You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Interesting read on Axl, touring, albums in Slash's biography

Abbey_Road wrote:

I posted this in this section because what I have read resembles an uncanny resemblance to scenarios we've had over the past few years.

Around Chapter 8, Slash talks about the tours they did to promote AFD.

What I found intersting was this remark:

[i]"We did a mini tour after that it was something Alan booked to keep up our momentum.  We played a theater in Phoenix with TSOL and I remember that when I arrived there, everyone in our camp was happy and relieved to see me.  I was suntanned and Doug was very proud according to him he'd taken me down to Hawaii and straightened me out.  I found that pretty funny.

We did the first gig and it was fine, but the second night Axl didn't show up.  He refussed to leave his room.  I don't know how intensely Doug and Alan tried to get him out of there, and I still don't understand why he wouldn't come out but it was a serious blow to morale in my mind...."[/i]

In reading this, it seems that Axl started pulling these "no shows" after the Motley Crue tour when Guns opened for them.  It was also the time Axl was involved with Erin Everely.

Slash also makes a really good point in that he says the floodgates of dysfunction were open at this point.

Slash also goes into detail about how when they were opening for other bands, they were supposed to be promoting their record which goes to show you that they were opening for the headliners and touring with a RELEASED record and not how Guns does it now where they tour and don't have an album out.  I can understand a AFD relived tour but they called it the Chinese Democracy tour in 06 and they never had an album out.

Slash also talks about the simplicity involved in the making and recording of AFD as well as Lies.  I wonder now with the onset of technology, if CD will be way overproduced.  If Guns could throw together a kick ass album like AFD in as little time as it took them to do it, I am kinda at odds about the demise of CD now after reading Slash's book.

Also, we never did get a reason as to why Axl canceled the Philly gig.  We got one for the Portland, Maine one last year.  So maybe there is some truth to Axl not wanting to leave his hotel room afterall?

When I read this, I had Jameslofton in the back of my head because he's been spot on about this incarnation touring on the back catelog of AFD because it works.

Has anyone else read or is reading this book?  It's interesting that Axl was this way (missing shows, staying in hotel rooms and having to be coaxed out) long before 2007 and even before they were headlining.

Your thoughts?

I haven't picked up the book yet but plan to.

I don't see how posting about Axl staying in is hotel room back in 1987 is relevant to today.   One could speculate that he cancelled the Philly show because of that or because he wasn't feeling well or something pissed him off take your guess.   Everyone knows Axl cancelled shows much more back then, then he has in the past 2 years.

Interesting that they toured with AFD released and no promotion maybe the apple is falling a bit further then the tree with that said, in 2006 they were touring under CD with the notion that it was going to be released that fall but ofcourse that didn't happen and then went out in 2007 under World Tour and dropped the CD title so they ammened that.

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

My girlfriend picked up the book for me over the weekend.

Haven't made it to chapter 8 yet, but so far so good.

Slash is awesome !

bba

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Actually the droped the mid 2007 only, the tickets to the Australian Show were still sold under the CD banner. smile

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Artists, if you want to call Axl that, have always been tortured and weird and crazy. Look at all the rock frontmen who have killed themselves. We should be thankful Axl hasn't done that. Look at all the crazies. Syd Barrett, Brian Wilson.  The White Stripes just canceled a whole tour because Meg has "acute anxiety." Da Vinci cut off his ear, for chrissakes.

I guess I don't understand the whole obsession with Axl being late or not showing up. Especially 20 years into it. By now, if you buy a ticket, you know you have a chance of seeing a great show, no show, a riot or a rant.

As for Slash, his word really doesn't mean much. It's what he said, but it doesn't necessarily make it true.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Average life expectancy of rockstars is 42 in America and 35 in Europe.

Just saying, they're not your ordinary type of person.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I don't see how posting about Axl staying in is hotel room back in 1987 is relevant to today.

Because the pattern was established back then.

I really need to go buy this book.

Jameslofton wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I don't see how posting about Axl staying in is hotel room back in 1987 is relevant to today.

Because the pattern was established back then.

I really need to go buy this book.

Definitely so ofcourse it's not surprising that he did cancel a show on this tour without explaination.

I have a hard time taking anything in this book seriously tea.gif

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

I have a hard time taking anything in this book seriously http://www.misterspunky.com/faces/tea.gif

Why? While I have not read it yet, from the parts I have read none of it sounded far fetched.

Board footer