You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Ex-GNR rocker recalls heyday of lavish videos, hotel partying [Gilby}

It's 5 p.m. on a Friday in Los Angeles, when most hard rockers are falling out of bed. But Guns N' Roses alum Gilby Clarke is back home from his 13-year-old daughter's basketball game, giving a phone interview outside the house. He doesn't want to disturb his brother and father's pool game.
Photos:

Gilby Clarke of "Rock Star: Supernova" and "Guns N' Roses" is coming to Fishlips 7:30 p.m. on Thursday.
Audio:

Clarke, 45, partied with Axl Rose, Slash and the guys when he replaced GNR guitarist Izzy Stradlinin the early '90s, and he's coming to Fishlips tonight. He also played on "The Spaghetti Incident?" and their live and greatest hits albums.

Since then he's gone solo and partnered with Tommy Lee on the reality TV show "Rock Star: Supernova."

Expect Guns N' Roses hits like "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," Clarke's own hit "Cure Me ... Or Kill Me ... " and a few Beatles and Rolling Stones covers at the Fishlips show.

The following is a snippet of our conversation with Clarke.

On his well-adjusted rock child:

Clarke: It's unbelievable, it's unbelievable. (Laughs) I mean, she actually gets straight A's ... Yeah, she's a good student, she does her homework every single night. She actually plays guitar and she has a band and they've played gigs and stuff, too, so it's fun.

On staying in touch with GNR bandmates:

I talk to Duff (McKagan). I run into Slash every now and then. I run into Matt (Sorum) every now and then. I never run into Axl. I actually haven't seen him ... well, I can't even remember, it's been a long time.

On a GNR reunion:

You never say never 'cause you never know. To say absolutely no is really stupid because you never know.

On GNR's legendarily over-the-top "November Rain" music video:

My wife was in it, too. I know she's in the wedding scene ... and we did the wedding reception. Our girlfriends and wives were all in that. It was a huge video at that time.

On the guy who jumped on the wedding cake:

You never know, it's not like with videos you get a script and you do it. Things just kinda happen. So you're hanging out and it's like, all right, now someone's gonna fly across and do a cake thing. We're like, "They are? Cool!"

Influences, including blues:

... When I was younger, I saw a poster of Jimi Hendrix and I was just like, "Wow, I wanna be that guy." And as I started getting Jimi Hendrix records ... The Rolling Stones were big back then, they would always bring up (as influences) guys like Muddy Waters and B.B. King and Robert Johnson.

The wildest thing he did with Guns N' Roses:

We went to Colombia and because there's so many kidnappings down there, we used to have armed guards in our rooms with us. When we got stuck in our rooms for so long, we ended up having to take over the whole floor and have our own party. And it was really great because we couldn't go out anywhere, so the promoter brought in everything. It was damn fun.

What he means by everything ... in Colombia:

Yeah, exactly. Just use your imagination. (Laughs) But it was a three-day party, which was really wonderful.

http://www.bakersfield.com/138/story/279415.html

That story about Columbia is crazy, armed guards wow.  I wonder if they partied too 5

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

Hahaha,thanx for posting.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

People shouldn't even bother asking him about a reunion. If one happens(which I seriously doubt now), I will bet my mother Gilby wont get a phone call.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

Id have to agree with that,it would more likely be Izzy.

F*ck Fear
 Rep: 4 

F*ck Fear wrote:

I like Gilby. Axl should have never fired that guy.

AtariLegend wrote:
F*ck Fear wrote:

I like Gilby. Axl should have never fired that guy.

Axl didn't...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Still a pretty decent read. He's the BBF of the old band, nice guy brought in out of nowhere.  I imagine he had to be stoked when he got that call back in 1991. Yeah, I don't think he'll get a call from GnR again. He filled a need, that was all.

PaSnow wrote:

Still a pretty decent read. He's the BBF of the old band, nice guy brought in out of nowhere.  I imagine he had to be stoked when he got that call back in 1991. Yeah, I don't think he'll get a call from GnR again. He filled a need, that was all.

You're right!  Never thought about the comparisons to BBF as far as fan friendly and just all around nice guy.

I doubt he would too.   Imagine if they brought every person to grace the GNR stage man that stage would be packed!

Board footer