You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

James wrote:

That Cleveland game came down to the fucking wire. They picked a bad time to lose. Cardinals are in the playoff hunt now. Broncos lost as well, and with Pit losing at the moment, looks like God is giving the Bills one last chance at making a run for the playoffs.

Bucs won without Garcia, and the Saints are officially done. Giants barely beat the Bears, but its still a win. Giants control their own destiny. If they keep winning, they are in the playoffs.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah colts squeeked out another one...is is just me or do they win every game by a fucking feild goal 16

Lions suck, bears suck, eagles suck, browns suck

James

James wrote:

Browns don't suck. That game literally came down to the last second, and I was surprised they didn't win. Browns usually win the close games like that.

Browns are going to upset somebody in the playoffs. Your comment(and many others as well) shows they are still being overlooked. They are neck deep in the playoff hunt, yet couldn't buy respect if they tried.

Their chances at winning their division dropped with that loss yesterday, but they are still dangerous entering the playoffs as a wildcard. If I am the Pats or the Colts, I am praying either the Steelers or Chargers knock the Browns out of the playoffs in the wild card round, because you do not want to play them in January. While they are not as talented as NE, Cleveland has already proven this season that they can score a ton of points in a shootout type atmosphere, which will be no fun for the Pats(or Colts).

I agree about the rest of your suck teams. Lions will most likely lose the rest of their games, and the Bears are just a huge clusterfuck. The team just continues to look worse as the season continues. I bet they are dying for the offseason to get here. Eagles aren't as bad, but they have a LOT of decisions to make in the offseason.

I cant wait for the NFL Power rankings to come out this week. I would not be surprised if the Vikings have moved way up on that list even though they are having to fight for their lives just to contend for that last wildcard spot. That team is scary, and like Cleveland, its not a team that the elite in their conference will want to play in January.

James

James wrote:

Here's the teams fighting for their divisions and wildcard spots.

AFC:

East

Pats 11-0
Bills 6-6

North

Steelers 9-3
Browns 7-5

South

Colts 10-2
Jags 8-4
Titans 7-5

West

Chargers 7-5
Broncos 5-7

NFC:

East

Cowboys 11-1
Giants 8-4

North

Packers 10-2
Lions 6-6
Vikings 6-6

South

Bucs 8-4

West

Seahawks 8-4
Cardinals 6-6

Its getting really interesting.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

AFC:

Pats 11-0 (1.000)
Colts 10-2 (0.833)
Steelers 9-3 (0.750)
Chargers 7-5 (0.583)

Jags 8-4 (0.667)
Titans 7-5 (0.583)
Browns 7-5 (0.583)
Bills 6-6 (0.500)
Broncos 5-7 (0.417)

NFC:

Cowboys 11-1 (0.917)
Packers 10-2 (0.833)
Bucs 8-4 (0.667)
Seahawks 8-4 (0.667)

Giants 8-4 (0.667)
Lions 6-6 (0.500)
Vikings 6-6  (0.500)
Cardinals 6-6  (0.500)

lookls like another 8-8 team will get in in the NFC

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Those ratings say alot, this has been another very strange season.  Just a couple of years ago the AFC West was the toughest division in the league.   A 9-7 wouldn't get you the playoffs, and a couple of seasons ago a 10-6 wasn't even enough for Kansas City.   Fast forward to this season and the Chargers are on top with a 7-5 record and even Denver at 5-7 is alive, pretty sad.  KC simply sucks.   We went from 4-3 to 4-8.  Damon Huard is an interception machine, they bench him and bring in Brody Croyle.  He does pretty good so Herm Edwards brings back D. Huard yesterday and he throws two interceptions...brilliant coaching.

The Browns are the team I would also expect to surprise somebody that faces them.  They didn't lose that game yesterday by the way, it was a bad call.  The receiver had a touchdown and he was forced out.  Problem is you can't review a force out only the catch itself so throwing a flag only proves he caught the ball, does nothing about the problem of the force out.  The NFL MUST get rid of the force out rule OR (and this is the right way to go) make it reviewable.  The Browns are one better than their record because of a bad call and would have been only a game behind Pittsburgh.

Tonight we'll see if the Ravens can do anything against NE...doubtful.  To beat NE you must have a good offense and an aggressive defense, it's the only way they will be stopped from a perfect season.

James

James wrote:

Agreed about the force out rule. Gotta change that in the offseason before it winds up effecting a playoff game in the future.

By the way, that was one of the most perfectly thrown passes I have ever seen in my life. It was the only spot to put it, and he got it there.

