You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: New GNR vs old GNR/ GNR vs Velvet Revolver thread

monkeychow wrote:
CrashDiet wrote:

Why does even the simplest of things (like a video ,tour, or even just an update) have to be like pulling teeth?

What I don't understand is why it seemed to get worse. Like the old band had some problems like the riots and cancellations and stuff. But stuff still happneded. And I can even understand people coming and going from the band. But I don't get why now, even when there is a apparently a fresh line up keen to tour, things still don't happen. I mean when there was no bucket around or no robin, I can see a reason for some delays and silence. But why just now?

Oh well. I know i'll be ready when things do start to happen again. But I can underdtand the frustration.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
CrashDiet wrote:

I've been watching a few of my old videos.  Specifically some live shit I got of old GnR and the VR appearance on Kimmel with Cypress Hill. 

Watching these videos and reading about how active Slash is, makes you really re-evaluate how fucked the new GnR situation is.  I mean seriously, why is New GnR so fucking (for lack of a better word)...retarded?

Why does even the simplest of things (like a video ,tour, or even just an update) have to be like pulling teeth?

One word that explains the whole mess: Axl.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Perhaps whatever condition Axl has that made him seem to become more seclusive, moody and unpredictable to the people he worked with back in the heyday, has not went away as he has aged but got even worse.
He has been so sporadic with this new GNR, everything seems to come in little bursts of activity and then they just cease and all the band members just dwindle away to do solo stuff.
Then he's back and its on again, the wheel starts turning faster and things start happening and then the wheels come off once more and once again the band drifts away to do solo work. Its a never ending cycle.
I think the new guys are privy to whatever Axls problem is and sensitive and sympathetic about it, thats why they stuck around so long generally and noone he has worked with post 98 badmouths him for his erratic ways.

He says he hasnt been diagnosed bi polar, but mabye he has been diagnosed with some other neurological condition that affects his day to day life, and having that diagnosis allows people around him to be more understanding of his behaviour than they were in the days of the old band, when he didnt know what was wrong with him.
From some of his interviews then, he always seemed to seeking answers about himself, have various types of theropy, councilling etc. He made that remark about being bi polar in an interview because he had done the questionaires in one session and they said he was probably bi polar, but even when he said it in that interview, he sounded totally unconvinced in the methods used to make that diagnosis and didnt believe it was true.

"I've not been diagnosed as being bipolar though many misconstrued statements I made earlier as alluding to such..."

I think he is referring to that interview, Rolling Stone or something.

I hate playing armchair phycologist cause I dont know squat, but sometimes I think that because he had so much success in the past and made so much money, its just become too damn easy to stay for long periods in his secluded comfort zone when he needs it, and avoid the stress's, that because of his neurological make up, he  finds harder to deal with than other people do.
Less well off everyday people who are as unpredictable as that are under constant pressure and stress, bouncing around from job to job with long periods of unemployment, because they just cant function to other peoples schedules and reguarly end up getting fired or quit.
Axl doesnt have that stress, he marches to the beat of his own drum,  cause he has so much money and since he became the sole top dog in the band, it gives him ever more leash to not conform with the norm.
All this sleeping during the day shit and emerging at night is another example of him not pushing himself to leave his comfort zone.
Was it Duff who said one day he was at the studio in the middle of the night and Axl still hadnt appeared and he was like "what the fuck am I doing here in the middle of the night, I cant do this anymore, fuck it I'm going home to my family."

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah. Great post. I wouldn't be keen to diagnose either, and I hate it when people judge the artist by his art too much, but lyrics to songs like scraped at least suggest that he has periods of optimism about the band and his life and periods of less confidence. Which fits with the pattern of the band. They often return somewhat dramaticly, and then disapear for extended periods when there are compliations.

