You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

NY Giants82 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

We really need to realize that we are watching perhaps the best QB of all time in his prime.

I wouldn't go that far. No one will ever touch Montana, although Brady is as close as it gets. Other than the fact Montana was a genius, every target he had to throw to was a dangerous weapon. Brady is entering a similar phase in his career, and is doing it younger than Montana did. Lets see Brady go to a team like Detroit and take them to a title game.

The main thing that will always separate Montana from the rest of the elite is he was THE clutch player. He was Michael Jordan before there ever was a Michael Jordan.

I might take heat for this, but in my opinion alot of Montana's success was due to the system he was in. Remember Steve Young took over after Montana, and SF never missed a beat. And he did have the greatest reciever of all time to throw to. Dont get me wrong, Montana's great, but I dont think he's the greatest.

Maybe I am a bit premature on Brady. But until this year, who exactly was he throwing to?

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah I am definatly glad to see the Giants turning the corner. From Week 3 on, they look like night and day compared to Week 1 and 2. Hard to believe that since 2005, Eli has found Burress the same amount as Peyton to Harrison. Tied for 1st since then.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Hard to believe that since 2005, Eli has found Burress the same amount as Peyton to Harrison. Tied for 1st since then.

Is that right?? I would have never guessed that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Take into account Young only won one SB with a team he should have won several with, and the 49ers actually missed the playoffs the season after Montana's horrible elbow injury. If the team was that good without his presence, they should have won the SB that year as it was before Dallas started dominating the league.

Had Montana been with the team, the 49ers probably would have won that 93 NFC title game, and possibly the rematch a year later.

If Bruce Smith hadn't knocked Montana out cold in the AFC title game against the Bills in 94, we would have seen a Chiefs-Cowboys SB. The guy was one game away from taking an average team to the SB.

As far as Brady's early career, only WR I remember is Deon Branch. In Montana's early career he didn't have many weapons either. Dwight Clark being the exception of course.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

NYG....i dunno if brady would be the same QB in another system either...sometimes circumstances just fall right for certain guys

James

James wrote:

Also, that team would collapse without him. If Brady shatters his collarbone next week and is out for the year, all their SB aspirations are tossed out the window. Could they still make the playoffs and maybe spoil another team's playoff run in the 1st round? Maybe. Would they go to the SB? Not a chance.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i still find it amazing that Brady was a 6th round pick !

James

James wrote:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.
----------------------------

This is the dumbest idea the NFL has had in years. While people all over the world do watch the SB, it is primarily an american sport, and the complete failure of NFL Europe is proof of that. You cant play the whole season here and then take the big game overseas.

They better just stick to preseason games overseas, and if they want to broaden their horizons, have the next expansion team be overseas. If they did do that, Europe wouldn't be a viable option. Mexico or Japan would be more suited for an NFL team.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

the Brits will prolly riot at the blasphmy of calling the sport, football 16

can you imagine? the pay like 200 pounds to watch the NFL and find out its american football and not soccer 18

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Also, that team would collapse without him. If Brady shatters his collarbone next week and is out for the year, all their SB aspirations are tossed out the window. Could they still make the playoffs and maybe spoil another team's playoff run in the 1st round? Maybe. Would they go to the SB? Not a chance.

Agreed 110%

Board footer