Yeah, tonight's game could be interesting. At least for the first few minutes. If the Pats go up 28-0(or more) in the first half, they need to sit Brady. We are in the home stretch of the season, and there's no point in risking him when its not necessary.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The Bills did not deserve that win. In fact, they haven't played well since the Bengals game. Trent did look better than JP though, so that's nice. I don't think the Bills are good enough for the playoffs, but they get to play the Dolphins at home next week... a little luck in Cleveland and they might just sneak into the playoffs.

I agree with James about Cleveland. In a playoff scenario they are the best match for NE, imo. And honestly NE seems to play better on the road than they do at home. the Colts and Jags are both good, although the Jags to me don't feel like a deep playoff team. I think given a second chance the Chargers could beat them.

The NFC... well, I don't know what to think. Every time I watch the Giants they suck but somehow they're 8-4. The Bucs might be a team to watch in the playoffs there. They haven't gotten as much publicity as deserved yet. I think they are a much better team than Seattle and could give both GB and Dallas trouble.

James

James wrote:

Some key injuries yesterday. Lions were toast anyways, but will be interesting to see NY bounce back from this.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Derrick Ward, the New York Giants' leading rusher, suffered a broken leg Sunday against the Chicago Bears and will be out indefinitely.

Ward fractured his left fibula, the thinner of the two bones extending from the knee to the ankle, in the fourth quarter of New York's 21-16 come-from-behind victory. He rushed 24 times for a career-high 154 yards.

"At this point in time it doesn't appear to be surgical, but he will be out," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Monday. When asked if he thought that meant for the rest of the season, Coughlin said, "That's the way it appears."

Ward, who is in his fourth year, leads the Giants in rushing with 602 yards despite missing the previous four games with ankle and groin injuries.

"It's tough to deal with," Ward said Sunday. "I'll bounce back from this like I bounced back from all the other ones."

Brandon Jacobs, the opening day starter who has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury, could replace Ward on Sunday at Philadelphia.

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams is expected to miss the rest of the regular season because of a sprained knee.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli announced Monday that Williams has a sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and that he will miss "several weeks." Marinelli said the injury was similar to the one sustained by cornerback Stanley Wilson in the Thanksgiving Day loss to Green Bay, after which Wilson was put on injured reserve.

Detroit also lost reserve safety LaMarcus Hicks to a broken ankle, while cornerback Travis Fisher was undergoing tests on his injured wrist.

James

James wrote:

Great article at The Sporting News about the wild card races:

Though the NFL's division races are pretty well settled, the league's four wild-card playoff berths are up for grabs. A breakdown of the top four contenders in each conference with four weeks to go.

NFC

1. Giants (8-4). Their fourth quarter comeback win Sunday in Chicago provided a two-game cushion over their closest NFC wild-card competitors. They will need it, especially with the potentially perfect Patriots looming in the season finale. The key is relying less on Eli Manning and more on the run.

2. Vikings (6-6). Splitting with Detroit was huge, and so was getting Adrian Peterson back. With Peterson's game-changing talent and a steady power running game helping young quarterback Tarvaris Jackson's confidence, this is becoming a scary team -- considering its defense is making big plays, too. The rest of the Vikes' matchups are favorable, and they also own the tiebreaker over the Giants.

3. Cardinals (6-6). After facing a tough game in Seattle, the Cards will finish with the sub.-500 trio of the Saints, Falcons and Rams. With Kurt Warner in good command of its high-powered offense, this is another team that can make noise if it gets to January.

4. Lions (6-6). Jon Kitna's prediction of 10 wins won't happen; neither will a wild-card berth. The Cowboys, Chargers and Packers make a brutal December.

AFC

1. Jaguars (8-4). They couldn't dethrone the Colts in the division, but their physical defense and efficient run-oriented offense are built for all kinds of weather. They still play the equally physical Steelers, but they should have no trouble taking care of the Panthers, Raiders and Texans.

2. Browns (7-5). Their loss at Arizona opens up the race a bit, and you can bet no AFC division winner wants to face Derek Anderson and the explosive passing game in the playoffs. Their key game is with fellow wild-card contender Buffalo on December 16, but Cleveland's offense shouldn't slow down against the Jets, Bengals or 49ers.

3. Titans (7-5). Like the Jaguars, their mental makeup -- personified by quarterback Vince Young and coach Jeff Fisher -- is made for the stretch run. The bad news: The Chargers and Colts are the bookends of Tennessee's final four games.

4. Bills (6-6). They continue to fight hard despite injuries and change at quarterback. The Bills close with Miami, Cleveland, the Giants and Philadelphia. If only they didn't have to face the Patriots twice.

Board footer