You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Kudos to Bumblefoot

James wrote:

While I have always been one of the biggest skeptics since his arrival, I can certainly give credit where its due. So far, he has elevated each track he has contributed to.

I think the lack of promotion for the band was truly a disservice to him and played a huge role in quite a bit of the anti-Ron sentiment over the past couple years. He was just assumed to be Bucket's replacement since he was the person who could come close to replicating his material. Now that we are on the verge of the album's release, we see that he brought other things to the table. He's sort of like the 'Jack of all trades' of the CD sessions.

If there's any current member who deserves major success from this release, its Bumblefoot. His friendly and outgoing attitude towards GNR fans will never be matched, and he did what we all thought was pretty much impossible.....improved the material.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'll agree with how much of a good guy he is and how awesome he is with the fans, but just from my perspective, he kind of ruined Chinese Democrcay for me. I don't think his playing meshes with the band at all. But this could be more of Axl's fault than his. Axl was producer.....

I do like the song much more than I did yesterday, but it's still nowhere near as good as it was before. I don't know, maybe it will grow on me.

I'm still interested in seeing how his contributions impact the other songs and I'm optimistic. But I'm rrrrreally interested in the rest of the pre-bumble demos.

I'm not trying to be negative, its just going to take me longer to get into the music than I thought. Maybe because I grew attached with the demos. And maybe my opinion will completely change after the album is released smile

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:

Whoa, James, you feeling ok? big_smile

I've always thought that because of your passion for Buckethead, you've never really given BBF a fair chance.  Glad to see you looking at it a bit more objectively now.

You made some great points there.  Based on interviews and such, it never sounded to me like BBF intended to replace Bucket.  I've always thought he was just adding his own touches - in one interview he mentioned adding "sleaze guitar."  Seems to me that this is just what CD needed.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'll agree with how much of a good guy he is and how awesome he is with the fans, but just from my perspective, he kind of ruined Chinese Democrcay for me. I don't think his playing meshes with the band at all. But this could be more of Axl's fault than his. Axl was producer.....

Well I don't think he can hold Bucket's jockstrap either, but its sort of drifted from that perspective. At least for me anyways. I don't think he 'ruined' Chinese Democracy, but I can see why people would think that. He walked into the game with a minute left in the 4th quarter and gets to celebrate the victory. Plus, we were used to hearing these songs a certain way, and then all of a sudden they have some changes.

CD has always been one of my favorite songs, but it always needed something extra. He had the capability to walk in there and figure out what it needed. He probably could have redid that Bucket solo completely. Instead it remains intact while he adds what he would call 'sleaze' to the track. I remember back when he said that and it was almost vomit inducing and I dreaded the thought of his manufactured sleaze, but it actually works. Will it work on the other tracks? That remains to be seen.

But I'm rrrrreally interested in the rest of the pre-bumble demos.

So am I.

bucket

Whoa, James, you feeling ok? big_smile

14 Yeah, I have bitched quite often regarding his BH replications and his solo material that I've heard wasn't impressive. Its the main reason why I always avoided the chat sessions he has done with us a few times(here and the old site). Went in once and asked him a question, but other than that, nothing. Not because of any perceived dislike, but more out of respect. Better for him to mingle with fans that do like him and not have to deal with a possible Bucket brigade forming while he's in the room. 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

yeah, his contribution to the title track really makes the song more solid and complete....well done dude...

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Hear hear James,

None too late to give some credit to Ron, as last I checked, he's still in the band. Guess it's one of those things; Bucket was asked to fill in for Slash and that caused an outcry, now Ron was to step in for Bucket... The good thing is, both Axl and Ron obviously have a huge respect for Bucket's existing work and Ron merely worked his around it, complimenting it and adding further texture to the song(s). And that's the way you do it with a guitar god like Bucket.

The guitar phalanx Robin (lead) - Ron (rhythm) - Bucket (lead) would actually sound killer live, as I believe Ron could make a good deal out of the pocket the others'd put him into. He's versatile enough to be the most technically skilled guitarist of the current lineup, but he doesn't seem to have that many ego problems surrounding the whole gig.

Robin and Bucket are both so distinguishable on their own right that if they'd have someone like Ron rolling out the red carpet, the live sound could be richer than you could imagine.

Sky Dog wrote:

I was thinking that too. Bucket and Ron could actually work as proven by this song.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i've always felt that he would bring a cool dimension to GnR...up the ante a bit if you will 9

chicken_dinner
 Rep: 19 

bumble couldnt hold buckets guitar pick even if his life depended on it.

on some forums people started threads praising bumble after hearing cd....but people seem to have forgotten that 95% of the solos and fills are buckethead....just the rhythm during the verses is bumble, he said himself on his site. and its just straight forward stuff following the riffs someone else wrote.

of course the people who start those threads usually are the spammers from the bumble forums, who bump every bumble thread with some asslicking, especially if it concerns selling his fairly boring solo album.

they say stuff like, everyone liked the shackler solo or the tapping in the end....uuuh, no, majority hates them, gnr fans or otherwise...and many knew it was bumble from the start, bucket would never record rubbish like that.

bucket was the best guitarist gnr had and thats why axl tried up until the last moment to get him back, 2 weeks before hammerstein...bumble is just a second choice.

bucket

Board footer