You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Another theory as to why the the ball is in the record company's hands

Abbey_Road wrote:

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Axl-Rose-1189.html

glenn says on 4/Nov/07
he left new york almost or exactly a month ago.he was here 6-8 weeks before that.long before the fires.im not sure whats going on with the cd.my educational guess,being im a music and industry expert,is that they are preparing a promotional campaign.trying to figure out best time to release,first single,track listing and order.and like i said,there was monetary issues involved.or to be settled.and he fired his management team over a year ago.so maybe he deciding what label to have it released on and have whole different team behind it.not sure.didnt really talk to him this trip.only his people.he can be moody.nothing new.usually a great guy

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He can't decide what label to release it on unless Uni drops GNR. They decide, not him. Its the one thing Axl has no control over.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

Interesting.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

here's some random thoughts/questions (which is all we have anyhow):

1. i have not been following things closely for several months, but at this point, is there any chance the record label is not happy with CD and/or in the process of rejecting it?

2. if it truly is in the record label's hands, i don't think they need to be in any rush to release it. it's money in the bank, and they need to maximize the returns.

3. did the label make alot of their money back with the release of the Greatest Hits cd??

4. record sales are way down from 6-7 years ago when Interscope was invested in this project. AND the industry is going through a transformation regarding marketing and the delivery of products.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

1. i have not been following things closely for several months, but at this point, is there any chance the record label is not happy with CD and/or in the process of rejecting it?

While it is certainly possible, I highly doubt it. At this point, I think if Axl handed Universal an album that was nothing but audio of two elephants fucking they would release it. They most likely just want this album off their books.

2. if it truly is in the record label's hands, i don't think they need to be in any rush to release it. it's money in the bank, and they need to maximize the returns.

I do agree that if they do in fact have the album in their possession, they can take a bit of time deciding how to market it.

However, this album is definitely not "money in the bank".

3. did the label make alot of their money back with the release of the Greatest Hits cd??

Yes and no. While they obviously made millions, GH goes down as a different album in the contract and has no bearing on CD. Had CD been scrapped and this been its replacement, it might be a different story.

4. record sales are way down from 6-7 years ago when Interscope was invested in this project. AND the industry is going through a transformation regarding marketing and the delivery of products.

Yeah, and this is one of the reasons the album isn't 'money in the bank'.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

Jameslofton - thanks for the replies.

by "money in the bank," i do not mean profits. i just mean that they are definitely going to have an inflow of cash from CD sales. how much they sell is the issue. and it's possible the industry could be bottoming out right now and sales will be significantly higher in 2-3 years. and if that is true, they certainly will be hesitant to release an album that they have invested so much money in.

also, the label may be trying to determine if the album has potential and if its worth putting alot of marketing $$ behind it. i don't believe (as many do) that it's a guarantee they will market the hell out of this. they may be thinking "let's cut our losses and hope the GnR name carries this thing."

and i see your point about the GH, but it is still the same company. and they probably would not have released GH if CD was ready to go. so if that is true, then you could assume that the label has made a chunk of its money back (and maybe even a profit??).

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

He can't decide what label to release it on unless Uni drops GNR. They decide, not him. Its the one thing Axl has no control over.

Exactly. I don't know who's "educated guess" this is, but it's way off if the person thinks Axl has any control over who releases this album at this point.

Yeah, I don't think this guys an "expert" 16 

If the labels had the album for some time now, I think they would have went for a Nov/Holiday release. What better time, why wait until Spring when it's possible U2 &/or Metallica could come out. With VR not doing well, a GnR released would have had it's best timing it'll see for a long time. With each passing year & season the timing just gets worse & worse. I think the label knows it's best plan is to release it asap. I don't think they're holding it up or to blame for the delay because they are "waiting to figure out what to do with it". If there's negotiations going on (Axl wants to renogotiate) that's another thing, but even then that wouldn't mean it was handed in. Every years it's the same BS with this band.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If it ever comes out, people age going to say things like "this BBF guy is amazing" before they find out it isn't him playing lead in TWAT.  That kind of thing isn't going to solidify this as Guns N' Roses.  It will sell early, but sales will drop fast if the first single isn't great.

Board footer