You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

PaSnow wrote:

The thing that bothers me the most about NE is that every team in the NFL could have prevented this. NE got Moss for something like a 4th round pick?! A 4th rd pick?! WTF, teams should've offered Oakland a 2nd rd or 2 2nd rd picks for him!!

Ok, there's a few teams that can be excluded from that. The very BADDDD teams last year Moss wouldn't want to play for (MIA, ARI, CLE, HOU etc). Also teams who already have a #1 receiver (Dallas, NYG, Cinci, DET etc). Take off Minn & OAK, and you still have 10-12 teams who should have went after him more aggresively. One team is my Eagles. But noooooo, they don't believe in him, he's a bad character person. Not a team player. Ughhhh. There's other teams, SEA, SF, NYJ, CHI who also could have had him. But it's not just him either. It's also Wes Walker (although I didn't think he was that good) and Dante Stallworth. Hell, we even had Stallworth last year AND LET HIM GO TO NE!!!! Oh well, it's serves the stupid owners of the Eagles right, they think they know everything. Our owner once said a few years ago "We were one of the elite franchises along with NE and others" (meaning Dallas). We're nowhere near those franchises. We're a team who made the SB a couple years ago & now our window of opportunity has closed shut!

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Well Indy definatly made a statement last night. If there defense can play like they did last night, man that game in a couple weeks is going to be great.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i almost puked last night when they were saying that Pats hadnt played anyone tough yet at least not the Jags caliber roll what about dallas...i'd be more scared of dallas than jacksonville

and i tell ya what i bet when the pats lose their first game of the seasn that Brady doesnt cry like Manning did a couple years ago 16

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

^^They're both great QBs, and by far the best two QBs in the league, hands down.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I think Jacksonville is better than Dallas. For the millionith time, Dallas has beaten NYG (5-2)  Miami (0-7) Chicago with Grossman (3-4, 1-3 with Grossman)  St. Louis (0-7) Buffalo who they barely beat (2-4) and now Minnesota (2-4). They lost to the Pats.

So they've had 1 quality win. This team is above average, but its stupid to say they're great when the teams theyve beaten have a combined record of 12-28 .

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I think Jacksonville is better than Dallas. For the millionith time, Dallas has beaten NYG (5-2)  Miami (0-7) Chicago with Grossman (3-4, 1-3 with Grossman)  St. Louis (0-7) Buffalo who they barely beat (2-4) and now Minnesota (2-4). They lost to the Pats.

So they've had 1 quality win. This team is above average, but its stupid to say they're great when the teams theyve beaten have a combined record of 12-28 .

Yep, an I will say this, the Giants team that Dallas played in Week 1, is MUCH different than the team they will play in a couple of weeks.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Yep, an I will say this, the Giants team that Dallas played in Week 1, is MUCH different than the team they will play in a couple of weeks.

Def. The D has woken up big time. Eli keeps on getting better and better. Should be a real good second game.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good article about the NFC.....

Call the NFC the little conference that could. Sixteen  teams chug, chug, chugging along, hoping to become the sacrificial offering for New England in Glendale, Ariz., on Feb. 3.

As the halfway mark approaches, make Dallas a solid favorite to win the conference, with the Packers and Giants right behind them.

Green Bay may be a little tarnished, but New York (five straight wins) is moving up quickly. Even Chicago has a shot to get back to where it was last season as Brian Griese morphs into the anti-Rex Grossman.

At the very least, the NFC is wide-open enough to make the rest of its season a lot more interesting than the AFC, where the order of merit seems to have been decided. In other words, everyone except Bill Belichick seems to have conceded the Vince Lombardi Trophy to the Patriots, unless they stumble over Indianapolis.

No one questions whether the AFC is better at the top, but the NFC East, with a combined record of 17-9, is one of the two best divisions in the NFL. The AFC South (16-7) is the only other division with single-digit losses.

New England's dominance also is made easier by the ineptitude of the other three teams in the AFC East, which is a combined 10-17. Until Buffalo's win Sunday over Baltimore, no AFC East team other than the 7-0 Patriots had won a game against a non-division opponent.

On the other hand, the NFC East could produce three of the six conference playoff teams: Cowboys, Giants and maybe the Redskins. Assuming New York beats 0-7 Miami in London next week, the Cowboys' Nov. 11 visit to the Meadowlands becomes the NFC's biggest game this season.

