wins again. That team is an anomaly, as they aren't really that good, but find ways to win. If they get a wildcard spot, its a team you do not want to play. Green Bay wins a close one against a pretty good skins team, and shows they are apparently for real. Jacksonville beats Houston, and like Cleveland are a team to watch out for this year. Like Chicago, Cincy is collapsing, while KC is trying to stay afloat in a mediocre division. Philly finds a way to win against a weak Jets team. NFC east is very competitive this year. Tampa wins again, and like Cleveland, you better watch out come the playoffs. Tampa is even more dangerous since they are in the NFC. No dominant teams to worry about. Carolina wins with Testaverde, and they are shaping up to be a surprise team as well. NE kills Dallas, and maybe the Dallas bandwagon will start to decrease in size. Also looks like the Saints are about to kill Seattle as well.

The main thing achieved this week is showing how the NFC is completely wide open this season. The Bears are a disaster, and with Seattle showing no dominance, the whole conference with the exception of the Rams has a shot at the playoffs.

The NFC needed a dominant team(or two) to be able to create a sort of totem pole to know exactly where to place teams. That didn't happen this season, and although The Packers and Cowboys are 5-1, they are by no means dominating the conference.

Its up for grabs, and I could easily see a team like Tampa, Carolina, or even Arizona going to the SB.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Big game for my Giants tonight. While just looking at W-L's, it may look like the Falcons suck, they're really not that bad. They have been in all of their games, and they have a very good defense. On the other hand, both of their starting OT's are out, so hopefully the Giants are licking their chops.

Glad to see New England beat Dallas, but man, is New England just on another level or what?!

James

James wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Glad to see New England beat Dallas, but man, is New England just on another level or what?!

They really remind me of those late 80's 49ers teams. For about 2 years, SF was unstoppable. Sure they lost a couple games, but they were untouchable. They scored at will.

If the Pats beat Indy, they're going undefeated. I haven't seen their schedule recently, but the only defense in the league that might give them trouble is Baltimore.

The pats are averaging 35-40 points a game. Every game. You cant beat a team that scores like that. Period.

They will probably have that division wrapped up by week 10 or 11. Then Belichick has a tough decision to make: Do you let this monster offense rest and reduce the risk of injury to zero, or do you let them continue their run so they dont lose any momentum?

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

^^ If they are undefeated at any point, I dont think you rest them. You keep playing until you lose. If they smother a team, sure take em out in the 2nd half. But an undefeated season is too rare to sit people. And this is a team that CAN go undefeated. I never thought the Colts could, but this team can. And they will be getting other players back soon, like Richard Seymour.

James

James wrote:

I agree they are the only legit team that can go undefeated.

Can you imagine if the Pats had a dominating rusher? While their point total might go down a touchdown or two, you could never get the offense off the field. This team having ten minute drives with huge chunks of rushing yards would be unreal.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, as good as it is to see Dallas lose, it sucks seeing NE be this good. Dallas played pretty welll too, NE is just better (unstopable). Did they even punt the ball??  NE v. Indy should be epic. Although, I remember in I think it was 1990 NYG & SF were going undefeated like 9-0. They were meeting in week 11 & what happened, they both lost in week 10. Wouldn't be surprised if that happened again to these two.

Undefeated is a possibility with these 2, but I don't think it'll ever happen again. NE team is as close as it'll probably get though (Good team adding great free agents in Moss, Stallworth, & Walker), so if it does, this will probably be the year.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

And they have friggin Dante Stallworth as a number 3 WR! Watching Brady back there, is watching perfection. He just stands so calm back there. We really need to realize that we are watching perhaps the best QB of all time in his prime.

I wonder how Maroney will be when he gets back. Sammy Morris was doing pretty good in his absence, but didnt do much yesterday, then got hurt. Dont know what his status is.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

first QB to get 3 td's per game for the first 6 cool

crazyness

see Owens pouting there? that was funny 22

fucking Chicago lost at home to the vikings eye yie yie 14

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

oh yeah i maybe getting free seats to see the bengals at the bills in November

Corporate Box Seats! 9 if it goes through that will own, and it'll be my first NFL game

Board footer