You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

Bills announced that JP will be starting against the Pats. Why? He sucked major balls against the Phins. One good game doesn't excuse 3 shitty ones, which sums up his season. He went 12 of 23 for 157 yards and a pick and was sacked twice. He also made 2 or 3 very dangerous, very stupid desperation plays that against a better team would've lead to turnovers.

I know it's mostly a problem with offensive play-calling (JP has a great deep ball, kind of, yet on most plays all 5 recievrs stayed within 15 yards. Go figure.) but JP just doesn't make plays. Trent at least tries to make things happen, and his short passes are better.

I suppose it doesn't matter who plays next week, the outcome is inevitable.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The Bills need to figure out their QB situation and just look forward to next year.  Give all their QBs some playing time the rest of the year and see what happens. While they do theoretically have a shot at the playoffs, its not happening.

Another team to look at next year is Minnesota. They are quietly building a damn good team there. Cleveland will be on the radar next year as well.

There is a list of teams that seriously need to go into rebuilding mode next year:

Bengals-This team had about a 2 year window of opportunity and they blew it. Time to start from scratch.

Ravens- Their window has closed as well, and what got them to the level they were at(their defense) is a shell of its former self. Had they had a decent offense, that team could've won a couple SBs.

Rams- Clean house from top to bottom. There is nothing worth any value on this team anymore.

Raiders- this team always seems to go into a rebuilding phase, but its time to do it again.

Bears- The window hasn't closed completely on this team, but the defense isn't what it used to be and that offense has to be COMPLETELY revamped.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

All their QBs? They have 2. Really, they started the season with two QBs on the roster. PErsonally, I'll take Trent since he's a hell of a lot cheaper and a smarter player.

Minnesota needs a quaterback, but I agree next year they should aim for the playoffs. I agree on your rebuilding teams, except that the Bears window HAS closed. They need significant turnover and still will be playing for wild cards if anything in the next several years.

James

James wrote:

Getting rid of Jones was a franchise killer for the Bears. I still don't understand why they let him get away. They do have problems, mainly the whole offense. They need a big name QB next year(McNabb is the big rumor), and they need a whole new core of WRs. Need a workhorse RB as well.

I don't even know where they should start. Its a pretty bad situation. First thing is keeping that D as stable as possible, and I would use the first round pick(will likely be a top 10-15 pick)  on a RB. Then grab the biggest free agent QB on the market(McNabb or anyone else), and start picking up WRs from the free agent market or through mid-level trades.

The window isn't closed, but I will admit it is only open a crack. What makes the Bears situation even worse is the division isn't a laughingstock like it had been for years. Favre has resurrected himself in the twilight of his career, Detroit is a legit wildcard contender, and Minnesota is building a damn good team there that will be a future contender.

Minnesota should go after McNabb. I've always hated McNabb, but in the right situation he could prosper and possibly have a few decent years left in him.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree about your teams who should cash in the rest of the season & look to next year. Bengals should consider trading Housmansannah & Chad Johnson for some decent picks. Could probably get a 1st & 3rd rounder for them.  St Louis doesn't have much to look forward to, I don't think they have a young project QB or anything. Oak should just begin letting JaMarcus Russell start. Let him get some games in for this year, and hope he starts opening day. Minnesota should also let Tavarus Jackson play, see if he's talented enough to start in the NFL, if not, look to make a trade or sign a veteran QB for next season. They really need to begin preparing to be serious contenders. Also either draft a stud OL to block for Peterson his whole career, or a playmaking LB as a bookend to build a solid offfense & defense around young stud players.

James

James wrote:

Latest NFL Power Rankings. The Colts are dropping like a ton of bricks.

'¢    1. Patriots (9-0)
'¢    2. Packers (8-1)
'¢    3. Cowboys (8-1)
'¢    4. Steelers (7-2)
'¢    5. Colts (7-2)
'¢    6. Jaguars (6-3)
'¢    7. Titans (6-3)
'¢    8. Giants (6-3)
'¢    9. Lions (6-3)
'¢    10. Bucs (5-4)
'¢    11. Chargers (5-4)
'¢    12. Seahawks (5-4)

The Rest:

13. CLEVELAND (5-4, previous rank: 11) - Browns failed in their bid to go three games over .500 for the first time since being reborn in 1999. Derek Anderson will in all likelihood be Cleveland's sixth different leading passer in six years (Couch, Holcomb, Garcia, Dilfer, Frye).