No, it's not as big as New England at Indianapolis the week before, but certainly more meaningful than the New England-Dallas "Game of the Century," which had little impact on the standings in either conference.

Here's a look at the NFC "contenders."

1. Dallas (6-1): Clearly the favorite. Dallas is the only team to lead New England in the second half of any game this season. The secondary is vulnerable: S Roy Williams remains weak in coverage and they miss CB Anthony Henry, who has the dreaded high ankle sprain, which can keep him out a long time. As long as Terrell Owens hangs on to the ball, the offense is the most explosive in the conference, and Marion Barber is an underrated running back. DT Tank Johnson will be on board for the Giants game, beefing up the run defense, although Tank and T.O. together may be a problem in waiting for coach Wade Phillips.

2. New York Giants (5-2): The Giants allowed 80 points in losses to the Cowboys and Packers the first two weeks. They have allowed four offensive touchdowns in the last 18 quarters. The pass-rushing quartet of Osi Umenyiora (8 sacks), Justin Tuck (7), Matthias Kiwanuka (4 1/2), and Michael Strahan (4) is as good as any in the last decade. Strahan said after getting 2 1/2 on Sunday: "I tend to get better as the season goes along."

Eli Manning, who has become an excellent game manager, has combined with Plaxico Burress for eight TDs, and the trio of Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and Reuben Droughns is averaging 4.8 yards a carry behind an unsung line. Hey, even the retired Tiki Barber, a certified Giants-basher, said Sunday he likes his old team.

3. Green Bay (5-1): The lack of a dependable running game '” an NFL-last 65.7 yards per game '” will continue to put pressure on Brett Favre, who in his last two starts has begun forcing things again. The defense seems to make plays at the right time, such as Charles Woodson's return of Santana Moss' fumble that beat Washington. The Pack may have to hold off Chicago to win the North.

4. Chicago (3-4): Just a guess, but Sunday's win in Philadelphia may have turned around the season. The 97-yard drive Griese orchestrated for the winning touchdown with no timeouts in the final 2 minutes is something Grossman could not have done. If the defense isn't up to last year's standards, Devin Hester is starting to become a threat at wide receiver as well as a return man (three catches for 41 yards on Sunday). They still need a running game. If they can't catch the Packers, they can compete for a wild-card spot.

5. Washington (4-2). Probably should have lost to Arizona on Sunday. How many teams win when they are outgained 364-160? On the other hand, the Redskins lost in Green Bay in a game they dominated. They have a solid defense and decent offense at times, and Jason Campbell will become a good NFL quarterback. They have to go to Foxborough on Sunday.

6. Carolina (4-2), Tampa Bay (4-3), New Orleans (2-4), Detroit (4-2). And the entire NFC West.

In some ways, the Cardinals look like the West's best team. Even with Kurt Warner playing with one arm, they almost won in Washington, and Ken Whisenhunt has them playing like no Arizona (or St. Louis or Chicago Cardinals) team in memory. Yes, they are 3-4 and trail inconsistent Seattle by a game, but they seem more solid. Still, Warner has to stay healthy and protect the ball. Recent history says he won't do either.

If David Carr can stay healthy and play close to what was once his potential (No. 1 overall pick in 2002), the Panthers can probably beat out the Bucs. Tampa's aging defense might wear down as the season moves on. The Saints have won two straight and could win a bunch more and get back in the picture if Reggie Bush plays as he did Sunday, when he was more than just an open-field threat.

The Lions give up yards and sometimes points in bunches, but are on track for their best run in the seven-season Matt Millen era. They trail the Packers by a game in the North, but, maybe because they're the Lions, they just don't seem to be a serious contender for either the division or a wild-card spot. Case in point: Detroit allowed eight touchdowns to the Eagles, who have scored just three other TDs all season.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I love how everyone doubted the Giants after the 0-2 start. The NFC is the better league IMO. More competition between teams and there is no team that is on a completely different level like the Pats and Colts are in the AFC. Makes the game more exciting to watch.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

That article about the NFC makes perfect sense to me, and it's been that way, just filling in the blanks with different teams for a while(exactly how it was in the AFC in the 80s)

I'm a Bears fan, and last year I said repeatedly during the season that there was no one in the NFC that could touch the Bears(except maybe the Saints), but there were about a half dozen in the AFC that would cream them. 

It helps illustrate the point that the Bears and Saints(Ok, the Bears kinda are, but they still look pretty shitty) are neither one in the hunt this year.

Board footer