You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: Where Do We Go Now?

strat0 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so is that it? we are doomed to wait for a followup album? will we be bored of it out of the gate? will fans be content to disect every last note on the album and every word in the album booklet?

will we see a reunion? will the current band continue on and tour again with mostly new material? Will Axl stay in hiding and possibly retire? What is Robin's fate? Buckethead? Brain?

will we get to read Axl's autobiography? What will happen at the HOF induction? or will they even be inducted?

so many unknowns an possibilities

This is sort of what I meant by taking a deep breath. Some distance is gonna have to pass after the release so we can see which roads this could lead.

If massive promo is done and they start touring fairly quickly, it'll look like Axl is taking one last chance with his new era. Several possibilities there. If its extremely low key and not only Axl does little to no promo but the band doesn't either, its safe to say it was 'one and done' and Azoff is frying other fish.

Well I personally think Axl will still go with the "closer to classic gnr" thing with the first album then do the "hardcore electronica with Full on guitars"  thing he mentioned in 99.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Arcade Roses wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Most of the basis of your argument dealt around the fact that he was A List, i was simply offering a counter example for you.

Yeah: and you made some good points too.:)

But Marco Beltrami is still Marco Beltrami.  A-list producers are still A-list producers.  +There's also the fact (or rumour?) that Sarah Brightman came in to the studio to record too - and Brain is highly praised on the song; as well as highly praises the song.

Saikin wrote:

Timbaland's work with OneRepublic was abosolutely terrible.  That song they played on the radio was a huge piece of shit.

To each his own.:)

Saikin wrote:

I agree Beletrami is much more experienced and better than Timbaland, but that's not because he's a-list, but because of his experience.

Absolutely right; although don't forget one other point you and I both could make - Timberland is really 'doing the rounds' at the moment and is of course 'hot property' in the music industry.

CD would only bring Beltrami to the attention of a few more people (hey, it probably already has the GN'R community) and boost his CV.  But nonetheless, as I said earlier, he is who he is, and I am very keen to see - and am impressed by the glimpses and even very mentions of it we have heard so far - what he has brought to new GN'R's table.

That and of course the early Moby (if any of it is still around) 'sessions' - another top, brilliant producer.

The talent that has gone through Axl's revolving door - both at the mics and at the button board - is truly mind-boggling.  Take that into account when judging his work - and why a band featuring the calibre of Buckethead, Tommy Stinson, Robin Finck, Paul Huge, Brain and others, which was, in my view, the best band in the world at the time (no f**king shit), performed 'Silkworms' in front of a humbling Rio.  Remember that.

This is a band that styled itself as living and dying by the sword in many ways - and it will in 2008 as in 1988.  Perhaps even more so now given the current state of the music industry (well, world, really) and the self-inflicted wounds of the last 10 years (the most serious being the departure of BH and possibly now the departure of Finck).

AR

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Maybe it's not A-list or B-list, but whatever he wants each album "to be". Obviously Chinese Democracy has to be a good stepping off point, but it sounds like there's a lot more directions CD 2 or 3 could go based on all the kinds of songs Chinese Democracy has.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I'd be very interested to know for sure what Beletrami has done for GNR.  I just don't think that his experience allows anything he works on to be gold.  If not all the songs that he worked on are on there, then i'm sure there's good reason.

While Beletrami's parts may stand out, maybe the other ones might not so much.  Maybe Axl felt it didn't go with the theme, or maybe there was issues he had with them so decided not to use them.

When we're talking about music at this level, GNR's B-List songs are better than most of what's out there.  I think Axl really took close to all of his best material.  Of course, theme is an issue so it may not be all "a list" material.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

I heard Kris Roe did some mixing on Shacklers.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

What will happen at the HOF induction?

The part of me that slows down when I drive by car wrecks would enjoy there not being a reunion just so we can see what happens when that inevitably happens.

I don't know if a reunion is on the immediate, or short term horizon or not, but I would assume it happens before we hit the (I think) at least 4 years before that happens.

Maybe a one-off reunion?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It's going to be different, that's for sure. No more posts or threads about the waiting saga, or rumors etc.. Stupid blogs about "This guy says it's held up for this reason" or "Metalsludge said it's coming out this summer" etc.... So it'll change, myb for the better, myb for the worse.

It will be interesting to see if the album polarizes the community in any way. Will some people love it & others hate it... Will older fans love/hate it while younger fans hate/love it??  Maybe fans who've been on the boards will be disappointed & feel it wasn't worth all the wait plus the fact myb they'll sound tooo much like the leaks whereas newer fans will love it & just start getting into the band.  Will there be any correlation to it whatsoever..

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

I heard Kris Roe did some mixing on Shacklers.

Who the fuck is that?

Actually prolly the best producer around. I have his mix of Shackler's Revenge. It's almost the same musically, just with one different part. The overall mix is much better than the leaked version tho.

Board footer