14. PHILADELPHIA (4-5, previous rank: 19) - Eagles unofficially lead the league in 'wins after the local media spends the week calling for major heads to roll.'

15. WASHINGTON (5-4, previous rank: 12) - Ageless London Fletcher (actually only 32) leads the NFL in solo tackles with 64.

16. BUFFALO (5-4, previous rank: 18) - Bills are 5-4 despite the fact that their leading sackers boasts just two QB takedowns each (Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel).

17. ARIZONA (4-5, previous rank: 23) - After a promising start, RB Edgerrin James is grinding toward another so-so season in the desert (on pace for 1,205 yards, 3.73 YPA).

18. MINNESOTA (3-6, previous rank: 16) - Before Sunday, the Vikings hadn't been shutout since their embarrassing 41-0 loss to the Giants in the 2000 NFC title game. The Vikings have a league-high 50 runs of 10+ yards, almost as many as the rest of the NFC North combined (52).

19. HOUSTON (4-5, previous rank: 20) - Team nickname is 'Texans.'

20. NEW ORLEANS (4-5, previous rank: 15) - TE Eric Johnson leads all non-RBs in percentage of balls caught; he's snagged 82.2 percent of the 45 passes thrown to him (37 catches).

21. DENVER (4-5, previous rank: 24) - Mike Shanahan's longest losing streak in 12� years coaching the Broncos is four games. He's witnessed two-game and three-game losing streaks this year.

22. ATLANTA (3-6 previous rank: 25) - Falcons may have the best-named personnel group of all time: their four tight ends are Alge Crumpler, Dwayne Blakley, Martrez Milner and Boone Stutz.

23. CHICAGO (4-5, previous rank: 26) - In addition to averaging 3.04 YPA, highly-loathed Bears RB Cedric Benson has five dropped passes (and only 16 receptions).

24. CINCINNATI (3-6, previous rank: 28) - Carson Palmer's passer rating is 134.3 from a two-WR set, 81.5 from a three-WR set.

25. KANSAS CITY (4-5, previous rank: 17) - The grind-it-out Chiefs are next-to-last in the NFL with 32 rushing first downs this season (Green Bay, 31); a full 15 percent of KC runs result in negative yardage, worst in the NFL.

26. BALTIMORE (4-5, previous rank: 21) - QB Steve McNair has lost seven fumbles despite being sacked just 11 times all season.

27. CAROLINA (4-5, previous rank: 22) - Panthers have five Quality Teams left on the schedule; they have to be excited about the Week 13 home game vs. San Francisco.

28. OAKLAND (2-7, previous rank: 27) - Raiders' offense is in the tank; 25.5 PPG before the Week 5 bye, 11.2 PPG since.

29. NEW YORK JETS (1-8, previous rank: 30) - Jets still have to play Steelers, Cowboys, Browns, Patriots and Titans.

30. ST. LOUIS (1-8, previous rank: 32) - The playoff push is on.

31. SAN FRANCISCO (2-7, previous rank: 29) - The Niners might have two wins, but those were a long time ago. At least the winless Dolphins are competitive. The Niners, who have remained mostly healthy, have lost seven in a row, five by 18 points or more; the Dolphins have suffered five losses by a single field goal.

32. MIAMI (0-9, previous rank: 31) - Despite the record, the running game keeps clicking along (Jesse Chatman 124 yards vs. Buffalo).

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Getting rid of Jones was a franchise killer for the Bears. I still don't understand why they let him get away. They do have problems, mainly the whole offense. They need a big name QB next year(McNabb is the big rumor), and they need a whole new core of WRs. Need a workhorse RB as well.

