You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Re: Alleged Guns N' Roses Leaker Pleads Innocent

Backslash wrote:

Just because they weren't released, doesn't mean they weren't copyrighted.  A creator of intellectual property has the right to control how the property is distributed, whether or not it's already been released for public distribution.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

but how was he to know who intellectual property it was? its never been released by anybody

he guessed guns n roses...he coulda been wrong

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
Neemo wrote:

but how was he to know who intellectual property it was? its never been released by anybody

Doesn't matter.  He knew it wasn't his own to distribute.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Ignorance of the law is no defense. It is a citizen's obligation to follow the laws no matter how asinine they are.

yeah,right,like the guy didn't know posting the songs was illegal.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

How can they be illegal to post if they're not copyrighter (which they weren't at the time).  Let's be honest here, GN'R has a long history of denying these leaks as legit, and more often than not, the fans couldn't agree if songs were legit or not.  This is the Feds trying to make an example of one person and I don't think it will hold up.  The thousands of people who have been sued over sharing Mp3s often settle for a few grand in damages.  Since this guy had no way of knowing for certain that these songs were even legit GN'R songs and they weren't copyrighted at that time, I think they're going to have a hard time charging him with copyright.

Randall Flagg

I think they're doing all of this to pressure him into narcing on whomever gave him the leaks in the first place.  if I were him, I offer to spill my guts for immunity.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Backslash wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Doesn't matter.  He knew it wasn't his own to distribute.

regardless skwerl didnt know the status of the actual "copyright" on it

intellectual property aside..there is also the broadcasting right side of things...i must admit that i really dont know much of all this stuff...but skwerl didnt offer the material for download he only streamed the songs..soemone else ripped the stream and uploaded the tracks to various file sharing sites...

in anycase wouldnt this infraction fall under broadcasting? ...i would think that they would have to act in a similar way to how radio stations are dealt with when they air material before they are instructed to

how many radio stations have played leaks? how many have internet channels? can they now go back and sue all those radio stations for all their infractions?

in any case i still think he shouldnt get anything...once he was told to stop he took the material down if i remember correctly

Randall Flagg

Sorry to keep reposting, but this really chaps my ass.  How many leaks occured before this guy?  Mike Piazza plays IRS on the radio, hell Stern even played a quality demo over the air and nothing happens to these guys.  Before Jarmo became a dick, he let people discuss the leaks on his site knowing people were sharing the songs. 

What does GN'R expect?  We are one of the most loyal and die hard fan bases that exist.  How many NSync or Backstreet boy fans would wait 17 years for a new album?  GN'R kept its fans in the dark for years, so even when someone posts an article about a missing bike, the fans freak out.  So of course when an actual song is available, the community blows a load.

Hell, Darknemsus or whatever his name is (I met him in person at Hammerstein) leaked a song and nothing happened to him.  How many songs did MSL leak and not a damn thing happened. 

The fact that they're going after one guy who was just doing what any fan here would have done pisses me off.  I know it's not GN'R directly perse, but they could easily put an end to this if they wanted to.

I love this band and will pay to buy their music and see them live; that's what fans do.  But to ruin a guys life over a situation they created is bullshit.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

like i said in my post above...he didnt offer downloads he only streamed the songs...like a radio station

Board footer