You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Slash's Reaction to GN'R leaker!!!!

war wrote:
sandman wrote:

This is a really stupid question at this point, but is there any chance that something recorded by the original band members could be on Chinese Democracy?

most people would say"not a chance in hell" but it's possible older stuff was reworked and re-recorded by newer members

next to impossible though

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
TheMole wrote:

I dunno. Spreading released songs on the internet is something that is bound to happen, not something they control. Spreading a pre-release leak is something that you have to take care of within your own organisation. Not mr. Skwerl should be in jail, but the guy who gave him the tracks. All skwerl did was distribute them to a wider audience, he didn't leak them - he shouldn't have had them in the first place.

Exactly, this is different then Slash stealing an album or two or a hundred off a shelf back in the 80's.  This is stealin UNRELEASED material.  That means nobody has had a chance to buy the material yet.  The band hasn't made one cent off the material and people have it already.  And yeah I know, EVERY album leaks these days.  Usually those albums have a release date though and it usually leaks right around that date, no? 

And I love how Slash gets flack because he's rich.  These artists don't need anymore money right?  I assume you've all heard Kid Rock's take on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCADfZD-eg

You see how ridiculous that line of thinking is?

war

war wrote:

the band /record label hasn't made a cent off of the album yet means what? that it's ok? and the fact that it "usually" happens closer to the release means what? the same?

a significant amount of people will not buy an album when they already have the songs downloaded.

nice kid rock vid

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If you're talking about Kid Rocks line of thinking, yeah I see.

Would I be stealing from Exxon if I discovered oil in my backyard and start using it? After all, they 'lose' the money I usually spend on gas.

Would I be stealing from Ford if I went and bought all the necessary parts and built my own car? After all, they 'lose' money by me not going through their channels.

Downloading is not stealing, it's recreating. Sure it's a hell of a lot easier than building your own car or finding oil, but it's still the same principle. You don't deprive anyone of their property. You may indirectly contribute to them making less money, but that's simply not the same thing. People can't be held accountable for the actions of others, that goes without saying in almost everything except when it comes to the entertainment industry.

Companies are out to make money, and to do that they have to calculate all expenses and make that work with the expected return. If the effects of downloading makes you loose money on a project that's your problem. Lower the costs, up the quality, do some creative marketing etc..It's not the customers fault technology suddenly made him able to get all this stuff for practically free. That's simply a biproduct of society, and it's not something that can be fixed by criminalizing 90% of the population.

It's not a god given right to be profitable, and certainly not to maintain profit. The music business used to be a major cash cow, and it still is, but it's like with the shoemaker. Where's he today? Who can he sue, progress?

Fact is the future is looking good for the musicians. Practically anyone can make an album these days and distribute it. If your music is good the word will spread and you can go on tour, license to commercials and tv shows, selling t-shirts etc. It may not be Abba or Stones money, but if you're good enough it's certainly a living above average.

The only ones losing out are the record companies and the shitty artist. Who really gives a fuck about them?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

polluxlm got a major point

war

war wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Would I be stealing from Exxon if I discovered oil in my backyard and start using it? After all, they 'lose' the money I usually spend on gas.

Would I be stealing from Ford if I went and bought all the necessary parts and built my own car? After all, they 'lose' money by me not going through their channels.

Downloading is not stealing, it's recreating. Sure it's a hell of a lot easier than building your own car or finding oil, but it's still the same principle. You don't deprive anyone of their property. You may indirectly contribute to them making less money, but that's simply not the same thing. People can't be held accountable for the actions of others, that goes without saying in almost everything except when it comes to the entertainment industry.

Companies are out to make money, and to do that they have to calculate all expenses and make that work with the expected return. If the effects of downloading makes you loose money on a project that's your problem. Lower the costs, up the quality, do some creative marketing etc..It's not the customers fault technology suddenly made him able to get all this stuff for practically free. That's simply a biproduct of society, and it's not something that can be fixed by criminalizing 90% of the population.

It's not a god given right to be profitable, and certainly not to maintain profit. The music business used to be a major cash cow, and it still is, but it's like with the shoemaker. Where's he today? Who can he sue, progress?

Fact is the future is looking good for the musicians. Practically anyone can make an album these days and distribute it. If your music is good the word will spread and you can go on tour, license to commercials and tv shows, selling t-shirts etc. It may not be Abba or Stones money, but if you're good enough it's certainly a living above average.

The only ones losing out are the record companies and the shitty artist. Who really gives a fuck about them?

buying parts and building your own car does not compare to downloading and owning free music that was stolen from the artist. the equivilent would be buying the pro tools tracks from axl and then putting them on your own cd.  downloading is not the same as recreating, not even close. you are not just paying for the file or the cd you are paying for what you are hearing and that is the most important part. creating music takes time, money, talent, and effort. if the quality is not good enough for you to buy then it is not good enough to listen to. the future is looking good for musicians as far as them not needing the record companies but stealing music affects whoever created it, not just the record lables and "shitty" musicians.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The better comparison is stealing the parts to build your own car from a place that has no interest in ever building a car, but keeps teasing you into thinking they are going to build the greatest car ever.  At some point, you stop feeling sorry for the place that will never build the car because they are almost taunting car fans with it's existence.  The line between right and wrong gets very blurry with the public when you mess with them.

war

war wrote:

lol

that's another story though

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Not quite the same.

Now buying your own equipment, starting your own band, and recording your album and becoming as popular as GNR may be stealing sales from them. 

Downloading is a whole different story as you did not create it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
war wrote:

buying parts and building your own car does not compare to downloading and owning free music that was stolen from the artist. the equivilent would be buying the pro tools tracks from axl and then putting them on your own cd.  downloading is not the same as recreating, not even close. you are not just paying for the file or the cd you are paying for what you are hearing and that is the most important part. creating music takes time, money, talent, and effort. if the quality is not good enough for you to buy then it is not good enough to listen to. the future is looking good for musicians as far as them not needing the record companies but stealing music affects whoever created it, not just the record lables and "shitty" musicians.

Not quite the same.

Now buying your own equipment, starting your own band, and recording your album and becoming as popular as GNR may be stealing sales from them.

Downloading is a whole different story as you did not create it.

Sure, it's not right in any way. But that doesn't change the fact that you run a risk when you go around trying to sell an immaterial product.

You know how musicians used to make their living? Performing for a crowd, hoping somebody would be pleased enough to pay something back, out of good will.

And now we have downloading, which is simply a more organized version of the 'buddy swapping' from the old cassette days. Hell, perhaps you'll just go to the library and get your music there. Or stream the radio. There they are, giving it all away for free already.

Thing is, this isn't about stealing or ethics. It's just suddenly the business is starting to feel the effects. So because of that we're going to start throwing consumers in jail? For something everybody with the ability has been doing for over 30 years, and with the acceptance of the industry for what, 25 of them? I don't think that's right. What this guy did was wrong, but what the fuck, streaming something that's already out there is a small fine, not jail time.

Fact is this is here to stay. All they can do is adapt. There's still plenty of money to be made, even more so some claim since more people are introduced to music than ever before. In the end all you have is a couple of wealthy companies that is looking at 5-10 years making a little less than they used to before they think up something new. Most of the employees and artists will find new jobs and livings.

Now is that worth penalizing somebody over? Especially when you consider the amount of people that actually pertains to? There's one crime here, that's the original leaker. Then you have a misdemeanor from this what-is-his-name. That's all there is. Nothing worth getting all "rot in jail" over.

Board footer