You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Roxxie
 Rep: 11 

Re: Guns N Roses manager discusses Chinese Democracy

Roxxie wrote:

The title track to Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy hits radio today, and with the album officially slated for release on Nov. 23 (through an exclusive deal with retail giant Best Buy) comes the beginning of the end to a 15-year GNR drought. But at what cost to the band's label, Interscope?

Music industry veteran Matt Pinfield, a former MTV VJ and Columbia Records VP of A&R who now hosts New York station WRXP's morning show, estimates the recording process alone easily ran in the millions. "I would imagine it's the most expensive rock record ever made," he says. But according to GNR's current manager, Azoff's Andy Gould, you can't rush the magic of rock. "Art and commerce have always made strange bedfellows," Gould tells EW.com. "When they asked Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel, they didn't say, 'Can you do it in the fourth quarter?' so they can make their numbers. Great art sometimes takes time."

Indeed, as recently as 2002, the same year singer Axl Rose closed out the MTV Video Music Awards with a surprise performance, some 300 DAT tapes sat in a studio cabinet '” bits and pieces of Rose's "masterpiece," according to an ex-Geffen Records staffer: "As the dollars got bigger and bigger, there was even greater hope [to get the album finished]. But it got to the point where that hope went over the edge, like 'This will never happen.'"

Pinfield says, "Working on records at Columbia, I'd come across people coming off the project or going on, and they would say that Axl was just taking his time '” that he wasn't satisfied with certain things."

With less than a month to go until fans can judge the final product for themselves (pending approval of the album's artwork, which, Gould hinted, could have its own complications), the anticipation '” and pressure '” is most certainly high, especially considering early predictions that AC/DC's new album, Black Ice, could top 250,000 in first-week sales. "Rock music has always been strong when there's turmoil and unrest," offers Pinfield, "whether it's the voice of reason, an accompaniment to what's going on or a form of escapism. And look at the situation we're in now with the economy and the world. The game has changed, with artists like AC/DC selling through Wal-Mart and Guns at Best Buy, but Chinese Democracy, without a question, will be a No. 1 record."

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/10/gnr-manager.html

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I went ahead and split that post into a new topic as it would get buried in the CD single discussion.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Roxxie wrote:

pending approval of the album's artwork, which, Gould hinted, could have its own complications)

Now we know why GNR will not confirm this yet.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Hmm trouble with the artwork doesn't bode well.. Prob something to do with the b cover being pulled from bestbuy today

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I'm not surprised about the problems with the cover.  I'll bet the different versions were the work of an overeager manager.  I'm sure Axl has one specific cover he wants to use.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Big Gun
 Rep: 11 

Big Gun wrote:

so whats he saying is that different covers will have different tracklist?

nevermind the above misread complication for compilation 16

andy gould has to do better than comparing cd to sistine chapel. i wish they were more honest about it, if they did they would get more respect. where is the rock n roll attitude that del james is preaching to us?
beatles carer didnt last that long and some of the great rock albums were written in someones bedroom/garage.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Arcade Roses wrote:

Someone who claimed he had 'insights' into the band (I don't know how true he was - his name was Brett Meisner or something) claimed that the massive 2006 delay was caused to artwork.

Merck's letter though (and I believe him (this was IMHV one thing he was actually right on)) said this was not the case.

Either way... as always, no idea who to believe.  Just throwing that out there.

Just funny you should mention this now - however debatable 'Meisner''s info may have been.

AR

Sky Dog wrote:

In any case, I hope it isn't the bicycle cover! and why the fuck wasn't this issue resolved YEARS ago?:flame:

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

Maybe this will have to be the GN'R "White Album" if there is an art dispute.

Board footer