You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

Neemo wrote:

i dunno they were right there...their D let them down on NYG's last score

their D has always been a bit suspect, and with all the aging faces that aspect will have to be looked at for sure. Maroney is a good RB...they just dont use him enough, what they need is a second guy and they gotta be williung to go back to the run if the pass isnt working, for some reason they just kept laying it out last night...mix it up a bit more then the d-line wouldnt be so quick on the passrush

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They were "right there", but not really(you know what I mean). The game being played wasn't their kind of game. So even though it was close and gives the appearance that they are a score away from winning, they really didn't have much of a chance. They are the type of team that when taken out of their element can not function at a high level. Its why they weren't able to put up a quick 21 points at any time in the game. The game was being battled in the trenches, and 20 and 30 yd strikes don't happen during trench warfare.

You're right though--that defense is gonna need an overhaul. Belichick is gonna have to risk dismantling his dynasty in order to keep it going. The league knows how to beat them now. We might even see some changes made on that O line.

I know some Pats fans like Maroney, but he is not the RB they need. He is not consistent, and they need a "game breaker" at that position. Someone who can put up 100-140 yds a game, and also drain the clock when forced into ugly games such as this. Maroney is not that guy.

Speculation will start on Moss's future with the team. He is good, but he has not been a clutch player when they needed him to be. His stats for the playoffs have been horrific, although his great regular season might allow him one more year in NE.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Giants D should be the SB MVP. They did what had to be done to beat NE: Get in Brady's face on almost every down.

I agree, Eli finished strong, & did what needed to be done, but the NFL should have done something different this year & given it to the whole defense. That catch by Tyree was legendary, we'll still be seeing that 10-20 years from now.

Negative Karma to Belicheck, that was being a sore loser leaving early. He just didn't want to watch the Giants celebrate.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

The blueprint was shown how to beat this team weeks ago, and the Giants were the first team to actually implement it. Pats are gonna have to make some changes in the offseason(which starts today).

I think it'll be tough for the Pats to make changes. Their defense is aging (Seau, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel). I haven't heard anything about Moss, but I think Stallworth & Gaffney could play more elsewhere & might want to.  Buffalo is improving, there's alot of CB's in free agency this year, they should pick one up.  NYG proved NE is not invincible & teams like SD & Indy will be drafting aggresive D-Lineman. Cleveland might improve, Pittsburgh's a solid team. It certainly could be tough to win the AFC for any team. NFC is wiiiiiiide open. With a few good draft picks & 2 or 3 good free agents any team could win the NFC next season. & James & Jim Bob, Arizona is a good bet at 200-1?!  A damn good bet. For $20, why not.

James

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Giants D should be the SB MVP. They did what had to be done to beat NE: Get in Brady's face on almost every down.

I agree, Eli finished strong, & did what needed to be done, but the NFL should have done something different this year & given it to the whole defense.

Negative Karma to Belicheck, that was being a sore loser leaving early. He just didn't want to watch the Giants celebrate.

While I do agree with that, I think he should be given a free pass on this one. The scene was more chaotic than usual. Hell the clock kept flashing from one to two seconds for about a minute, and on top of that everyone and their mother was running on to the field at the same time.

James

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

The blueprint was shown how to beat this team weeks ago, and the Giants were the first team to actually implement it. Pats are gonna have to make some changes in the offseason(which starts today).

I think it'll be tough for the Pats to make changes. Their defense is aging (Seau, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel). I haven't heard anything about Moss, but I think Stallworth & Gaffney could play more elsewhere & might want to.  Buffalo is improving, there's alot of CB's in free agency this year, they should pick one up.  NYG proved NE is not invincible & teams like SD & Indy will be drafting aggresive D-Lineman. Cleveland might improve, Pittsburgh's a solid team. It certainly could be tough to win the AFC for any team. NFC is wiiiiiiide open. With a few good draft picks & 2 or 3 good free agents any team could win the NFC next season. & James & Jim Bob, Arizona is a good bet at 200-1?!  A damn good bet. For $20, why not.

I do agree that whatever they decide to do will not be easy. There are scenarios where that team could easily get thrown into a rebuilding mode. Which is almost comical considering how they were pretty much unstoppable most of the season.

Might be why Belichick wanted off the field so damn bad.:haha: He knows there is work to be done. He is a defensive genius. He knows his team has problems.

That Patriots D will not look the same next year.

If Stallworth goes, they are gonna have to find someone to immediately take his spot.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I haven't heard anything about Moss,

I heard earlier this week that Moss was looking for more money already. 

You can't really blame him, he did set a reception record, but not giving people those huge contracts is how the Pats have stayed good for as long as they have.

James

James wrote:

I would not be surprised if Belichick trades WAY down with that 1st round pick. They could use 3 or 4 extra low picks instead of risking the pick for one guy.

You can't really blame him, he did set a reception record, but not giving people those huge contracts is how the Pats have stayed good for as long as they have.

Someone needs to tell Moss that the only reason he is there is because they don't have to pay him large sums of money. NE's success has always rode on the fact that people are there to win and not too concerned about massive paydays. If the core of the team decides they want major compensation for their services, then this team will be on the verge of a collapse.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I think that the MVP award could have gone either way, to a member of the D line (Tuck, Umenyiora, or Strahan) or to Eli. I dont think either choice would have been wrong.

And I dont think you can really say that the Pats need get an improvement over Maroney. He had two 100 yard games in the playoffs prior to this game. The Giants just shut him down. Just like they shut Ryan Grant down, who had over 200 yards rushing the week before that against the Seahawks.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

I think that the MVP award could have gone either way, to a member of the D line (Tuck, Umenyiora, or Strahan) or to Eli. I dont think either choice would have been wrong..

As a fan of defensive football(and what a fucking great game for people like me) I think it's always too quick to be given to a QB.  I think Strahan and Umenyiora deserved it more than Manning, but that escape and pass at the end of the game might have been what was the clincher.

I would compare it to the Pats 1st superbowl in this run, Brady got the MVP, but I thought there were 2 defensive players (whose names I can't recall right now) who deserved it more.  Brady was the story though, and I think Eli is kinda that this year as he's kind of come into his own toward the end of the season.

Board footer