You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: (OLD NEWS!)The Limewire Leaks Discussion

James wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

for all anyone knows Axl could be talking about himself in the song Sorry,I find it pointless for anyone to try and figure out who or what Axl is talking about in any of the songs,I think people will come to their own conclusions without people trying to tell everyone else what they think the song is about when in reality no one will probably never know for sure.Just my opinion ofcourse.

Axl's writing talent lies in his ability to create so many interpretations of the meanings of each song. This isn't shallow AC/DC type lyrics. He has something to say in every song. Not only is discussion going to happen, he probably expects it.

James Lofton wrote:

Axl's writing talent lies in his ability to create so many interpretations of the meanings of each song. This isn't shallow AC/DC type lyrics. He has something to say in every song. Not only is discussion going to happen, he probably expects it.

I know and that's cool that everyone can talk about things like that on this site,that's what I have always liked about this site.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Nice breakdown pollux

I definitely think the song is primarily about Slash.  There are elements of it that could be about the media and certain groups of fans but overall it seems about a particular person, and definitely not a woman

I think that the parts about the person setting out to hurt him refers to the way Slash has repeatedly spoken about Axl in a negative light to the press.  The implication being that Slash knows Axl, knows he is a very private person, and understands that saying those things in a public forum would hurt him and does it anyway. 

The part about "nobody cares about you" probably has to do with how Slash has been interviewed about his Snakepit and VR albums but the interviewers always want him to talk about Guns and Axl. 

The "you've got all the answers, you know everything" part seems about how Slash has talked at length about the "right" way to make music and how Axl's methods don't line up his view of what's right. 

I love the "Nobody owes you, not one God damn thing" line, the way that it's sung and the way it fits the context of the song. 

The other thing is that he chose a song with such a beautiful, melodic Bucket solo to express these feelings which seems like an additional "fuck you"

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

for all anyone knows Axl could be talking about himself in the song Sorry,I find it pointless for anyone to try and figure out who or what Axl is talking about in any of the songs,I think people will come to their own conclusions without people trying to tell everyone else what they think the song is about when in reality no one will probably never know for sure.Just my opinion ofcourse.

I hope he isn't talking to himself. That would make the leap to complete nutjob. "hey axl, what is this other axl talking about. I don't know axl. fuck you too axl. I won't be toooold anymore."

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

Yeah, even going back to Appetite, Axl and Izzy both put a different spin on the rock star party life. Axl has gotten better and better as a songwriter over the years. He still has a great sense of creating catchy choruses. The one thing lacking on this record is the kind of catchy intros that Slash would come up with. You have to give these songs a chance and hear them out because the catchiness is not readily apparent in the intros. "Better" is a great example of that. If someone hears the first 30 seconds of it, they'll probably turn it off. But then it kicks ass after that. It takes almost 2 minutes of "Sorry" before the incredibly catchy chorus comes in.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

James Lofton wrote:

Great job at analyzing the song. It's definitely the big 'fuck you' on this album, and the album needed that. Bucket's solo suits this song perfectly in its Slash-like vibe.

The album as a whole is very personal, and its why tracks such as Shackler's and Scraped stand out like sore thumbs. They don't belong in the context of the other tracks. If Chinese Democracy was a concept album, it would fail simply for the inclusion of those two tracks.

I would agree with you on the Shackler's point, however the lyrics in Scraped are pretty fitting with the mood of the album, even if they are more upbeat

They are very defiant but in a positive way.  The stuff about feeling like the world's on his shoulders and his life's a catastrophe but overcoming it and refusing to relent or give up

Even Shackler's the "don't ever try to tell me how much you care for me" and "no one is stopping you from doing what you want to do" stuff is pretty fitting as well

JMO

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Pollux, that is a good analysis you came up with. I disagree with one part though. I don't think "Nobody owes you, not one goddamn thing" is about the fans. I think it's about Slash, Duff, and Matt. All three of them have demanded an apology from Axl over the years because they blame him entirely for the band's breakup. I think he's saying, "Fuck you, liars, I don't owe you anything."

Axl has been a prick through the years, but I also think their demonization of his style of music (they hated November Rain) is just as much of a cause for the breakup as the supposed "tyrannical" manner in which Axl led the band. They didn't respect his yearning to grow artistically. They wanted to be AC/DC part II and keep cranking out AFD every couple of years. Well they tried it with Velvet Revolver and it was a pretty pathetic group of songs on those two albums. Not one song from those albums is what I would consider classic and certainly none of them are anywhere near the level of the old band's efforts. There are several on CD that fall into the "classic" status in my opinion. "Sorry" is definitely one of them.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I agree.  I took that line "Nobody owes you, not one god damn thing" to be about Slash, Duff and Matt.  They have acted like Axl owes them an apology, as well as many other things, over the years. 

That was a great analysis Polluxum.  The more i think about the song, the more i really think it's Axl speaking out against everything that's been said to him by former members.  In my mind, the Buckethead solo just adds more credibility to this.  It's him taking Slash's work to the next level.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

I would agree with you on the Shackler's point, however the lyrics in Scraped are pretty fitting with the mood of the album, even if they are more upbeat

They are very defiant but in a positive way.  The stuff about feeling like the world's on his shoulders and his life's a catastrophe but overcoming it and refusing to relent or give up

That whole 'Don't you try to stop us now' thing just reeks of trying to be an anthem, and it falls way short of its goal. The song(and specifically that verse) would have been more fitting on an album in 99-01. Here in 2008, not so much. They stopped themselves years ago, so leave off the fake anthems.

I haven't listened to the track very much. Was unappealing the first time I heard it, so only went back to the well a couple times now that a cleaner version is out. Still doesn't impress me.

oneway23
 Rep: 0 

oneway23 wrote:

Polluxlm, that was a tremendous effort on your part.  Haven't heard the song yet, don't want to, but, in my eyes, there's apparently not too many other conclusions one could draw from those lyrics.  That piss n' vinegar was just what this album had been lacking.

Board footer