You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: **Kevin Cogill Who Leaked 9 GnR Songs Arrested Today**

James wrote:

Again, Axl had nothing to do with Skwerl being charged.  The RIAA, FBI, and Universal did not need Axl to tell them that antiquiet.com leaked nine new GNR songs.  It was only on every major news station, news website, and radio station in the world for 48 straight hours, repeating by the hour.

14 Of course they didn't need Axl for that. Is that the direction this discussion is headed?

Since you only deal in 100% facts, can you show me the precedent set of a copyright infringement lawsuit that went forward without the consent of the owner(s) of the copyright? I'm being serious. I would like to see this precedent. Would certainly "ground" both sides of this issue in what you like to call "reality".

I suppose, though, that someone saying the world is flat is just expressing an opinion?  I say they are wrong, or insane, or, most likely both.  Axl had nothing to do with Skwerl's arrest and indictment, that happened on it's own.  Moreover, the world is round.

This case is closed if we're to the point of "the world is flat" references.:haha:

Once a federal law was broken, then the prosecutor had no choice but to proceed.  State law gives some leeway involving minor, civil type issues (bar fights, if no major injuries were observed, being one example).

Its this particular issue where both sides of the argument are pretty close. Obviously federal laws are more stringent, but this still points to my request above for the need of seeing a precedent set for this type of case if we are going to assume no involvement by the GNR camp.

I gotta tell ya, you(and others) in this thread are a class act. Able to discuss such a heated issue without resorting to forum bullshit tactics. I have read similar threads at a few other sites today, and there's mountains of bullshit to wade through to even get to a decent post.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Like I said, and like the GNR statement says, UNI wants the original tracker corraled before the real CD leaks. Use your heads guys.

Sky Dog wrote:

no, what the band says is ALWAYS a lie.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Like I said, and like the GNR statement says, UNI wants the original tracker corraled before the real CD leaks. Use your heads guys.

It certainly makes a lot of sense to me.  I don't think they would really be making such a big deal of this if CD wasn't actually being seriously close.  They are fighting harder than ever now to protect their investment, and it seems as if Universal wants to make an example of this guy to warn of anyone else leaking this album before they make profit off of it. 

In my opinion, i think it's mostly Universal's doing.  They need the money more than Axl does.  I'm willing to bet that Axl is smart with his money and has found a way where he would never have to work again the rest of his life.  So to me, it seems logical that this is all Universal really trying to protect their investment.

Sky Dog wrote:

It's even bigger than that Saiken. When te Riaa goes after somebody, they are doing it in the interests of labels and artists. This isn't a game made up by some sick Gnr fans or Dle James or Fernando or whoever. This is an industry wide ordeal like Metallica vs Napster....the downloading game is coming under serious fire.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:

It's even bigger than that Saiken. When te Riaa goes after somebody, they are doing it in the interests of labels and artists. This isn't a game made up by some sick Gnr fans or Dle James or Fernando or whoever. This is an industry wide ordeal like Metallica vs Napster....the downloading game is coming under serious fire.

Oh i agree with that, i was just giving a smaller aspect of the issue, the one directly related to Chinese Democracy. 

I agree with your post.  This is much bigger than just a guy leaking some demos from CD.  This is yet another pathetic attempt to try and stop downloading.  It didn't work with Metallica, and it won't work now.  All it did before was hurt Metallica's rep, and it will do the same for GNR if this is really pursued more.

Sky Dog wrote:

the good thing for me is that someone still considers Tommy a member of the band. Two pics in a row on the official website....gotta be worth something. I hope.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

this is actually getting interesting

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:

Oh i agree with that, i was just giving a smaller aspect of the issue, the one directly related to Chinese Democracy. 

I agree with your post.  This is much bigger than just a guy leaking some demos from CD.  This is yet another pathetic attempt to try and stop downloading.  It didn't work with Metallica, and it won't work now.  All it did before was hurt Metallica's rep, and it will do the same for GNR if this is really pursued more.

This is far less about downloading than it is about hosting unauthorized copyrighted material on a website.  Axl jokingly called us "downloading motherfuckers".  It's a little different when someone who used to work at Universal takes nine tracks and posts them on his website.

Board footer