You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: RUMOR: Best Buy buys 3 million CD cd's upfront?

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

This rumor has been going around for a couple days now. I wonder if it lends any credit to the idea that it's 3 separate albums?

I think so. Because I don't see Best Buy purchasing 1 million per 'version' if it's just 'different artwork'.

Best Buy has to feel in their opinion that each of these versions can move a million units in their store. Only one of two things can do that. 1) Seperate album each, or 2) There's some sort of signifcant bonus that seperates each release of the same album, vastly. Like one version comes with a concert, one version comes with demos or "cutting room floor" tracks, and the other a Making Of, just for example.

And once again, don't forget the Vinyl's. They probably won't even stock those, let alone purchase a bunch of units, but I still don't see three different pressings of an one album, for vinyl, in 2008.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've never seen a Vinyl in my entire life in a Best Buy.

Honest to God.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I've never seen a Vinyl in my entire life in a Best Buy.

Honest to God.

I hadn't either until recently, they had them for Death Magnetic.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

Best buy bought 3m copies of CD from Interscope.  Why would they buy that many for one album? Their chain isnt that big and it would be like 100k albums per store which is way too many for one album but for THREE albums it makes much more sense.  Plus Axl likes to do things BIG just like UYI I and II.  Axl made a ton of songs over the past 10 years, he is going to want this to be huge, so he will swing for the fences..  Plus releasing three albums will give him a good reason why it took so long to release CD.  So I think we are def getting three albums of new material. Baz always said 4 albums are coming out and Axl was always like dont tell people that. He didnt want Baz to ruin the suprise

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

This rumor has been going around for a couple days now. I wonder if it lends any credit to the idea that it's 3 separate albums?

I think so. Because I don't see Best Buy purchasing 1 million per 'version' if it's just 'different artwork'.

Well, there are really six versions. Math would tell us that comes to 500,000 copies for each, but as Bush would say, that's "fuzzy math". There will not be 1.5 million copies on vinyl. While Vinyl has seen a resurgence these past couple years, the resurgence isn't that big. If only one CD/Vinyl was being released, I'd say from 50-100 thousand copies would be vinyl. Maybe tens of thousands more since its GNR. It all depends on Best Buy/UMG's faith in DJs and vinyl collectors. Since its three separate vinyls(different albums or artwork beside the point), I would think the vinyl copies being distributed would be a bit less, not more.

So even if we lower the total vinyl numbers to say 100,000 total, that leaves an odd number regarding the 3 discs.

One of these 'versions' is going to be showcased, with the others taking a slight step back and likely catered to the GNR hardcores(old and new).

Hopefully I got all that 'fuzzy math' right. I smoked some purple kush, and it still looks fuzzy.:haha:

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

I would think the main version of CD would the album the label deems the fans would like the best, maybe the songs that are nearest the album and, then the other two being the more industral songs

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

I would think the main version of CD would the album the label deems the fans would like the best, maybe the songs that are nearest the album and, then the other two being the more industral songs

Yeah, but you're assuming its three separate albums to lead to that conclusion. If its the the same album on all 3 versions(minus a bonus track or something), one can simply be pushed harder than the others(with more copies).

Its as simple as walking into Best Buy and going to the G section in the music aisles, seeing 20 copies of 'version 1', 15 of 'version 2', and 10 of 'version 3'.

I bet this turns into a box set around Christmas time. Some exclusive set being thrown in stores a week before Christmas.

I heard about the 3 million album advanced order on E!  They were saying Axl is a financial genius because that deal makes sure he will turn a profit on the album even if it tanks commercially.

Only downside with a mass order like that is you run the risk of following in KISS's footsteps.  In 1978 they shipped 1 million copies of each of the solo albums to guarantee they would all go platinum.  Problem was they basically flooded record stores and KISS became overexposed as a result.  In the end the solo LP's ended up in the bargain bins. 

Hopefully that won't happen with Chinese Democracy.  With $7.99 used copies of the CD available at every used music store in America for the next 30 years.  But if the deal's true my hates off to Irving and Axl for pulling it off.  Without Azoff we might NEVER have heard an official version of this album.  Because Geffen & Axl may never have been able to figure out a way to turn a profit.

Board footer