You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

Re: (OLD NEWS!)The Limewire Leaks Discussion

-Jack- wrote:

I think songs like "This I Love" and "Sorry" are made less powerful because ALL the songs on the album are about a lost love/lost friendship/etc. It gets old IMO

I know people make fun of Axl for being too emotional and talking about past loves too much, but in this case at least 8 (arguements for more than 8 could be totally valid) of the songs are directed AT someone Axl used to love in some sort of way. That's too many songs in my opinion dedicated to past loves and regret...  hopefully Axl has all that out of his system now and the next album is different

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I am tryin so hard to not listen

McCoyGNR
 Rep: 0 

McCoyGNR wrote:

Pomised James I'd check this place out - cool idea about the indy section for leaks, keeps the whining to a minimum. Anyway, I was only sent TIL, Sorry and Scraped... I cant bear to listen to the tracks with all of the popping/cracking. But the intro to TIL is haunting... I refuse to listen to TIL in this quality, but if anyone can help me out with the other 11 tracks, I'd probably listen to them just because it wont be the first time hearing them. Thanks.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I dont want the newer songs but If someone has like Street Of Dreams or other stuff we've already heard a million times. I sure would love to listen sometime in the P.M. and not have to wait till morning.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Scraped- Literally one of the worst intros ever, and I'm being serious. How that made it out of the vault is mind boggling. The song itself is ok. Certain parts of it remind me of Oh My God for some reason. This is just a run of the mill, average rocker.

This I Love- Hello Barry Manilow. Long time no see. The lyrics even remind me of Manilow in the sense he would go to the lengths of selling his soul just to get verses to rhyme on it. Music is pretty damn good. Axl's piano work is the high point of the track. Like a few others, I wish I could hear the 92-95 version of this track. Not necessarily because I think the old band would do it better, I'd just like to hear the original vision of the track and see how it was in its infancy stage.

Ezrin was spot on with this track. It wants to be a November Rain but it falls short. Not even close to the 'heaviest' thing he's done, but obviously the track is held up to that standard by him for personal reasons.

Sorry- Baz, you're tone deaf. Nothing doom metal about this at all, and your description of the track makes no sense. This is a really great song. Its like a cross between Everlast and an outtake from Metallica's Black Album that was replaced by Unforgiven.

Downloading CITR right now.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Im gonna make a complaint

I loved SOD at RIR3

It was the one song his new High voice really sounded fantastic on

The rasp now just doesn't work for me as I think it sounds forced,strained and it zaps the emotional beauty that the intro had at RIR3

I may rip a copy of CD and replace the studio with RIR3 as it gives me chills.

I wish whoever ripped this knew how to get around that CD copy protection.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

I think songs like "This I Love" and "Sorry" are made less powerful because ALL the songs on the album are about a lost love/lost friendship/etc. It gets old IMO

That's a really, REALLY good point. The album is drowning in its own syrup. While I have only heard This I Love a few times, it cant stand out because it has to compete with so many other ballads. Sorry is great but also loses its luster a bit. Not only are the ballads drowning out other ballads, it makes the rockers stick out like sore thumbs.

Axl should have spread these songs out over two albums, although like I said when the tracklist first surfaced, I think its the best he's got and this is basically just a 'best of new GNR' cd.

Sky Dog wrote:

Are there more guitars in SOD? I think so.....this thing is gonna sound killer when cranked up on a good stereo.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Okay I kinda listened.

I just listened to the opening (before the skips) on Catcher, Scraped, Sorry & Love. And then bits and pieces of the middle & end, due to skips, but really not alot at all.

Catcher 2008 - sounds very different from the 1999 demo. I don't even hear May's guitar, so unless it's redone or buried under several guitars in the mix, I dunno. It takes away. The opening is really... bad. It's mixed to a point of being muddled. Too many sounds at once, for the ears to ever focus. The song is still very strong, and a great track, but at this time, until I hear the finished version uncut on the actual album, me thinks '99 was better.

Scraped - worst... opening... ever. For the most part the song is pretty good. It's very very different for GN'R, and i'm still out to lunch on just what it is and how good it is, being I refuse to listen to the rest. But the opening is terrible. I hate Riad's opening too, but Scraped's opening makes Riad look like Welcome To The Jungle. What convinced him to let that make the final cut is a head scratcher.

Sorry - i'm thinking Baz was intentionally being misleading. Because his description is ALL wrong. This is SOOOOO GN'R doing Pink Floyd. It sounds totally like a Floyd song, or at least the David Gilmour-era Floyd. It's so much in that direction, that Axl should've actually called Gilmour in to do guitar if he was interested. His voice is great, but this song will be something to chew on for decades imo.

This I Love - seems like a really good song. Not quite what I was expecting. I was expecting a cross between November Rain & Estranged, somewhere in-between the middle of those songs, and instead got something totally different. Does anyone else think this totally sounds like Axl doing Freddie Mercury? This sounds like a Queen song. As soon as I heard it, I thought it was Axl doing a cross between "Love Of My Life" and "Is This The World We Created?". That's really my opinion of this song. So if you liked those Queen songs, you'll like this.

I'd actually like to hear more of Axl doing straight up piano ballads like this. When he said a few years ago that some of the tracks sound like Queen, he wasn't kidding. Catcher, Love, Street of Dreams, If The World... all seem to have Queen-influences all over them.

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

madagas wrote:

Sorry and This I love are phenomenal in my opinion.....I have to say though...This I love needs Slash on the solo. It is a good solo but the song is tailor made for Slash.

I'm not saying this to be controversial - when I listened to This I Love I thought the solo sounded familiar - I was thinking Pink Floyd, no! Led Zeppelin, no! Then I realised it reminded me of Slash's solo in the Elan song Street Child - the way the bends are played. The significance of it being Slash as supposed to any other random guitarist took a couple of seconds to dawn on me. Then I remembered this song is from the Use Your Illusion era. This was before I read the above post or any reference to Slash - in fact I posted about this on MyGnr a few hours ago when I couldn't connect to this site.

I'll bet any money that solo is a Robin Finck re-recording of a Slash solo. Axl didn't want Slash on the record but liked the solo so he asked Robin Finck to re-record it (like BH re-recorded Brian May and Brain re-recorded Josh Freese, plenty of other examples I'm sure) with his own feel (you can hear a couple of Finck trademarks). Interesting to hear what Slash will have to say about this song.

Board footer