To be fair to axl also, as much flack as he cops, some of this shit would be insanely scary to do. You'd need to believe in yourself so much to be able to write an AFD and then try and contiune writing works, to front massive crowds, to attempt to change styles, to go on despite the loss of iconic players like slash or guys with skills like bucket that are 1 in 1000. I can totally understand why sometimes it would just seem too much.

Whatever the reason I hope he finds happiness as a human, he deserves it for all the pleasure he's given to thousands the world over with his music. And of course as a fan, in an ideal world hopefully he can find that peace and still peform and give us music at times, but it may not be that way I guess.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Scraped, Dont Damn Me, Breakdown, The Garden, Estranged - theres a lot of songs where Axl opens up. My favourite song is Breakdown and his line:

I've come to know the cold
I think of it as home
When there aint enough of me, to go around
I'd rather be left alone

I think it sums him up perfectly. The fact I've felt like that most of my life makes me love the song even more.

monkeychow wrote:

To be fair to axl also, as much flack as he cops, some of this shit would be insanely scary to do. You'd need to believe in yourself so much to be able to write an AFD and then try and contiune writing works, to front massive crowds, to attempt to change styles, to go on despite the loss of iconic players like slash or guys with skills like bucket that are 1 in 1000. I can totally understand why sometimes it would just seem too much.

Whatever the reason I hope he finds happiness as a human, he deserves it for all the pleasure he's given to thousands the world over with his music. And of course as a fan, in an ideal world hopefully he can find that peace and still peform and give us music at times, but it may not be that way I guess.

Oh absolutely, I'm not trivializing his problems cause he is rich and successful, it takes an incredible amount of passion, determination and courage to do what he has done.

I hope he has found peace as well, personally I got a kick out of seeing him in 2006 looking so comfortable and content on stage, he looked like he really wanted to be there. While I liked aspects of 2002 very much, Axl was a shadow of himself and didnt look completely comfortable in his own skin. The VMA performance gets ridiculed but I find it kinda sad, I see a guy dying on stage, the way his lips and voice trembles during Madagascar looks like a guy desperately trying to hold it together.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl is at the very least bipolar. He basically admitted it, then retracted it later.

My guess is that all of his "gurus" like Yoda convinced him how psychology is a pseudo-science, and don't believe it.

Only the CRAZIEST actually buy into that. Usually they're the ones in most desperate need to be in a padded room. See Tom Cruise for example.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Axl has pissed away his potential. He is now 47.5 years old and has put out one album of original material in the last 18 years. But in the grand scheme of things, it could have turned out even worse for him. I'm sure everyone here has read that story in Slash's book about how Axl jumped out of the car while Slash was driving simply because Slash tried to tell him that his parents and grandma were not happy about Axl crashing on the couch in their living room. Even way back then Axl was a complete nutcase -- jumping out of a moving vehicle for fuck's sake. The fact that he even held up long enough to put out AFD, Lies, and UYI is a miracle. And the fact that CD ever came out is even more of a miracle.

freak
 Rep: 4 

freak wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

My guess is that all of his "gurus" like Yoda convinced him how psychology is a pseudo-science, and don't believe it.

Yep. He first needs to get rid of his wack-a-loon house keeper. IIRC, it was her that led him off into all that New Age horse shit.

A couple of constants: Beta=Career collapse; New Age horse shit=Career collapse.

Anecdotes are a dime a dozen, but they are the fodder for further feeding. Lose the looser, Axl!

AtariLegend wrote:

Beta threated to shove a mike stand up someone's ass in 2006 on a "Gn'R" forum... after poster made a few accusations against Axl... that none of the other people on the forum that where there remembered.

Clearly from those few posts, we can safely draw conclussions that everyone that has left "Gn'R", the years it took to master "Chinese Democracy" and lack of album promotion was Betas fault.

tongue

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

axls a grown man make his own choices to blame beta for some how making axl do certain  things is pretty ridiculous, its easy to make accusations about people you dont actually know, im sure axl knows what he wants and doesnt sell out to other peoples ideas of what is best, love it or hate it thats reality for you.

Board footer