You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: **Kevin Cogill Who Leaked 9 GnR Songs Arrested Today**

war wrote:

i agree madagas
i think this discussion has gone hypothetical on some levels
this guy isn't even the one that physically stole the 9 songs

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Perhaps this is all a show to intimidate people. I doubt much will happen to this guy anyway. Perhaps the reason that they are being so much more serious about the leaks this time around is because they actually want to have something to release to us.

Or perhaps people are just going on a power trip. They do have every legal right to move forward...however, I don't believe any good can come from making the situation any more serious than it already is...I don't think Gn'R want to be known as the band that puts its fans in jail...do you?

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

did u guys see the new post on gunsnroses.com? It basically states they want to go after the person that gave Skwerl the songs.

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article. … &fext=.jsp

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

As I remember the last few years when GN'R seemed to finally do something, everybody thought the album was in sight. In reality, their biggest actions were only smokescreens for not releasing the album. So just because they're getting active in the leaker hunting, I don't expect CD to come out.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

This really isn't anything like the Metallica case. Metallica were suing u and me and people on this forum. Random fans who were sharing old songs on Napster. GNR aren't suing all of us for discussing and DL the leaks. They are going after the guy who leaked them on his website.

Arresting one guy isn't the same as suing hundreds of fans.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Whether or not GNR is behind this doesn't matter in the long run anyway.  The headlines don't say "Man arrested for violating copyright laws."  Every one that I've seen has Guns N' Roses in the title.  When Joe Public reads something of the like, he's going to use it as another reason to hate this band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

If this goes to trial, Bumblefoot will be getting a subpoena. No doubt there. The copyright infringement claim of "distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution" goes against everything he has said since the day he joined the band. He always tells the world, "those songs are old. that ones a fan edit,etc.". Gonna be hard for an infringement case to be made on unreleased material when we have a band member saying the songs weren't intended for release. Dizzy might get a surprise as well. Claimed the Better on the HD ad was a demo and not worthy of release. Judge might like to hear the HD ad and compare it to the Skwerl leak.

I don't understand this at all.
They were being prepared - these leaks were at various stages of completion - even if they're from 2006, they're from a project that's "being prepared for commercial distribution". Those particular recordings weren't intended for release - obviously, the blance and MP3s all sound like shit because some people can't make a MP3 if their life depended on it, and the mixing levels burried Axl at some points. It doesn't matter - it's still "being prepared".The opposite of being prepared is if someone stole Axl's sex tape he made. THAT's not being prepared for commercial distribution, but he does have a copyright on it since he madeit.

The judge isn't going to ask to hear  Harley ad or any other kind of nonesese or print out forum posts.

Proof has to be shown these songs were intended for release to fall under that specific copyright infringement claim.

Where's the proof? The ten false starts? The March 6th, 2007 date that passed? Band member comments about these songs NOT being finished product?

You can bet your ass the judge is gonna want to see proof if this goes to trial, although its not going to. Its a joke. If I'm skwerl's attorney, I wouldn't even accept a plea bargain.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
faldor wrote:

Yeah I'm not buying the "they're demo's and weren't actually intended for release" excuse.  You're telling me if someone leaked a demo "November Rain" back in 1989, a song Axl had worked on for 10 years or so, that would be okay?  I think we're getting a little too picky here.  Even if they are demo's and they aren't in their finished state, the basic song structure is there.  I'm sure a lot of bands have a lot of demo's out there that nobody's heard.  Why don't we leak them all, since they're only demo's?  Especially for songs that haven't even officially been released yet.  Not sure that's the direction we want to go in.

someone did leak november rain back in 91 on a bootleg and this is axl's reaction back then...and note the date...3 months before UYI's were released

gnrontour.com wrote:

06.17.91 - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
opening act: Skid Row
set: Perfect Crime, Mr. Brownstone, Bad Obsession, Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Nightrain, I Was Only Joking [Intro] / Patience, Live And Let Die, 14 Years, November Rain, Welcome To The Jungle, Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Rocket Queen, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door
encore 1: Bad Time [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, Estranged
encore 2: Paradise City
audio/video recording?: audio, video
notes: Axl mentions how Geffen is pestering GN'R to release the new album (UYI) A.S.A.P. Axl also tells the crowd to steal the new issue of Rolling Stone magazine with them on the cover. Axl asks the crowd how many people have a bootleg of November Rain after they play it. He also says the more new songs they play the more bootleg albums they sell.

almost sounds like hes happy to piss off the label there

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Proof has to be shown these songs were intended for release to fall under that specific copyright infringement claim.

Yeah..but assuming they are ramping up a release...can't universal or whoever just pull out the finished CD master they are in the process of working on the artwork or pressing or whatever is being done and point out that X number of the same songs are on the album?

Sure the leaks are draft versions..but a judge will achnowlege that Maddy is Maddy no matter what take of the vocal track and solo hits the album. The only way one could say these songs are not intended for release is if the album came out with none of them on.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
Saikin wrote:
faldor wrote:

Alright, I misunderstood you.  But it's not anything like the Metallica case.  Metallica wanted to prevent people from downloading music that they had already released.  This is unreleased material that may not even be in its final stages, provided by a former employee of the record company.  I agree they're making an example of the guy to prevent future leaks.  That's different than making sure people can't download "Welcome to the Jungle".

It certainly isn't the same as the Metallica case, but they are similar.  Another reason they aren't the same is because i don't think it was GNR gunning to get this guy arrested. 

To be honest, i think the circumstances make this case a little more serious than Metallica's.  Like you said, Universal is trying to protect their current investment, one that hasn't even had chance to make money yet. 

The loophole, like James said, is it going to be released?  If it's not planned to be released, the case is out.

Actually, it is quite similar. What prompted the whole Napster issue was when Lars found out that two or three unfinished rough mixes of "I Disappear" had leaked out several weeks before the Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack was released. And as much of a greedy dick as he is, I can understand how he wouldn't want people to form their opinions of their new song based on an incomplete version.

Board footer