I don't even know where they should start. Its a pretty bad situation. First thing is keeping that D as stable as possible, and I would use the first round pick(will likely be a top 10-15 pick)  on a RB. Then grab the biggest free agent QB on the market(McNabb or anyone else), and start picking up WRs from the free agent market or through mid-level trades.

The window isn't closed, but I will admit it is only open a crack. What makes the Bears situation even worse is the division isn't a laughingstock like it had been for years. Favre has resurrected himself in the twilight of his career, Detroit is a legit wildcard contender, and Minnesota is building a damn good team there that will be a future contender.

Minnesota should go after McNabb. I've always hated McNabb, but in the right situation he could prosper and possibly have a few decent years left in him.

I've already said in here somewhere I'm a Bears fan, so I pay attention to such things more than most. 

Their problem is exactly what you said is what they should have done every year for the last 5.  Had they done all or most of what you just said I really think they could have had a shot at at least 2-3 superbowls and at least one win.

Given they already tried the high draft pick RB with Benson and he was a bust.  (I don't follow college so I don't know if he was the straight ahead runner that he is now then, but if he was they should have passed, you need some moves in the NFL and Benson has none)

I couldn't agree more on a somewhat high profile free agent QB, there've been a few I thought they should have tried to get, but then they took Griese.  I know they seem to have a huge hard-on for Grossman, but I really think getting someone solid there for him to watch would have helped him progress better too.

Sorry, I just had to rant for a bit.

James

James wrote:

They should talk to Plummer and if he is willing to play another year or two in the league, negotiate with Tampa for his rights. Off topic, but I was always shocked no SB contender never went after Barry Sanders after he retired. He never shut the door completely on an NFL return, just that he wasn't going to play in Detroit.

The entire NFL dropped the ball big time on the Barry Sanders situation.

Back to the Bears: They have about one or two years left to be legit contenders before a rebuilding has to take place(in a way, they're in a rebuilding phase now), and getting someone like Plummer and a good RB could get them to the SB.

The Bears have to think short term now.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

We obviously think alike.  I was a fan of Plummer for a long time, I think given the right opportunity he could be really good.  The knock a lot of people have on him is that he doesn't have the big desire to be around football constantly that a lot of the greats have (hence why so many become broadcasters even though they could live the rest of their lives on the money they made in the NFL).  Where as Plummer was more "I might play, or I'll just go sit on a beach somewhere.  Whatever."

As far as Sanders, I think (I may be wrong) there was some sort of contract issue for at least a couple years after his retirement.  He didn't want to play for the Lions, and they weren't going to let anyone else have him by releasing him, so if he came back he would've had to have been in Detroit.  So he just didn't come back.  Which is a huge shame, because he would have shattered Payton's record long before Smith.

James

James wrote:

Interesting day in the NFL. Colts barely beat the Chiefs. If the Colts do make the playoffs, it will be a first round exit. Bad loss for Pittsburgh, since they really needed this win to try and take the second seed in the playoffs, and they are guaranteed a loss to NE. They're gonna have to win the rest of their games. Cleveland is right on their ass and they are NOT going away. Its time for the league to start respecting the Browns and put them in the top 10 on the power rankings. This team just finds ways to win whether its a shootout or a close game in the final minutes. If Cleveland wins the rest of their games, they could seriously get the second seed in the playoffs.

Detroit is really fucking up at a bad time. They were almost guaranteed a wild card spot, now they are sliding.

Arizona staying in the division hunt, but Seattle beating Chicago didn't help them much. Green Bay has proven without a doubt that they are the elite of the NFC. The road to the SB will be going through Green Bay.

NFC East gets murkier. A Dallas win, Skins loss, Giants win, and an Eagles win means this division will play a huge role regarding the two wildcard spots. As I said earlier, Detroit picked a bad time to start losing.

Jags winning today was huge. That division fight is going to get ugly in a few weeks.

Tampa has for all intents and purposes won that division already. There's really nothing stopping them at this point. Even a few losses wouldn't prevent it. Falcons, Saints, and Panthers just aren't capable of going on any winning streak.

Board footer